My rackcase is finally finished! Custom patchbay and drawer

SOAWM

Inspired
I've had my Axe-Fx for a couple of months now and I can finally say that my rack is finished! I soldered a patchbay myself and since I didn't want to spend money towards a wireless rackk-unit, I had to come up with a idea to incorporate my beloved XDS-PLUS (predecessor of the Line 6 G50).

Pictures say more than a thousand words:

4U SKB case with Axe-Fx II, Matrix GT1000FX and a 1u drawer

10_zps060e1c0d.jpg

Custom patchbay with color-coding and a 3U grill to protect the insides.

6_zps810d8d67.jpg

Protection for the Ethercon input as I don't want to insert a USB-cable by accident (like many have :( )

5_zps7cba8afd.jpg

Insides of the case. On the first picture you can see that I wired something special to the powercon. It's a "surge protected" outlet with two IEC plugs and one FIG-8. I cut of the FIG-8 and soldered a socket to it, to fit my One Spot adapter for the wireless. I had to come up with a way to power the 3 devices with only one input.

4-1_zps85731999.jpg

2-1_zps3070adb5.jpg

3-1_zpsbe447bd8.jpg

Inside of the drawer. I used 4 layers of flightcase foam to fill it. Then I cut out pieces to fit some accessories, most importantly my wireless transmitter and cable. I also incorporated some space to transport my earplugs, Ebow, Bottleneck and Capo. Fun fact: I also modded my wireless transmitter and now I can play like 8 three-hour rehearsals with it! If there's some interest in how I did this simple mod, I can post some pictures of it aswel.

9_zps9ca5c3a2.jpg

7_zps6eba63d6.jpg

Hope you like it! :D

BTW: Check my signature for a link to my awesome custom pedalboard!

Last edited:
Thats an easy one...extension cord. Sorry couldn't resist.
I'd like to know what you did with wireless also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the replies people!

The Wireless modification was actually quite simple. The transmitter used 9V batteries and I really wasn't getting enough life out of them. Since it's a hassle to change the batteries every rehearsal, it rendered the wireless useless for me. So I decided to do something about it! I came up with a way to connect the transmitter to 8 rechargeable AA batteries. I chose Eneloop batteries since they can contain their charge for very long periods of time. If you would use alkaline batteries, you could only use 6 of them in series as they provide 1,5v (rechargeables give 1,2v).

It makes the transmitter bigger and a heavier, but it never bothered me. So now I have a cheap and very reliable wireless!

IMGP1710.jpg

IMGP1705.jpg

IMGP1702.jpg

IMGP1698.jpg

IMGP1712.jpg

What is that device you're using to go from the two IEC's/one spot to a powercon? Is powercon superior to IEC? This is actually the first time I've noticed it being used in an Axe-Fx rig.

By the way, everything is so perfect, I am speechless... (but you already knew that)

Well, upon selling time of my Ultra, I found the display had been ever so slightly scratched. Only visible when looking at the reflection of a light. Don't want that with the II.
But also I didn't want that protection film on it.

My wife has a Galaxy Note smartphone. It has a really big display. We have a couple of those display protection foils. I cut one to size and it now protects my display in a cool way.

I have been looking at changing up my rig and going the way of a minimal approach I like what you have done here, very well thought out 8). Can you list all the parts you used?

Thanks for all the replies! I have bad news... The drawer is almost useless. The SKB case is too narrow in the middle which puches the rails of the drawer in a slight curve. This makes the drawer VERY uneasy to open and close. I really had to use force to close it and it slightly scratched my axe.

I really don't know what to do now. I'm pretty pissed of since I put that much thought and work into creating the 'perfect' case for me :( Since I always have to carry this unexpectedly heavy case to and from rehearsal every week, our other guitarist suggested splitting things up. A case for my poweramp and wireless that stays in our rehearsal room and maybe something like a rack-bag to carry the axe with me. This seems like a very workable idea, but this renders my patchbay totally useless as I'll have to wire everything up every rehearsal.

I hate it when I put so much time, effort and money towards something and it's not like I hoped. Certainly when it's not my fault. Who'd expect that a 19" drawer, which is a standard measure, doesn't fit properly in a standard 19" skb case? :(

Bummer about the case... It still sounds like a good idea I would look at a different case and check the Dims to make sure it will fit. Have you tried switching the locations of the equipment?

Back
Top Bottom