My Pros & Cons After 1 Year

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
Ultra AxeFX - all opinions at the time of writing - Sept 09
(edited to include v8.08 changes)

This is undoubtedly the best hardware modeller available for realism, effects quality, realtime control and general functionality. It's remarkable that it has been produced by the creative genius of one individual, Cliff Chase, with a small team. I wish him every success.

TUBE AMP REALISM

Pros: For realism, the amp models deliver fantastic tones that have the feel, dynamics and note clarity of their real world counterparts. Yes, I've played a few tube amps that have some better tones (at certain fixed volume levels), but I've also played through many tube amps that don't produce any sounds as good as the AxeFX. Even better, amps can be fine-tuned in detail to taste with real-world circuit change parameters. This means that some of my favourite amps can sound even better for my playing style & preferences than the real thing! For amplification, I use an RCF-322A powered monitor which is roughly the same volume as a typical 50W tube amp. By tweaking my patches for a good tone balance through the RCF, I can confidently give FOH something they won't need to modify too much. The AxeFX allows up to 10 third party speaker cab IRs to be used, so if you prefer something else (I like the IRs from Red Wire) you're not restricted to the factory cabs. Cliff delivers regular updates, usually in bursts of activity, with real sonic improvements. It's also very evident that he listens and responds to his user community, something quite rare in current times!

Cons: Atomic amps are about to release an amplification system tailored to the AxeFX. It's been slow to market and being a tube solution will not find favour with users who moved to the AxeFX in part to get away from tube maintenance and unreliability. I'm a little curious that the ideal amplification is deemed to be a tube power amp, for the selfish reason that I hope this does not discourage efforts for even better modelled tube realism.

EFFECTS

Pros: The overall effect quality and quantity is stellar. Even the pitch effects, which are the Achilles heel of most effect processors are quite useable in the AxeFX. I'm delighted Cliff has chosen to deliver idealised effects because it allows effects dialled in as we want, without the limitations of their real-world analog equivalents. We have magnificent chorus and other time-delay effects and fantastic compressors as well as the recently improved overdrive stomps. Routing is really flexible: any effect anywhere with up to 4 parallel paths!

Cons: The only one I can think relates to the technically-correct wet/dry mix controls which maintain overall volume level. This makes good sense with effects that have no or short time delays such as overdrive, compression, phasers, flanging and chorus. However, it's disconcerting with long delay effects (such as delay and reverb) to have your dry volume reduce as you increase the effect mix. Many users overcome this problem by mixing a full wet effect in parallel with a dry signal (shunt), although this makes the global level useless.

REALTIME CONTROL

Pros: Awesome control with volume envelope, ADSRs, LFOs as well as 8 external controllers, any of which can be used in 16 modifiers per patch. I really like that the same controllers can have different modifier settings, such as start and end points and response curves within the same patch. Fractal are yet to release their own foot controller, however, many available foot controllers can be used for basic patch changes, effect bypasses and pedal control. I built my own. more >>>

Cons: None! (many thanks, Cliff for the additional flexibility to set power-up values for external controllers in v8.08) :D

FUNCTIONALITY

Pros: The interface is very intuitive and easy to use, whether you want to modify basic parameters or delve deeper. Like any modeller, it's not for players looking for instant plug 'n' play gratification. It helps immensely if you have experience with the real world amps and effects.

Cons: The AxeFX editor is still in beta and to date has generally lagged firmware changes. So it shows great potential but is yet to deliver.

CONNECTIVITY

Pros: Flexibile signal I/O with 2 stereo ins and outs that can be used for send/return or separate outs with different FX, etc. Also digital and MIDI I/O.

Cons: No headphone or USB. Fan is a bit noisy. Not a big deal.

OVERALL

The pros easily outweigh the cons - if you enjoy tweaking your guitar tones and want the best - get one!

GM Arts said:
Cons: The 8 external controllers cannot be set to have power-up initial values - they all start "off". I use a volume pedal block in every one of my patches for live use, however, when using the AxeFX at home with no foot-controller, all these patches are dead because the volume is off with no simple way to turn it on! The realistic options are:

man 100% on that one.. i did the same thing, till it got to the point where i left the axe rig at home, and took a spider combo to practice, to avoid this.

dpeterson said:
GM Arts said:
Cons: The 8 external controllers cannot be set to have power-up initial values - they all start "off". I use a volume pedal block in every one of my patches for live use, however, when using the AxeFX at home with no foot-controller, all these patches are dead because the volume is off with no simple way to turn it on! The realistic options are:

man 100% on that one.. i did the same thing, till it got to the point where i left the axe rig at home, and took a spider combo to practice, to avoid this.

Uhh... Cliff introduced a fix, didn't he?
Code:

Added “Reset on Program Change” to Modifier parameters. When set to ON the controlled parameter will be reset to the stored value upon loading the preset.  The modifier will not control the parameter until the controller has changed from its previous value.  Once the controller has been changed, i.e. pedal moved, the modifier then has control of the parameter.

I thought I remembered Cliff providing the option to fix the CC/volume block issue in a recent FW update, so I set up a preset to test this. I placed a volume block in the signal chain, assigned the "Vol" parameter to the appropriate external controller, set "PC RST" to "On," then saved the preset with Vol set to maximum.

When I recall the preset with no MIDI controller connected, the volume block is set to 100%, and the Axe-Fx passes signal, just like you'd expect.

So what am I missing here? Looks to me like the problem has been solved.

Sebastian & Jay,

No, what you're referring to is a different problem (really more a feature IMHO) that Cliff fixed: the ability for a patch to recall a preset setting instead of the last controller value. It works well, although changing the preset value is a little tedious once a modifier is attached. It allows patches to be recalled partially or fully "as saved".

This is exactly what you don't want for a volume pedal - you want your volume pedal setting to persist through patch changes, so the PC RESET setting must be OFF for the volume modifier. If it were on, then your volume would jump to max (or some other arbitrary value) whenever you change patches - not cool in a live performance :lol:

The problem I've described relates to the 8 external controllers powering up with a zero value which is then applied to whatever they control. Consequently volume blocks are off, panning is full left, etc. I think the best solution would be to offer a startup value for the 8 external controllers.

I know I've said it before, but I fully appreciate that this is not an issue for players who don't use volume pedals, but it remains a significant PITA for those of us who do.

Hope that clarifies things :)

GM Arts said:
No, what you're referring to is a different problem (really more a feature IMHO) that Cliff fixed: the ability for a patch to recall a preset setting instead of the last controller value.
Now that you mention it, I can see the operational issues with preset changes taking volume to 100%.

I know I've said it before, but I fully appreciate that this is not an issue for players who don't use volume pedals, but it remains a significant PITA for those of us who do.
I do use a volume pedal, and, if I wanted, I could implement that via volume blocks (I control output volume with my setup), since my Exe-Fx always has a controller connected. The problem appears when you use the Axe-Fx in two different ways: with and without an external MIDI controller connected.

It may be that initializing controllers to a fixed value (zero) doesn't require memory locations. If that is the case, that may be why it hasn't been fixed so far.

Jay Mitchell said:
The problem appears when you use the Axe-Fx in two different ways: with and without an external MIDI controller connected.
Spot on!

Jay Mitchell said:
It may be that initializing controllers to a fixed value (zero) doesn't require memory locations. If that is the case, that may be why it hasn't been fixed so far.
That's possible, Jay - RAM may be zeroed at power-up by default or it may be coded to initialise to zero. Either way, we're only talking about 8 bytes. I suspect there's a bigger codespace impact to allow the UI to make this setting.

The best solution IMHO is (d) in my review (about 26 button clicks including value dial "clicks"). Imagine your TV starts up with no picture until you use the remote with 26 button presses to change system settings ... well, you get the picture. :D

Anyway, I don't want to bias the review too much with this negative. All of us current users know how awesome the box is.

> Many users overcome this problem by mixing a full wet effect in parallel
> with a dry signal (shunt), although this makes the global level useless.

How so?

Matman said:
> Many users overcome this problem by mixing a full wet effect in parallel
> with a dry signal (shunt), although this makes the global level useless.

How so?
Sure - place a reverb block in parallel with a shunt block and set the reverb mix to 100% wet (all reverb). Now you can vary the reverb effect level without killing the dry level which passes through the shunt.

Updated original post to include changes to startup values for the 8 external controllers in v8.04.

Many thanks, Cliff!
:D :D :D

GM Arts said:
Cons: The only one I can think relates to the technically-correct wet/dry mix controls which maintain overall volume level. This makes good sense with effects that have no or short time delays such as overdrive, compression, phasers, flanging and chorus. However, it's disconcerting with long delay effects (such as delay and reverb) to have your dry volume reduce as you increase the effect mix. Many users overcome this problem by mixing a full wet effect in parallel with a dry signal (shunt), although this makes the global level useless.

I'd like to see cc control of reverb level and early reflection level. I've made the decision to purchase
(have to save a bit first). After trying my brother's, I'm blown away. I do wish the spillover was not affected by the 35ms mute. Considering how great it is now, I can't help but imagine how awesome the next generation product will be.

Back
Top Bottom