My opinion on FAS Cab Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.
That goes for "trying out" IRs and "forgetting" to delete them from your computer too! :mrgreen

Even though I've got only like 5-6 years of stealing experience I can tell the files are "misplaced" at least according to my school of thought.

I don't know if these are the actual files of the final IRs so please don't crucify me if that is not the case..

I know you may take this the wrong way and thing that I'm simply bashing you. This is not what I'm after but simply give constructive criticism.

;):lol

The clip was made using the TV and AX mixes in all Axe-Fx IIs. :) No harm done. Honest misunderstanding.

i understand your sentiment, but many think where he "crossed the line" is telling how they should have done the IR capture, which implies they didn't know what they were doing, hence the storm. especially since "they" were very knowledgeable professional engineers.

surely that is a bit more than expressing an opinion :)

That's a good point. I can see where that was a misstep. :) It just bugs me when someone expresses an opinion here that is perceived as negative towards FAS and there is always this knee-jerk reaction to pummel them. I can understand on other forums where you have folks trolling, talking sh*t about FAS, then I say blast away! :encouragement: But here, I feel like we're all part of the FAS family, and should be allowed to express our opinions openly, even if they are unpopular without getting sh*t on. Just my opinion. :)

BTW, thanks for sharing your recording Clark. Honestly, I think it sounds amazing...not sure what you're complaining about. :lol

Peace friends! ;)

It just bugs me when someone expresses an opinion here that is perceived as negative towards FAS and there is always this knee-jerk reaction to pummel them. I can understand on other forums where you have folks trolling, talking sh*t about FAS, then I say blast away! :encouragement: But here, I feel like we're all part of the FAS family, and should be allowed to express our opinions openly, even if they are unpopular without getting sh*t on. Just my opinion. :)
Agreed.

Well, I find I like the sound of the Ownhammer Marshall 4x12 better than the Producer Pack equivalents. I also much prefer the speaker choices in the OH Marshall partly because I know what they are I guess, but they have a dimensionality and presence to them. The Packs are "duller" in my opinion but they improve if you go with the SM57 or dial back the R121 some in a custom mix. The Producer Packs are also lacking in the V30 department. That Petrucci cab is DARK! I also think there are way too many mic captures of vintage Fenders and Vox amps for me personally. At present, I'm not using the packs anymore (although I bought them). I might revisit them though and give them a better shake. My fav of the bunch was the BW TV as well. FWIW, I've been using Cab Lab (which I love!) to mix the SM57 of a cab with the R121 -6. That's my go-to formula on the OH mics at least.

Well, I find I like the sound of the Ownhammer Marshall 4x12 better than the Producer Pack equivalents. I also much prefer the speaker choices in the OH Marshall partly because I know what they are I guess, but they have a dimensionality and presence to them. The Packs are "duller" in my opinion but they improve if you go with the SM57 or dial back the R121 some in a custom mix. The Producer Packs are also lacking in the V30 department. That Petrucci cab is DARK! I also think there are way too many mic captures of vintage Fenders and Vox amps for me personally. At present, I'm not using the packs anymore (although I bought them). I might revisit them though and give them a better shake. My fav of the bunch was the BW TV as well. FWIW, I've been using Cab Lab (which I love!) to mix the SM57 of a cab with the R121 -6. That's my go-to formula on the OH mics at least.

The Petrucci cab is not a Producer Pack Cab. It is actually captured from Petrucci's Cab, mic'd the way he mics it.

Real thing is there is no conclusion and this thread has gone to nothing...another matter of taste!
Some random photos, some random opinions... And some jokes to shut down the discusion.
I know many of you are known community people, with expertise and experience.
But please, do not trivialize with sound techcnicals and engineers. Its a profession, like economist, lawyer, etc

I think the latest generation of FAS and OH IRs is great. I prefer to use / mix the individual IRs from the FAS Packs to the stock mixes as well, it's great to have that choice.
In fact the only stock IRs I'm not particularly fond of are the Kalthallens.

For 'live' playing I currently have a new favorite: the stock Santiago EJ250. #96 I think. It really cuts through without being harsh or boomy. Mixing it with the FAS EVM is on my to do list. Haven't tried OH's Live Mix IRs in a while, so I'll do that soon too.

Last edited:
Real thing is there is no conclusion and this thread has gone to nothing...another matter of taste!
Some random photos, some random opinions... And some jokes to shut down the discusion.
I know many of you are known community people, with expertise and experience.
But please, do not trivialize with sound techcnicals and engineers. Its a profession, like economist, lawyer, etc

Hopefully a profession a bit more precise than that of an Economist...:mrgreen

I can only see this thread being very good for sales of the producer packs just to hear what the big fuss is all about. Sure Cliff is having a good chuckle right about now...

Hopefully a profession a bit more precise than that of an Economist...:mrgreen

I can only see this thread being very good for sales of the producer packs just to hear what the big fuss is all about. Sure Cliff is having a good chuckle right about now...

Economist = Astrologer in my experience!

For 'live' playing I currently have a new favorite: the stock Santiago EJ250. #96 I think. It really cuts through without being harsh or boomy. Mixing it with the FAS EVM is on my to do list. And I haven't tried OH's Live Mix IRs in a while, so I'll do that soon too.

Been using the Santiago EJ mixed in the stereo cab block with the 4x12 Cali stock forever.
I like the ownhammers, but nothing beats this mix for me yet.
Would like to cab lab that mix and add a fas or OH or 2.
But alas stock ir's not avail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom