My RUSH 80s preset

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
This is my best effort yet to come up with a Hold Your Fire era Rush tone but I could use some help to make it better. I haven't yet managed to get the sparkle on the high notes, although I'm sure it must be possible. I dialled it in using my Washburn Parallaxe fitted with a Bare Knuckles VHII bridge pickup. (I tried it with a Strat but instead of becoming more sparkly it just sound ice-picky.) I found the secret to getting a more authentic tone for this is running a direct signal in parallel with the cabinet; without this it lacks the required punch and attack, and it helps to add the aforementioned sparkly high end.

Your contributions welcomed.

EDIT: Preset now improved!

Attachments

• Rush 80s.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
This is my best effort yet to come up with a Hold Your Fire era Rush tone but I could use some help to make it better. I haven't yet managed to get the sparkle on the high notes, although I'm sure it must be possible. I dialled it in using my Washburn Parallaxe fitted with a Bare Knuckles VHII bridge pickup. (I tried it with a Strat but instead of becoming more sparkly it just sound ice-picky.) I found the secret to getting a more authentic tone for this is running a direct signal in parallel with the cabinet; without this it lacks the required punch and attack, and it helps to add the aforementioned sparkly high end.

Your contributions welcomed.

Thanks for the effort, cant wait to try it out later tonight or tomorrow! I know some people hate this era of Rush tone, but I think it is cool, and very elusive.

Great preset . I added some Delay and it sounds great with my start with single coils. I started playing "Time stands still" and it sounded great.

I found the secret to getting a more authentic tone for this is running a direct signal in parallel with the cabinet; without this it lacks the required punch and attack, and it helps to add the aforementioned sparkly high end.
This is also how Alex achieved it. I've read and seen interviews where he mentions this.

Made some tweaks to this preset and uploaded new version. Much happier with it now. Played Time Stand Still with my Warmoth Tele and it sounds pretty good to me (if still lacking a little high end sparkle).

Back
Top Bottom