My Road to an AXE FX

Good read, PJ! Thanks for sharing! Which IEMs did you get? Any advice on using them? Do you use them at band practice, or even for personal practice? How are you mixing your ambient mic inro your IEMs?

Good read, PJ! Thanks for sharing! Which IEMs did you get? Any advice on using them? Do you use them at band practice, or even for personal practice? How are you mixing your ambient mic inro your IEMs?

Thanks Izzy!

I got the Shure PSM900 that came with the SE425 buds. Went to get ear impressions and got the custom mold tips for the SE425. They sound really good. Right now I'm looking to get the JH16 pro, probably in a month or two.

I use them during practice, at home when writing also.

I'm mixing my ambient mic with a Rolls RM65 mixer (one rack).

Here's a pic that shows the ambient mic (on the right side) and my rack (which I'm blocking! LOL).

ambientmic.jpg

Enjoyed reading it PJ. I like the original way you use an ambient mic.

2 questions if you don't mind:

what ambient mic do you use?

My AXE Out 1 is going to the FOH and the Out 2 is going to my IEM. Also, I have an ambient mic near me that acts as my "ears" and I'm set! I can hear everything! And I don't have to bother anyone: the soundguy can mix me however he wants (I now tell him not to put me too loud in the monitor or just very little)
Why do you still need a monitor?

Enjoyed reading it PJ. I like the original way you use an ambient mic.

2 questions if you don't mind:

what ambient mic do you use?

Why do you still need a monitor?

Thanks!

The monitor is the house monitor and I have them run some of my sound in case my IEM fail on me (had my wireless do that a few times before), and the bass player uses alot of the stage and still wants to hear me when he "visits" my side of the stage LOL

Also, picking up the guitar sound through the ambient mic adds a little more depth too, which is cool.

Right now I'm using an MXL 1001 condenser mic. Will mostly upgrade down the line but it's pretty good for what I'm using it for.

Thanks!

The monitor is the house monitor and I have them run some of my sound in case my IEM fail on me (had my wireless do that a few times before), and the bass player uses alot of the stage and still wants to hear me when he "visits" my side of the stage LOL

Also, picking up the guitar sound through the ambient mic adds a little more depth too, which is cool.

Right now I'm using an MXL 1001 condenser mic. Will mostly upgrade down the line but it's pretty good for what I'm using it for.

Cool! What's the best place to start for the mic on stage?

If your impressions were well made, they shouldn't get sore, as its basically the same thing as a custom ear shell for a hearing aid, which is meant to be worn for extended periods each day. Some people's anatomy though can present unique changes such as the shape of the ear canal changing when they open their mouth, ie; singing, which can then cause some discomfort, but as a whole, other than ear fatigue, you should not expect IEM's to cause any pain or discomfort, and they really are helpful in protecting your hearing by allowing you to get a good stage mix at reasonable levels since you don't have to have a cranked amp or floor monitors to hear over the live drummer etc. Little pricey up front for sure but well worth it.

My $0.02 as an audiologist in training

For me so far it works best on the side of the stage (offstage) pointing towards the rest of the band. At one gig I tried putting it closer to the drums but all I kept hearing was the crash.

Might add another ambient mic on the other side of the stage (read some guys do that).

Back
Top Bottom