My one issue about the axe ughh

Metal1993

Inspired
Ok here is the problem its such a minor one but yet a huge pain in the ass for me.
I switch all the time between wireless and wired. Wireless for rehearsal, and wired for recording in the studio.
Wireless in the studio as well for the rehearsing as I walk about. My problem is I cant always access my axe do to the placement in the rack to switch back and forth between using the front or rear input. And I have been told there is no way to do this in axe edit. I don't see why this is would not have been thought of.

Has anyone come up with a solution? Or is this a feature that could be added to the software?

Axe Edit was never really intended to be a replacement for the front panel menu. No system settings can be changed directly via Axe Edit. One possible option might be to create two separate backups of just your system settings with Fractal Bot: one with the front panel input selected and one with the rear panel input selected. Name the two .syx files accordingly. You could then restore the particular backup you need to change the input selection.

I set input to SUM L+R. This lets me plug my wireless into the rear right side of Input 1, and my guitar cord into the front jack. No need for switching anything.

This also causes the front input to drop by 6 dB, so I go into the global menu and set Global Amp Gain to +6 dB to compensate.

Plug your wireless into the front input. When your using a cable, plug the cable into the front input. Keep the same routing all the time.

I have made a 1 unit blind rack plate with plugs in it extending the rear plugs from the axe. This way I don't wear and break the axe plugs and I can acces everything from the front.

I could always go from my rme interface to the axe for both wired and wireless but the problem with that is then i loose the secret sauce from the front input. Now i wonder how big of a deal that is.
Or is the secerate sauce of the front input maybe overrated to the point i shoudl nto make it an issue anymore?

or get a foot switch - like a switchblade - keep both plugged in all the time...
This.
I've made a kind of X/Y box, two in, one out.
The guitar lead and Rx go IN, Out goes to Axe front input.
One stomp switch to select between the two inputs.
Worked fine, need to match levels from the Rx and guitar lead somewhat (using the output control on the Rx), but in my experience so long as they're not drastically different there's basically no difference to be heard.
Used it for a few years while playing a show that required the guitar to be Rx, but also always had the lead handy for "just in case" and for general rehearsing/jamming if the sound tech hadn't fired up the radio system yet.
It's a simple DIY project if you have the tools.

Last edited:
Plug your wireless into the front input. When your using a cable, plug the cable into the front input. Keep the same routing all the time.

That's the way I do it. A short cable from the output of the G90 comes around from the back of the rack and into the front AFX input. When I'm using a wired connection, I just unplug the G90 from the AFX input and plug in a cable in its place. It's not like I'm doing it multiple times per day, so I'm not worried about wearing out the input jack.

That's the way I do it. A short cable from the output of the G90 comes around from the back of the rack and into the front AFX input. When I'm using a wired connection, I just unplug the G90 from the AFX input and plug in a cable in its place. It's not like I'm doing it multiple times per day, so I'm not worried about wearing out the input jack.

+1

I have two quarter inch jacks on my panel. One comes from the wireless, one is my input to the rack, goes to the axe. I plug a cable into the input normally, when I have a gig I use a small patch cable and jump the wireless into the input. Have done this for over ten years.

I could always go from my rme interface to the axe for both wired and wireless but the problem with that is then i loose the secret sauce from the front input. Now i wonder how big of a deal that is.
Or is the secerate sauce of the front input maybe overrated to the point i shoudl nto make it an issue anymore?
The "secret sauce" is noise reduction and soft limiting. Compare the results you get from the front and back inputs, then draw your own conclusion about whether it's important in your situation.

Talk about a 1st world problem.

You have some options previously presented here. Or make your setup to be more accessible in your rack.

Is there even a reason we can't adjust this in Axe-Edit?

Other than there being no UI and (presumably) no SysEx message mapping, I don't think so. It's just a decision Fractal has made. Would be a good upgrade to make these editable from the software because the menus for those are pretty packed and can be confusing.

Back
Top Bottom