my questions about the axe 3

1. Is the Axe 3 any easier to dial in good amp tones than the Axe 2 XL was? If so, how so?

2. I listened to the video ML made doing the side by side with the Axe 2 and the Axe 3, In most cases that sounded about the same, in a few cases the Axe 2 actually sounded better. ML did say in the video that may be due to not enough FW being released on the 3 yet....

But, really.... If most Fractalites were in agreement that the Axe 2 both sounded and felt like the real amps they were emulating, then why are so many people suggesting that amps are going to sound even better with the Axe 3? How can it sound and feel better, if it already sounds and feels like the real thing?

Just seems like before Axe 3 was announced Fractalites were like Axe 2 is the real deal, but now ML said in the video that Axe 2 sounds plastic and solid state in comparison. Very ,very odd.

3. Which amps does the 3 have that the 2 didn't have?

4. Is there any plans to put a Victoria RK50 in it?

5. Now that it has all this horsepower, how about convolution Reverb?

6. I read Cliff say that it's going to tone match actual tone? How is this possible? I thought all it could do was match the EQ?

7. Do we have to use the screen or is there still a Axe Edit we can use on the computer?

8. Is there any improvements in pitch shifting/harmonizing/tracking?

9. I did not like a lot of the presets in the 2XL, are the presets in the 3 more usable?

10. How good are the IRs that come with the 3, is there any need to go out and buy other cab packs, is what it comes with good enough to avoid that rabbit hole?

11. Has there been any improvements to the Wahs and the Drives?

1. Is the Axe 3 any easier to dial in good amp tones than the Axe 2 XL was? If so, how so?
I would say the II and III are on equal footing here.

2. I listened to the video ML made doing the side by side with the Axe 2 and the Axe 3, In most cases that sounded about the same, in a few cases the Axe 2 actually sounded better. ML did say in the video that may be due to not enough FW being released on the 3 yet....

But, really.... If most Fractalites were in agreement that the Axe 2 both sounded and felt like the real amps they were emulating, then why are so many people suggesting that amps are going to sound even better with the Axe 3? How can it sound and feel better, if it already sounds and feels like the real thing?
You don't know something is better until you hear it. You can't know how future changes will sound, now. So now is always the best it has been and the best it will be. Until something new comes along.

That is just how the world works, I'm afraid.

Very ,very odd.
Not at all. See: https://academic.oup.com/jxb/article/60/3/712/453685

3. Which amps does the 3 have that the 2 didn't have?
There's a new Plexi model. I can't recall anything else.

See also: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Comparing_the_Axe-Fx_III_to_the_Axe-Fx_II

4. Is there any plans to put a Victoria RK50 in it?
No one here knows. Cliff doesn't usually make this stuff known.

5. Now that it has all this horsepower, how about convolution Reverb?
Unnecessary. Has come up before. Convolving reverbs aren't superior to what the Axe-Fx does now. See: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...d-as-a-convolution-reverb.92501/#post-1111995

6. I read Cliff say that it's going to tone match actual tone? How is this possible? I thought all it could do was match the EQ?
Are you referring to the tone match block in the unit? If so, that's a matched EQ, yes. I don't know how to answer anything else you've put a question mark after in the quoted text above, sorry. Maybe try asking a different way? Or pointing to what you read?

7. Do we have to use the screen or is there still a Axe Edit we can use on the computer?
There's a PC editor in the works. Not yet released.

8. Is there any improvements in pitch shifting/harmonizing/tracking?
See: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Comparing_the_Axe-Fx_III_to_the_Axe-Fx_II -- it answers all the "has X changed in the III?" type questions in once place. But the short answer: yes.

9. I did not like a lot of the presets in the 2XL, are the presets in the 3 more usable?
Impossible to answer this as it's completely subjective.

10. How good are the IRs that come with the 3, is there any need to go out and buy other cab packs, is what it comes with good enough to avoid that rabbit hole?
IRs are like wine, there's an IR for everyone's tastes out there. There are a large number of IRs from the cab packs included in the III. And all the factory IRs from the XL+ are in there too in a "Legacy" bank. Whether the included IRs include IRs that you specifically love is impossible for anyone to tell you.

11. Has there been any improvements to the Wahs and the Drives?
Again, see: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Comparing_the_Axe-Fx_III_to_the_Axe-Fx_II

1. The Axe FXIII is easier to dial in from the front panel. The screen is larger and easier to see. Axe Edit for the Axe FXIII will be out soon and it will be even easier, probably very similar to using Axe Edit with the Axe FXII.
  2. I own both the Axe FXII and Axe FXIII and have compared them side by side. They sound very close at present. The Axe FXII started out great and just kept getting better with every firmware release. There same thing will likely happen with the Axe FXIII.
  3. http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list Here’s a list of the amps in the Axe FXIII.
  4. Not sure.
  5. Not sure what kind of reverb it has but it sounds good.
  6. I believe they improved the tone match block, but I am not sure how. I haven’t tried it yet.
  7. Right now you have to use the front screen, but they said Axe Edit will be out soon.
  8. Yes. Impressive.
  9. Everyone seems to like them, but I'll be making my own.
  10. I tried out all of the 4x12 cabs in the Axe FXIII. I found 25 that I really liked. More than I’ll ever need. To me personally there is no need to buy any more cab packs. I already own most of them, but even if I didn’t there are more than enough cabs in the Axe FXIII to keep you busy forever, and likely something there for everyone’s taste.
  11. I haven’t noticed any. I have to say that the quality of most of the effects in general sound better. Maybe it’s having the extra CPU available. The number one reason that I bought an Axe FXIII was the huge increase in CPU. Having used it for a little over a week now I really like channels.

On factory presets, most of them are carryovers from the Axe II, with some improvements and tweaks made along the way. I like them and use them. But if you don't like them, just tweak them until you do or start from scratch. It should have zero impact on a decision whether or not to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom