My Riff entry for "Rob Chappers Rig Competition" with ML Zilla Cabs

Hyper Planet

Power User
Hey fellers,

This is my riff entry for Rob Chappers Rig Competition which was really exciting for me because you must only use the first 4 frets of the guitar for writing your riff.
I used 2 IR's from ML Zilla Cab-pack which is really sounds exclusive full details and authentic! I used PVH 6160 BLOCK for amp in the chain.

any comments are appreciated :)

Ohhh, it's basically D standard Tuning with the low D dropped to A.
The A threw me off completely :D

I guess You have the bridge fully blocked right?

Obviously you can also call it D Standard with low A in music there are so much ways you can call something, but if you wanna consider it in more details, it's an Open Tuning which goes:

In the open tunings, the six strings are tuned to form a simple chord. This makes it easy to play unusual chordal combinations and interesting tonal clusters by utilizing "drone" and "sustained" strings. Bottleneck slide and harmonics are wonderful in open tunings, because you can play full six string chords. And you can play bar chords with only one finger!

As for the bridge I easily adjusted it by rolling the back of the body screws with increasing the springs length not to mentioned you need using a heavier string gauge normally Daddario NYXL offers a wide range of gauges for guitar tuning

Last edited:
Obviously you can also call it D Standard with low A in music there are so much ways you can call something, but if you wanna consider it in more details, it's an Open Tuning which goes:

In the open tunings, the six strings are tuned to form a simple chord. This makes it easy to play unusual chordal combinations and interesting tonal clusters by utilizing "drone" and "sustained" strings. Bottleneck slide and harmonics are wonderful in open tunings, because you can play full six string chords. And you can play bar chords with only one finger!

As for the bridge I easily adjusted it by rolling the back of the body screws with increasing the springs length not to mentioned you need using a heavier string gauge normally Daddario NYXL offers a wide range of gauges for guitar tuning
Yeah, but open tuning is a little deceiving, D with a low A is more understandable from a "talking" point of view.

So the bridge is not blocked, it's still floating. ;)

Yeah, but open tuning is a little deceiving, D with a low A is more understandable from a "talking" point of view.

So the bridge is not blocked, it's still floating. ;)

I don't wanna debate with you but your words show your knowledge of the neck !, Apparently could be understandable for some people, but if a musician or anyone ask you what's the reason of tuning the low string on A ?!!
F.ex why isn't it on G or Ab ?

I don't wanna debate with you but your words show your knowledge of the neck !, Apparently could be understandable for some people, but if a musician or anyone ask you what's the reason of tuning the low string on A ?!!
F.ex why isn't it on G or Ab ?
Oh nono, I was referring litterally to a talking point of view; it's easier to rember it as D tuning with an A than the actual chord that gives the name to the tuning (only in this case, since the notes are the same).
If You tell somebody "This is Open "X" Tuning, they might think "What the hell are these notes" because they are not familiar with it, but saying D Tuning with a Low A, they might get it a little easier.

It's also considered as a variant of the Dropped A tuning (but on a 6 strings).
I don't remember which song it was, but Periphery use that (I think on the first album there's one)

The 6th (7th, 123rd, whatever) string can be tuned to anything You want, You could even tune all the strings to E just for the sake of doing it; of course, You don' get much choice with it :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom