My quest for the Bonamassa Live Tone...

CyberFerret

Power User
Calling all Axe-FX tone masters out there - I am working on trying to nail Joe's guitar that he had on 'So Many Roads' on his 'Live From Nowhere In Particular' album.

I recorded a short snippet where I was playing his signature Custom Shop Les Paul (bridge pickup) via an Axe-FX Ultra using the Carol Ann OD2r amp emulation. Also had a Tube Screamer emulation in front of the amp, and played through a 4x12 cabinet emulation with Ownhammer EV12L impulses.

I would appreciate some feedback on how to tweak this tone to get a bit closer to his live tone. Also, I am not sure if this setting will cut through the mix in a 'real' live situation. Hoping that some more experienced tone hounds can pass on their knowledge.

Thanks!

EDIT: Take #2 - I've changed the PEQ post amp to try and reduce some of the treble, but I think it killed some of the 'growl'. I also added Reverb post amp, and made changes to the delay settings and added Tremolo early in the signal chain. These were recommendations from Alan at Carol Ann Amplifiers itself! He also explained a bit to me about Joe's tremolo style, and I have tried to incorporate that (poorly) in this take...

Last edited:
Sounds good to me! I didn't A/B it but it definitely reminds me of his sound. Yours might be just a tad too bright. Maybe try an IR where the mic is off-axis or further away from the center of the cone? Some para-EQ backing off the highs would also work.

That sound will definitely cut through a mix.

Not bad! Can you post a patch?
Joe B is a favorite of mine, both playing and tone, plus he's one of the nicest, most down to earth guys you ever want to meet. I'm just glad I don't have to bring 4 amps when I play :eek: He'd be a great candidate for the Axe.

I built a few patches based on all those YouTube videos that Joe demos of his rig and some research on Joe's forum. Which he graciously provides.

In the patches in the cab block, user slot 4 I used Ownhammers EV12L Mix'n'Match 8. I've also used a Redwire mix of the new EV12L Mesa 2x12 cabs that used a TC30 capedge 0" and a 421 capedge @ 0"-2" I think. ;-)

Attachments

• Bonamassa Rig1(CA-SHiva).syx
    2 KB · Views: 53
  • Joe Bonamassa Rig 1.syx
    2 KB · Views: 74
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I have uploaded the preset I used on this post. It is really basically the same as Yek's preset for the Dumble ODS that I swapped out the amp on, changed the IRs and did some other minor tweaking to.

@AdamCook - Thanks, I will try playing with the mic and cab settings to try and reduce the brightness.

@wknight2 - Patch posted on there. Yes, I think that Joe would benefit from an Axe-FX unit - saves the freight on 4 amp heads all over the world, and he wouldnt have to worry about power transformers when he plays in places like Oz - just but a $5 power lead that fits the local powepoints, plug the Axe-FX into FOH and ROCK! :)

@stevejon38 - Thanks for that link. He definitely has a great vibrato going, which I find hard to emulate. I love that his tone is gritty, yet sweet at the same time. That is in essence what I am trying to capture with my project.

@Axisman5150 - Fantastic! Thanks for posting your patches - I will try them out over the weekend and report back...

Attachments

• ! Carol-Ann OD2.syx
    2 KB · Views: 48
Take #2 - I've changed the PEQ post amp to try and reduce some of the treble, but I think it killed some of the 'growl'. I also added Reverb post amp, and made changes to the delay settings and added Tremolo early in the signal chain. These were recommendations from Alan at Carol Ann Amplifiers itself! He also explained a bit to me about Joe's tremolo style, and I have tried to incorporate that (poorly) in this take...

Take #2 - I've changed the PEQ post amp to try and reduce some of the treble, but I think it killed some of the 'growl'. I also added Reverb post amp, and made changes to the delay settings and added Tremolo early in the signal chain. These were recommendations from Alan at Carol Ann Amplifiers itself! He also explained a bit to me about Joe's tremolo style, and I have tried to incorporate that (poorly) in this take...

Yeah the 1st post seemed to be more dynamic and have more growl. Like you put a blanket over it. You are getting there. Keep tweaking away, I think I speak for everyone here that we would LOVE to have his live tone.

Back
Top Bottom