My Second Anniversary with The Magic Box

MKeditor

Experienced
I went back to the old original Axe forum to look something up and took a gander at some of my old posts. I discovered that yesterday was my second anniversary with the Axe-FX. It seems longer to me. I am very glad that I made the switch. I thought to celebrate it might be fun to look at the evolution of my rig since beginning this journey.

My rack rig early 2008
MKrig2008_last_sm.jpg

First Axe-FX rig with VHT 2502 and CAA 1X12s with vintage 30s
MKaxe_rig2008A_sm.jpg

Axe-FX FRFR rig with QSCs
MK_axe_rig_2008b_sm.jpg

Axe-FX FBT 12MAs w LF Pro
MK_axe_rig_2010a_sm.jpg

This rig suites my needs very well. If I were on a world tour or a top studio cat I might have a more elaborate set up but for what I do, it can't be beat.....but now I am preaching to the choir. :p

Enjoy!

Very nice !... first one looks like a mini Luke setup... very nice as well...
And I guess you are one of the few to actually get your hands on a LiquidFoot Pro...?

Nice setup !

Nice setup! I have a few questions:

1) Are the FBT's your favorite speaker of the bunch you've had?

2) Which features of the Lightfoot make you prefer it over the Ground Control?

3) Did you move the Axe to the top of the rack for any particular reason? (I was thinking heat problems maybe)

4) What's on the very bottom of your current rack?

Great journey! :cool:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that pedal board from? I'm looking for somehting about that size.

Spence

xpenno said:
Great journey! :cool:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that pedal board from? I'm looking for somehting about that size.

Spence

would like to know that also!

MotherSea said:
Nice setup! I have a few questions:

1) Are the FBT's your favorite speaker of the bunch you've had?

2) Which features of the Lightfoot make you prefer it over the Ground Control?

3) Did you move the Axe to the top of the rack for any particular reason? (I was thinking heat problems maybe)

4) What's on the very bottom of your current rack?

The FBT's are the best sounding so far. There are scarce in the USA and I think that QSC's build quality is better. We did a FRFR shootout a while back (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13032) . If I were in the market now I would consider the QSC K-12's.

The Liquid Foot Pro is much more powerful than the GP Pro. More IA's, more everything. Jeff is hard to track down though...and from what I hear, getting harder to reach all the time. He did right by me though.

The pedal board is a custom build from NYC pedal boards.
The Axe is on top so that I can see the tuner and that is just how things fit best in back. I have a few wall warts that are a tight fit and the drawer is deep.

The bottom has two half space units. One is a Digital Music Corp System Mix. That allows me to add the band monitor mix into my speakers. Also I can play MP3's from my Android phone to learn songs or jam. The other unit is a custom rack interface made for me by LA Sound Design to route cables from back to front and allow aux inputs. You can read more about it here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9847

MKeditor said:
If I were in the market now I would consider the QSC K-12's.

Meaning you'd dump the power amp? I'm starting to see the appeal to passive speakers; is this something easily given up in your opinion?

The QSC K-12 is a powered speaker. I am not excited to go back to a separate power amp. I wouldn't want to add weight to the rack. Having powered speakers distributes the load making the rig more livable to transport.

MKeditor said:
The QSC K-12 is a powered speaker. I am not excited to go back to a separate power amp. I wouldn't want to add weight to the rack. Having powered speakers distributes the load making the rig more livable to transport.

For some reason I thought I thought I remembered seeing the VHT in all the pictures, so in my mind I figured you had the passive FBT's. Oops!

MotherSea said:
MKeditor said:

For some reason I thought I thought I remembered seeing the VHT in all the pictures, so in my mind I figured you had the passive FBT's. Oops!

It didn't take me too long to discover that my vintage 30's were adding their distinct flavor to every patch. I needed neutral amplification to allow the sims to do their job. Also there was the weight issue of the VHT.

Back
Top Bottom