My rackcase is finally finished! Custom patchbay and drawer

Those SKB racks are too tight. If you put your drawer in the middle it might work, the racks are tighter at the top and bottom. Worth a try, but it might still be too tight.

Those SKB racks are too tight. If you put your drawer in the middle it might work, the racks are tighter at the top and bottom. Worth a try, but it might still be too tight.

Thanks for the confirmation man! I'm bummed out by it.

I'm thinking of getting a rack bag, as the case was really getting too heavy to transport every week.

Awesome, thanks! I can't find anything like that in the states, but it looks like they would ship to me. How well do you think it actually protects surges/spikes?

Awesome, thanks! I can't find anything like that in the states, but it looks like they would ship to me. How well do you think it actually protects surges/spikes?

It think the fuse just pops when it gets a massive spike. So it can hopefully save your gear once. Put it's nothing compared to a High-End Furmann ;)

I had the same problem with the SKB case so I had to go back to a wood case: heavier but more rigid than plastic one.

I had the same problem with the SKB case so I had to go back to a wood case: heavier but more rigid than plastic one.

One would think that all 19" cases have the same dimensions and all 19" specified gear would fit flawlessly!

I'm actually looking at buying a rackbag, since it's much more convenient to transport every week. At the moment I'm really doubting whether I should go for a 2U bag for solely the Axe-Fx or get a 3U for Axe and Matrix. The Warwick rockbags are pretty deep, so the 3U would give me enough space for both devices and cables.

One would think that all 19" cases have the same dimensions and all 19" specified gear would fit flawlessly!

I'm actually looking at buying a rackbag, since it's much more convenient to transport every week. At the moment I'm really doubting whether I should go for a 2U bag for solely the Axe-Fx or get a 3U for Axe and Matrix. The Warwick rockbags are pretty deep, so the 3U would give me enough space for both devices and cables.

Rackbags are convenient indeed. I've had better luck with Thomann's Millennium rack bags than with those from Warwick. When I got the Warwick the zipper got faulty very soon. I'd combine the power amp and Axe-Fx in one bag.

The 3U I got is deep enough to allow velcro-ing a 19" power strip in the rear of the rackbag.

Aww... denied
mellow.gif

Rackbags are convenient indeed. I've had better luck with Thomann's Millennium rack bags than with those from Warwick. When I got the Warwick the zipper got faulty very soon. I'd combine the power amp and Axe-Fx in one bag.

The 3U I got is deep enough to allow velcro-ing a 19" power strip in the rear of the rackbag.

Thanks for the advice Yek! I'd probably need the extra depth the Warwick provides over the Millenium, as I'm planning to attach my wireless receiver in the back. I'm also thinking of installing rear rack rails in the Warwick soo I can re-use my patchbay, as it has cost a lot of time and money to make it!

Reactions: yek
There has to be a case that will allow this to work. What about Gater case?

Most certainly there have to be cases that allow the drawer to work correctly and a straight wooden case would be a perfect fit. But to be honest I'm getting really tired of hauling all my equipment to and from rehearsals. So I'm looking at a more convenient way to transport everything (I need to do stairs so a trolly involved an extra burden).

I just put my equipment on the scale and it looks like I've been doing a weekly fitness regime by just going to our rehearsals:

Rack case: 23 kg​
Guitar bag: 7 kg​
Pedalboard in bag: 12 kg​
TOTAL: 42KG OR 92,5 LBS​

At the moment they're working in the neighborhood of the place we rehearse. So I have to park the car a lot farther than usual, which also means I have cover much more distance with my gear.

The SKB case is a pain to carry as the handles aren't that good and the size is just to bulky. That's why I'd like to buy a bag with a shoulder strap.

I hope this explains my train of thought! :D

I've mailed SKB regarding the problem and I hope they get in touch soon. I've heard they have a good warranty program, so I hope they can help me out!

Reactions: yek
Most certainly there have to be cases that allow the drawer to work correctly and a straight wooden case would be a perfect fit. But to be honest I'm getting really tired of hauling all my equipment to and from rehearsals. So I'm looking at a more convenient way to transport everything (I need to do stairs so a trolly involved an extra burden).

I just put my equipment on the scale and it looks like I've been doing a weekly fitness regime by just going to our rehearsals:
Rack case: 23 kg​
Guitar bag: 7 kg​
Pedalboard in bag: 12 kg​
TOTAL: 42KG OR 92,5 LBS​

At the moment they're working in the neighborhood of the place we rehearse. So I have to park the car a lot farther than usual, which also means I have cover much more distance with my gear.

The SKB case is a pain to carry as the handles aren't that good and the size is just to bulky. That's why I'd like to buy a bag with a shoulder strap.

I hope this explains my train of thought! :D

Oh I hear you... I have been looking at solutions with wheels as well as rack bag. The shell of the rack or bag is the least of the weight. I think Larry Mitchell has the lightest gig bag I have seen, nothing more than a back pack to carrie the Axe and MFC and cables. Nothing fancy or protective for that matter. Its kind of a catch 22 the Axe whatever midi board and expression peddles your using is creating the weight. Slimming down on the board and going to plastic expression peddles takes some of the functionality and durability from your rig and all you save are a few Kilos/pounds not to mention it looks kind of cheesy .

Oh I hear you... I have been looking at solutions with wheels as well as rack bag. The shell of the rack or bag is the least of the weight. I think Larry Mitchell has the lightest gig bag I have seen, nothing more than a back pack to carrie the Axe and MFC and cables. Nothing fancy or protective for that matter. Its kind of a catch 22 the Axe whatever midi board and expression peddles your using is creating the weight. Slimming down on the board and going to plastic expression peddles takes some of the functionality and durability from your rig and all you save are a few Kilos/pounds not to mention it looks kind of cheesy .

So true! I have just ordered a 3U rackbag for my Axe and Matrix. At first I was thinking of buying two 2U bags. One containing my Axe-Fx and one containing my Matrix and drawer. The big advantage was that I could leave my Matrix in our rehearsal place and I only had to carry my Axe-Fx, guitar and pedalboard home. But this would also mean that my freshly made patchbay would be rendered useless and obsolete. And the biggest disadvantage would be that I had to connect the Axe and Matrix every rehearsal...

So what 's the plan now:

I have ordered a Warwick 3U rockbag and 3U rack rails that I will install in the back. So I can just transfer my Axe-FX, Matrix and Patchbay to the bag. With some luck I can even install my wireless in the back and have everything in the 3U bag. It will be heavier but this means that I always have my full rig with me and I can go jamming with friends whenever I want. Also less hassle on gigs to setup.

Once I have my patches and effects ready, I will fully program my pedalboard. If this is finished I can basically leave my pedalboard at the rehearsal space and only take it home if I want to do something specific with it. For home usage I have an old Boss FC-50 midi controller which I can use to change patches. I can even buy a cheap expression pedal for home usage.

Once the traffic workers are finished in the neighborhood around our rehearsal space, I won't have to walk that far with my gear and I can even start using my trolley again. So I think the 3U will be doable... At least I hope so :D

Back
Top Bottom