AFIII My realtime sound sounds more fluid and thicker than the recording

Merlin

Experienced
Hey everyone,

I'm not familiar with recording, but I noticed that a recording of a show that we gave (the sound from the mixing console is continued in the video) and recordings that I make with my newly purchased zoom H5 sound different than what I immediately experience in the moment of play about my CLRs. Especially in lead sounds, the directly played sound sounds more fluid and thicker than the recording, does anyone have an idea how this can be done and I can solve this?

Hans

In most cases this is because of volume. At gig level you play at a much higher volume which will give you a much more satisfying tonal blast in the face for various reasons. However, I've never had a problem with my recorded live sounds, so maybe check if the sound guy has done anything on the console to either your FOH feed, or the feed that he sends to the recording? Check if he does anything with compression/EQ for example. Remember, if you are connecting your CLR directly to the AxeFX as a monitor (my assumption), then you are not hearing the actual FOH signal which 'might' sound exactly like the recording.

Also, the position of the Zoom H5 will make a world of difference to the recorded sound. It will pick up the strongest frequencies based on where you position it in the room, so you might need to experiment a bit with where you put it in the room to get a decent recording from the PA (I'm assuming you guys use a PA as you have a mix console).

Another possible factor is dear old Fletcher Munson, if you dial in your lead tones at room level then crank them up, you might find that they get more bassy/trebly. You might not notice this when you are "in the moment" with a solo, but it could come through in the recording.

Either way, recording a gig they way you are doing it is a great way to listen to how you sound and help you tweak your tones afterwards.

Thanks for the clear explanation, I think I should also take a good look at the levels of my zoom, because I record via line in and not the mics, I will also go through the menus for any eq etc. The live situation can really have a Fletcher Mundson effect I am guessing, only at home I play just as hard on the clr as I listen back on the clr, maybe first try the zoom in different ways, today I will also do a test to use the to record microphones, see if I can hear what I hear in real time, that should happen.

Good point, the input levels on the Zoom are definitely worth checking too. Presumably the Zoom is connected to the mix console and not your AxeFx for live gigs? If so, then check what is happening with the Sends on the mix console to your Zoom. E.g. maybe the sound guy is adding reverb for the room, and that is also being recorded which might affect your recorded sounds.

A lot of times what you hear on stage will be different then what comes through in the mix. In my experience it’s all about the quality of the sound guy. Sometimes sound guys will mix You low because of your stage volume resulting in lower levels on the recording.
These were all recorded with the zoom camera direct as you describe. If the sound guy is good I think the quality will be good as well

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-royal-scam.166734/

Back
Top Bottom