My Satriani masterclass video entry.

jethro

Inspired
This is Joe's song called "god is crying".I play my own riffs/chops over it.Its for a contest with guitar center.Many people have commented on the tone and want to know what amp it is.They freak when I tell them there is no amp.AXE FX II in my monitors.Anyway check it out,I thought it was pretty good with only a few mistakes.

Satriani Masterclass Contest - YouTube

The Good:
- you're having fun :)
- sounds seems to be fun to play
- don't know the original, but your chops are ok

The Bad:
- some out of tune bending

& The Ugly:
- the quick vibrato... You could sound 30% better by working on that (you bet that I know it's difficult, you have to remind yourself to not do it like that on every instance and maybe it will become natural. Stress situations make it more difficult and you may fall back to bad habits...)

I'm probably out of line again, but that's me and I mean well. Good luck! :)

The Good:
- you're having fun :)
- sounds seems to be fun to play
- don't know the original, but your chops are ok

The Bad:
- some out of tune bending

& The Ugly:
- the quick vibrato... You could sound 30% better by working on that (you bet that I know it's difficult, you have to remind yourself to not do it like that on every instance and maybe it will become natural. Stress situations make it more difficult and you may fall back to bad habits...)

I'm probably out of line again, but that's me and I mean well. Good luck! :)

You nailed it! I was very nervous.It is not like being in the studio at all.I've played guitar for over 30 years an this was one of the hardest things I had to do.I played live in front of thousands of people but I have never had a huge HD camera in my face like that.It was very strange.That was my first take. Thanks for your honest review!

Just a quick practice tip for vibrato. Most people dont focus on the timing of their vibrato and it comes across as such when they play. Here's a practice method I have had great success teaching. Practice you vibrato in time to a metronome. Start with eight notes at a slow tempo, then try eighth triplets. It will make a huge difference on the finished product if your vibrato grooves.

What helps my vibrato is not starting it immediately. Let it come in naturally after half a second or so.
What makes me do the same as you is stress situations, not paying attention, and not hearing myself well enough, or the tempo of the song. How your finger is placed can play a role too. If it didn't come down ideally, you sometimes can have no other choice than play a less desirable vibrato.
I guess finger / hand strength has a role too. Strong people potentially may have it easier?

BTW, correcting myself: quick vibrato is not bad by definition of course (BB King?, etc.)

great sound and I thought very well played (the vibrato thing could use a little work but is not terrible by any means)
I do the same thing when I get nevrous too (or stop paying attention and get sloppy)
the Wah sounds killer how about sharing this patch or just your wah settings?
great video , don't be put off by his "gruff" manner he is actually hilarious but is a very good player and is right on the money
on his vibrato "talk"

I have never been so nervous.I am using a morley bad horsie wah wah.And a digitech whammy.I will post the patch soon.I dont really know how but I would like to give back and share it.How do I do it?

great sound and I thought very well played (the vibrato thing could use a little work but is not terrible by any means)
I do the same thing when I get nevrous too (or stop paying attention and get sloppy)
the Wah sounds killer how about sharing this patch or just your wah settings?
great video , don't be put off by his "gruff" manner he is actually hilarious but is a very good player and is right on the money
on his vibrato "talk"

WOW! That dude is awesome! He is very Gruff But he gets his point across.Great video and I subed to his channel.Helluva player! Good lookin out!

Back
Top Bottom