My second Axe-Ultra freeze-up...feeling a bit more concerned

Radley

Experienced
My second Axe-Ultra freeze-up, and I'm feeling a bit more concerned. Again all I had to do was restart, but that would not be acceptable during a studio tracking session or a show. Could it be a low-level bug in the latest update, or something else?

~Rad~

Radley said:
My second Axe-Ultra freeze-up, and I'm feeling a bit more concerned. Again all I had to do was restart, but that would not be acceptable during a studio tracking session or a show. Could it be a low-level bug in the latest update, or something else?

~Rad~

Yes, it could. Anything you can do to try and narrow down the possibilities is extremely helpful. Try and note the preset or presets, what effects they may have in common, any other things that might be going on.

This was not using the editor right?

Java,

I was only using the knobs & buttons on the AFX - I would much prefer doing it via a Mac editor, but I believe that is still in Beta condition. I believe I was adjusting (raising) the Transformer LF cutoff parameter when the freeze occurred.

~Rad~

Radley:

As a computer guy:

Be at least 2 iterations of firmware behind...unless there is something you can't live without in a recent development. This lets the problems flesh out before you have to actually RELY upon this to work at a high level.

Or, more to the point, you should have a solid backup maybe on an earlier firmware.

Come on folks. If you go cutting edge, expect to get *cut* every once in awhile. Cliff is doing his best, but there are things even he can't forsee. Give it time to 'clean up'.

I do not consider this a valid complaint. If you have something working, don't screw with it unless you know it's something you need.

Ron

It's either a bug or a hardware problem. If the lockups always occur when you perform a particular operation, i.e. adjusting the transformer parameters, then this is a bug. Given that one wouldn't adjust the transformer parameters in the middle of a show one shouldn't be overly concerned but you should report the bug so that we can fix it.

If it's locking up randomly, even when not adjusting things, then it may be a hardware issue. Perhaps faulty memory or an out-of-spec voltage or something. In this case the unit should be sent in for service.

FractalAudio said:
It's either a bug or a hardware problem. If the lockups always occur when you perform a particular operation, i.e. adjusting the transformer parameters, then this is a bug. Given that one wouldn't adjust the transformer parameters in the middle of a show one shouldn't be overly concerned but you should report the bug so that we can fix it.

If it's locking up randomly, even when not adjusting things, then it may be a hardware issue. Perhaps faulty memory or an out-of-spec voltage or something. In this case the unit should be sent in for service.

Thanks Cliff,

I have never had my AFX lockup 'on it's own', but only when editing the advanced parameters. I guess this thread was my 'bug report', although I wasn't really sure if it was a bug that caused it.

I had the same thing happen here on 7.14 last weekend.

It locked up a few times, but at the time i was doing a lot of tweaking, and once i had everything tweaked, the axe was fine.
I`m not worried at all, when i`m playing out the axe has always perfomed flawlessly and i`m generally only tweaking constantly when at home .

electronpirate said:
Radley:

As a computer guy:

Be at least 2 iterations of firmware behind...unless there is something you can't live without in a recent development. This lets the problems flesh out before you have to actually RELY upon this to work at a high level.

Or, more to the point, you should have a solid backup maybe on an earlier firmware.

Come on folks. If you go cutting edge, expect to get *cut* every once in awhile. Cliff is doing his best, but there are things even he can't forsee. Give it time to 'clean up'.

I do not consider this a valid complaint. If you have something working, don't screw with it unless you know it's something you need.

Ron

Except for the fact that many time the firmware is fixing bugs :lol:
If he didn't mention this, how would Fractal know this was an issue unless they stumbled on it themselves. All the time in the world to clean up won't help unless you know it needs to be cleaned up. If a problem is never reported then it wouldn't matter if 10 iterations of went by, it still wouldn't be fixed because you can't really fix something if you don't know there is a problem.

Just had mine lock up mid-tweak (not the one I sent in before).

Was adjusting the Drive 1's Tone parameter -- quickly rolling from 10 to zero, but it stopped at 9.57 (about two or three seconds), the screen blinked (all blank (still lit) and then back to the regular display, off-on was about one second) and I couldn't adjust anything after that.
Drive type was on Pi Fuzz, Drive was not quite zero (either 0.16 or 0.20, according to the graphic), Level was default, Mix was 100%. Not sure on the Page 2 params, but I think they were default.
I'd been editing the drive and tone (including fairly rapid adjustments) for probably ten minutes before the lockup, and was playing through it.
No modifiers attached.
I don't believe I ever used either Editor on this patch.
I think I had the Drive block on row 2, column 2. Other blocks in the chain include Amp, Cab, Reverb, and shunts, and I think I have adjusted the main Noise Gate from the default parameters. CPU usage on the patch is about 48%.
The unit had been on for about a week -- started playing through it today about half an hour before the lockup.

As with the others on this thread, a simple reboot restored all functionality.
Can't seem to duplicate it yet.

I'm still on 7.16.

Happened a second time today.
As before, it's been turned on for probably a week or two (since my prior post, I believe) and it's worked perfectly during that time (been used for a number of hours between now and then, including a decent amount of patch editing). Like before, everything stopped (no sound, tempo light steadily lit), display goes blank (but still back-lit) for about a second and then returns, but no functionality until reboot.

This time, however, it happened while quickly scrolling through the presets on the normal Recall > Preset menu.

The patch it happened freeze up on (#190, +1 offset from #189) was one of a number of patches with absolutely nothing on it (no blocks, no shunts, nothing; all default parameters). There are also quite a few blank patches on either end of that one.

Hopefully that will help diagnose, if this still happens to be an issue after I upgrade the firmware.
I still can't predictably reproduce the error.

Back
Top Bottom