My Quest for the Perfect Strat + Fender Tone...

iaresee

Administrator
...has possibly ended. And ended in the most unlikely pairing of amp and cab blocks: the band commander (a Fender Bandmaster model) paired with a custom Marshall 4x12 TV Mix from @Gamedojo! Who would have thought?!?!

The Marshall removes a touch of the scooped-ness from the sound that ice picks things a bit too much for my tastes and just...mellows it all out in a really perfect way.

The mix uses 2 IRs from @ML SOUND LAB's Cab Pack 8 - CK's Brit TV 4x12 pack. This pack has some really stellar captures of my favorite Marshall 4x12 cabinet. And Tyler's mix is just...mmm...spot on. We'll have to ask him really nicely to share the mix formula. I'm not going to give away any secret sauce without permission here. :)

You can get a similar sound by using the factory 4x12 TV Mix C1 (ML) that comes with your Axe-Fx II's firmware.

This clip runs through positions 1, 2, 4 and 5 on my Strat and then I proceed to slaughter some beautiful Frank Zappa in 9/8 time. Everything you're hearing is Axe-Fx II -- no post processing. Guitar is a Schecter custom Stratocaster with MonsterTone pickups. It's a touch dark for a Strat so if you're using a Fender-brand Strat with this patch beware the extra high end!

You can download the patch here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=3760 -- sorry, XL/XL+ users only.

Centerfield! :) It definitely sounds stellar. Actually it sounds a lot like the original even.

People would never guess it but for the first 5 years of playing guitar I was all about 60s-70s music including CCR/Fogerty. I even went to see Fogerty live a few years back. He's still rocking!

Thank you for this great sounding clip!

Centerfield! :) It definitely sounds stellar. Actually it sounds a lot like the original even.
I wasn't trying to get that Fogerty sound, but when I paired these two blocks up it just kind fell out. I'd never played the song before this patch was created!

People would never guess it but for the first 5 years of playing guitar I was all about 60s-70s music including CCR/Fogerty. I even went to see Fogerty live a few years back. He's still rocking!
I wouldn't have guessed that at all! It's good to listen to a lot of things. There's so much music out there that's great.

Thanks!

I stumbled upon the Band Commander / 4x12 TV Mix combo a while back and it's now one of my staple clean presets. Sounds good with my Strats as well as my humbucker-equipped guitars.

Wow----never would have even thought that......I remember those days, but it was not my first 5 years :)

It makes me really happy that it has soon been almost a year since we released Cab Pack 8 and it's still being discussed on this forum. Thank you guys for the support. :)

Last edited:
Ian can you share the preset and allow owners of this awesome cab pack to try it out? I can figure out my own IR mix. Just knowing which cab pack gets me in the ball park. Graci

I just spent the last hour finding the guitar pro file for centerfield and spending all that time with Ian's preset and having a ball. I'm adding that to our set, the band just doesn't know it yet.

I would love to put Kinmans in this Strat. It has MonsterTones in it now which are noisy as !@#$. BUT they do this really cool coil-tap thing where pulling up on the tone knob cuts the number of active windings in the pickups. Takes them from hot-wound to more vintage-wound output and it's awesome.

I've got Kinman's in my 70's blonde Strat. Love them. Mine are the Woodstocks? IIRC. They have very low output, which I wanted, but are noise free. It's really the best of all worlds for me. The lower the output the pickup the more articulation and nuance I can get.

Back
Top Bottom