My recording presets vs the FRFR I just bought.

I am the devil

Hey everyone. Don’t throw rocks at me if this has already been covered, please!

The past 5 years or so with my various fractal versions have been strictly in my studio rack. I’ve not had a need to get an amp or play them live. However, now I do. I just bought a Mission Gemini 1x12 powered cabinet for live and rehearsal purposes. However, I’ve been going SPDIF into my Apollo for years, and have built all of the presets that I want to carry over to this band as stereo presets. For example, my “main” distortion is 2 amps, hard panned, and the biggest part of this particular sound is the delay I have set between the left and right sides. 1msec on the left and 20msec on the right.
Long story short, is this going to translate AT ALL to this 1x12 amp? Am I going to have phase issues? And lastly, is there a quick and easy way to make the preset mono amp compatible, besides removing stereo effects?
Thanks in advance for anyone kind enough to share some knowledge. Something is telling me I am going to have to run 2 cabs. And that’s going to suck. Obviously, running to FOH from the fractal is mostly going to be in play. But I don’t want my rehearsal and on stage sound to be garbage.

As long as you don't have phase reversal, it might work ok. The best answer is plug it in and see if it works for YOU. I'm betting you'll need to change your BMT settings as cranking 85-95dB will definitely change the tone compared to listening through monitors.

Summing the stereo haas effect delays to mono will likely cause phase issues and give you a hollow, tin can kind of sound.

Post a preset so we'll have a better idea of what you're working with. There's many ways to skin a cat in the Axe III.

Yeah sure. Here is one of them. Scene 1 is not complete, and is a work in progress. Scene 2 however is my main distorted sound while recording with a Jazzmaster for the most part. For this particular preset I wouldn't be using anything beyond scene 2. And I haven't yet sorted out the outputs for cabinet, FOH yet.

Attachments

• JM - WRHB 1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Looks like the haas delay effect is the predominant stereo effect, so you should be able to place that at the end of the chain to feed FOH only and split off before it to feed the 1x12 in L+R output mode using the OUT2 block. Your pitch detune is panned wide stereo, but its mix is pretty low, so I doubt it would make a noticeable difference if summed to mono.

One thing I noticed is you're using a dual delay with one side at 1ms and the other at 20ms for the widening effect. You've also got 20% feedback on the 1ms delay which is likely causing some subtle ringing in the tone and adding unnecessary latency (not that you'd notice 1ms). You can save some CPU by using the Enhancer block in Classic mode instead. It delays the right channel only to create the exact same widening effect. Set the width parameter to 100% to get the full 20 ms of delay on the right channel, or set it to 95% to get the 19 ms of difference you're getting with the dual delay block.

Something is telling me I am going to have to run 2 cabs. And that’s going to suck. Obviously, running to FOH from the fractal is mostly going to be in play. But I don’t want my rehearsal and on stage sound to be garbage

Just because you're running one speaker doesn't instantly make your sound garbage, and as has been mentioned, running 2 speakers doesn't mean your studio sound is going to translate to a live application either. The reality is that you will need to adjust your presets to get them working with your band and that the majority of your live audience probably won't even notice the stereo effects anyway.

I know it's frustrating but persevere as the Axe is a killer unit for live use, in my experience how you get there is largely by using your ears

Back
Top Bottom