AFIII My rendition of "Hurt"

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
I've been playing an acoustic/vocal version of this song for years, which is basically a cover of Sevendust's version of it. I put my own twist on it and I think this is the first song where I didn't record a distorted guitar on. Definitely exorcised some demons with this one.

Practically everything in this song went through the AxeFX except the drums. There's vocal delays, reverbs for the orchestra stuff, all the guitars, bass and acoustics were the AxeFX. I mic'd my acoustic with a 57 while also plugging it into the AxeFX, it's like a 60/40 mic/AxeFX split.

Hope ya digs-

Production on this is amazing. Well done!

Aside: did you drop the flat 7 from the outro/chorus section? It sounds too...relaxed. Missing some of that NIN tension.

Last edited:
Production on this is amazing. Well done!

Aside: did you drop the flat 7 from the outro/chorus section? It sounds too...relaxed. Missing some of that NIN tension.

Thanks, man!

Yeah, that definitely would have kicked in some tension. The arrangement/tuning is mainly what I borrowed from Sevendust, they played it in C# G# C# F# B C# and don’t really stray far from the basic chords. Maybe I can work that into some of the orchestra instruments, that’d add some cool tension to it, for sure.

Funnily enough, I spent about 12 hours yesterday recording the music, got it all done and it was sounding pretty damn good without mixing. Then I realized I cut off one measure at the end of each chorus and there was no amount of copy/pasting I could do. I had to re-record everything from scratch. So while I spent probably 15-16 hours total, what you’re hearing is actually 4 hours of work after I already put 10-12 into it and had to start over. :D

Thanks, man!

Yeah, that definitely would have kicked in some tension. The arrangement/tuning is mainly what I borrowed from Sevendust, they played it in C# G# C# F# B C# and don’t really stray far from the basic chords. Maybe I can work that into some of the orchestra instruments, that’d add some cool tension to it, for sure.

Funnily enough, I spent about 12 hours yesterday recording the music, got it all done and it was sounding pretty damn good without mixing. Then I realized I cut off one measure at the end of each chorus and there was no amount of copy/pasting I could do. I had to re-record everything from scratch. So while I spent probably 15-16 hours total, what you’re hearing is actually 4 hours of work after I already put 10-12 into it and had to start over. :D
I've done a similar thing more times than I'd like to admit. I sketch it all out on a pad of paper now to help me remember the arrangement. :D

I've done a similar thing more times than I'd like to admit. I sketch it all out on a pad of paper now to help me remember the arrangement. :D

I’ve been playing this one for so long that it was like 2nd nature, so as I was tracking the guide guitar/vocal, I’d just cut in and out of the vocal as like a place marker…..not realizing I was off by one measure. It took me forever to figure out where it was occurring as well. I made one 3 minute attempt at editing it and realized there was no way I was going to get it to work. I needed that B5th at the end of the chorus to ring out alone, it doesn’t appear anywhere else in the song. :D

Awesome man! Gave me chills.
That song hits close to home for me.

my father’s favorite artist was Johnny Cash.
I watched my father die the same long tortuous death as Cash (Shy-Dragers Syndrome). The disease is so rare that you have to look up Multiple System Atrophy, you won’t find anything on it otherwise . It took 7 years for my Father to get a diagnosis. That devastating disease takes 10 years to slowly make every organ in your body fail, starting with little things like tear ducts not able to lubricate eyes, for example….. It’s the cruelest disease I can imagine. Johnny Cash recorded that song in 2002, and died in 2003. I cannot comprehend how he even got through the recording. I do hear “ALL” the pain in the recording of “Hurt”, that’s for sure!!!

anyway, you did that song justice, not an easy feat.

This song is timeless whether Cash or anyone else is covering it. Great job.

Absolutely. And really, this could be done in every genre and it would be great. Aside from that one up-tempo EDM version I heard a while back. It’s not a party song. :D

Thank you!

Awesome man! Gave me chills.
That song hits close to home for me.

my father’s favorite artist was Johnny Cash.
I watched my father die the same long tortuous death as Cash (Shy-Dragers Syndrome). The disease is so rare that you have to look up Multiple System Atrophy, you won’t find anything on it otherwise . It took 7 years for my Father to get a diagnosis. That devastating disease takes 10 years to slowly make every organ in your body fail, starting with little things like tear ducts not able to lubricate eyes, for example….. It’s the cruelest disease I can imagine. Johnny Cash recorded that song in 2002, and died in 2003. I cannot comprehend how he even got through the recording. I do hear “ALL” the pain in the recording of “Hurt”, that’s for sure!!!

anyway, you did that song justice, not an easy feat.

Wow, thank you for sharing that and I’m sorry that was something you and your family experienced. Honestly, after reading that and having you tell me I did it justice just totally overwhelmed me. I very much appreciate that, brother, thank you.

One of my favorite songs - particularly the lyrics (especially the Johnny Cash recording). Amazing that one person can can do what I just heard. Fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed it.

One of my favorite songs - particularly the lyrics (especially the Johnny Cash recording). Amazing that one person can can do what I just heard. Fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed it.

Thank you so much, brother.

The last year has really taken a lot out of me, so comments like that are remarkably healing. Thank you so much.

Fantastic job!!

I've only appreciated the NiN version after watching this. Pure genius:

Wow…..that’s pretty crazy, for a couple different reasons-

There’s a lot of parallels between him and I as far as “Not knowing who I was at the time”, because I feel like in the last year, I’m barely a shell of who I once was. I’m coming back around again, but it’s not an easy process. At all. I put the strings/brass section in at the end of the song to be uplifting, despite the lyrical content/delivery, to represent me learning what I needed to cut out of my life and moving onward and upward.

Thanks for posting that, kind of makes me feel a little better knowing I kept the original intent of the song intact, though I didn’t know that was the intent. Really goes to show how the emotional content of music can deliver a message better than words can.

Thank you, brother!

Back
Top Bottom