My Secret Formula

Cliff, would you mind posting your current preset banks for us so we can get an idea of the things you have been working with?

I just tried Cliff setting sugesstions about Character and Character Freq, I put Character on -0.50 Character Freq on 4234 Hz
Guess which one is Cliff Setting sugesstions X or Y?, may be it's very hard to say!, but I liked the Cliff Setting Suggestions a lot.

Well its harder to tell without a more dynamically exaggerated test clip, but clip Y above sounds darker and rounder to me (on my crappy PC speakers at work) and Cliff's setting is -0.5 to -1.0 (i.e., a negative Character parameter setting).

The manual provides that, "to darken the tone when playing harder, one might set ... the [Character] amount to a negative value" ... ergo ... I guess ... Y! :D

Sorry but wtf is a reverse homomorphic filter? I tried to look up the words and I'm still confused. :shock:ambivalence:

Do you mean wtf is an "inverse" homomorphic filter? :lol

Per Cliff in post # 40 ... he is his own lexicographer ... meaning he coins his own terms. :D

Occassionally, an inventor will coin their own term in the a patent application. It is perfectly acceptable to do so provided that the coined term is well defined in the application. :)

It is highly dependent on the amount of gain. This formula is designed for an "80's" lead tone.

I use on for my JCM800 preset because I find JCM800s get shrill as you turn the gain up. It also works well with the SLO 100 and Recto models.

The Character parameters control an "inverse homomorphic filter" which is a term I coined to describe a type of homomorphic signal processing. This filter is distortion dependent. The more distortion there is the more pronounced the effect of the filter. It's analogous to contrast and edge detection in image processing. The processing is dependent on the dynamic range of the image.

Cliff can you give us a formula on this parameters for Mark IV and IIC+, When MV is around 2:30 and Input drive is around 4 O'clock ?

I've just tried this with one of my dry tracks from reamping with and the JCM800
the effect didn't seem to do much until it was set at -4 and beyond [freq at 4kHz]

maybe this is cos my guitars are pretty hot…

sounded very nice though

I've tested the suggestion too. For me it's more about feeling it than hearing it... It's subtle, but I like it a lot.
I'm with Clarky about crankin' it a little if you want to "hear" the result. I like it around 4k-ish, -0.71 with Rectos.

I like it subtle :p

Wow I'm just gonna have SO much to learn...(yikes!), it begins tonight!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is VERY audible if your using with amps with gain.
Just tried this on the Friedment BE and PV5153 Blue and it's great little tone shaping tool.

Thanks for pointing this out Cliff, I probably would never have touched this parameter.

I just tried this on the 1987X with a Strat. We're doing Brewster's Reaching For You this Sunday, and I wasn't able to cop his "soft" yet percussive tone, and then when I would drive the amp harder for the solo it would really thin out up high. I ended up with a lower frequency than Cliff recommended for the JCM800, something like 1.5k with -2 or -3. Man it worked great! I had been trying to get it to fatten up by reducing the highs, but that only made it dull.

So I've been thinking about why 1.5k worked in my application and I've come up with this: The high notes I'm playing are around 880Hz, give or take. The first harmonic of those (I think) would be double that, or around 1.7k. So by dynamically reducing that first harmonic, based on the amount of distortion (i.e. harmonics), the root note stays thicker. Sound reasonable?

It is highly dependent on the amount of gain. This formula is designed for an "80's" lead tone.

I use on for my JCM800 preset because I find JCM800s get shrill as you turn the gain up. It also works well with the SLO 100 and Recto models.

The Character parameters control an "inverse homomorphic filter" which is a term I coined to describe a type of homomorphic signal processing. This filter is distortion dependent. The more distortion there is the more pronounced the effect of the filter. It's analogous to contrast and edge detection in image processing. The processing is dependent on the dynamic range of the image.

careful I live near San Francisco, you might offend the "LGBT" Community

Back
Top Bottom