My Power Amp experiences (SS & Tube)

ocaptainjr2

Experienced
I know there are a ton of posts about the various power amps that people are using with the Axe, but I wanted to share my experience...

I got my ultra about 3 months ago and used my Mesa/Boogie 2:50 (with 6V6's) and was pleased with the results. However, I wanted to try the SS option and take advantage of the Power Amp Sims on the Axe. Also, I don't gig anymore, so the Boogie was way more power than I needed...and I live in an apartment.

Using this forum, I researched a lot of SS options. I finally settled on the QSC GX-3 partly for the 1/4 jacks and partly because I could purchase it locally. I used the power amp for two weeks, but it seemed to be missing something. After the two weeks, I found a good deal on an ART SLA-2 so the QSC went back to Guitar Center.

The SLA-2 arrived a few days ago and immediately I was impressed. I don't know if it is the combonation of the Ultra with SLA-2 that many people here already rave about, but to my ears, it was a major improvement over the GX-3.

ocaptainjr2 said:
I know there are a ton of posts about the various power amps that people are using with the Axe, but I wanted to share my experience...

I got my ultra about 3 months ago and used my Mesa/Boogie 2:50 (with 6V6's) and was pleased with the results. However, I wanted to try the SS option and take advantage of the Power Amp Sims on the Axe. Also, I don't gig anymore, so the Boogie was way more power than I needed...and I live in an apartment.

Using this forum, I researched a lot of SS options. I finally settled on the QSC GX-3 partly for the 1/4 jacks and partly because I could purchase it locally. I used the power amp for two weeks, but it seemed to be missing something. After the two weeks, I found a good deal on an ART SLA-2 so the QSC went back to Guitar Center.

The SLA-2 arrived a few days ago and immediately I was impressed. I don't know if it is the combonation of the Ultra with SLA-2 that many people here already rave about, but to my ears, it was a major improvement over the GX-3.
I have a GX5 and to me it sounds a bit thin in the practice room... mainly because it's concrete floors and thick ass walls are sucking up all the low end... but at a gig on top of a (wooden amplifying) stage it sounds so thick and meaty... What differences can you tell us between the GX3 and the SLA-2? Was it just the power handling?

I'm no audio engineer, but I would say that the power handling probably had a big part of it. I can run the ART harder than the GX3 so maybe that is why there is a percieved difference. Like I said, I'm no engineer, but my preference is definately the ART.

GX3 for 8ohm speakers is 250w-350w GX5 for 8ohm speakers is 400w-600w... how much does the SLA2 push?

Im replacing my Art with a Pro-Audio Amp.

Its 1U, cheaper than the Art (in the UK anyway as its a UK company selling direct). It is higher quality, extremely flat response up to stupid Freq levels, and is available in 5 models from 150W per side into 4 Ohms to 1600W per side into 4 Ohms. It will drive 8 and 16 Ohms loads too with a drop in power (the 1600W model still pushed 600W per side into 16 Ohms - 1000W into 8)

The web site isnt great, with non working links but is being re-done.

If you want any info on specs, Price, quality, shipping to anywhere, contact mike at:

mike@class-d.com

Website here:

http://www.proaudio.ltd.uk/products.html

Back
Top Bottom