My own personal epiphany.

Actually I just tried playing with the Tonestack Type parameter and it gives even more tonal possibilities. OK, time to take the rest of the week off! Excellent find Scorch!

This is probably my favorite "tweak". 5153 Green works well for me in the Tonestack with a variety of the amp presets. Quickest way to great amp tones for me.

Hey there, thanks for sharing that.
Brilliant little tips like yours are great for breaking out of the same old patterns we tend to fall into, and just try something different.
It also highlights again the unlimited possibilities available to us with the AXE that you don't have in using real amps.

We know that plugging the axe into a real amp combo ( as opposed to FRFR) gives a totally different tone as you would expect, but your idea of using the preamp only is really nice.

Thanks again

I have done this as well. In this case it can also useful to change one of the tonestacks (usually in the first amp acting as the drive pedal) to passive.

Yeah, what if you had a custom solid state preamp with a particular tonal signature, then ran it into a bunch of AC-30 amps...

Instant (well, actual) Brian May!

I wonder what amp in the Axe might kind of simulate the Deacy. Something bright like a JTM-45 maybe?

TT

I did the dual plexis' too bac k in the Ultra days, but I did them parallel and full amp.

Alot of the current pedals coming out are emulating certain amps instead of just a 'buzz + frequency' range. The purpose of the thread is that we can emulate that, too. A preamp in series is something I hadn't tried.

I have also found a preamp in parallel with a shunt gives a smoother response - sort of like a Sparkle-Drive. These are just tools. No-one has to use them but I'm getting some unique sounds that I couldn't get from the drive blocks.

I used to do this with certain amp sims on my Axe Standard but completely forgot about since upgrading to the Axe II. Thanks for the reminder!
BTW, I used to get great results blending similar (but different) recto preamp to power amp models together... Time to experiment and have some fun. :)

I used to do similar things with real amps. I'd take the line out (not speaker out of course) and run my Laney 30watt into a Music Man full stack set to clean. Really sounded great as I recall. Gave depth and presence to the tone.

I'd never tried this with the Axe-FX until your post reminded me. I took my Recto patch that I never really liked and tried a bunch of clean amps after it before settling on the Shiver clean. Took a little tweaking but I have something dialed in I really like now. Thanks for the heads up on this!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forum Runner

What are people's favorite combinations? My flavour of the day is 59 bassguy into Badger30.

I've been doing this with my bass patches. One amp block preamp section for grit and gain, the second block's full amp capabilities for clarity and punch.

Sound of the day, the 59 and badger30 as said in previous post. A "spitting" dirty sound, I like it!

Reactions: gpz
Back
Top Bottom