My "new" volume pedal

jdosher

Inspired
I recently decided to try something with my rig and thought I'd share. I suspect some of you are already doing this, which is why I said my "new" volume pedal. Nothing ground-breaking here ;-)

Some background:
I have one of the green, dual-output, Mission expression pedals from my prior guitar rig. When I was re-purposing it for my Axe rig I noticed that the housing had all the castings to mount a switch and output jack (I'm sure they use the same housing for all the volume/expression pedals). So I drilled some holes in it, mounted a switch and jack, and it currently runs to a switch input on my MFC. I've been using the Mission as your typical expression pedal, and generally use the switch turn the wah on/off. Btw, the toe switch was very easy to do, so if your Mission doesn't have one and you wish it did, there you go.

My big epiphany (LOL) recently was to try also using the Mission as my volume pedal. It was the realization that I could make use of the toe switch to change the pedal's function by turning on one block, and turning off another. So now I have it set up to control volume in most patches but the toe switch is set to bypass the volume block in the event that the pedal needs to control something else, like a wah, vibe, tremolo rate, etc. It been nice to further reduce my pedal count and save some weight.

Anyway, many of you are probably doing something similar, or maybe combing pedals that way wouldn't be useful to you, but I just thought I'd share in the event it sparks an idea.

Yep, exactly.
Though instead of the red pedal with the expression and switch output I have the green dual-output expression pedal that doesn't come with a switch so I had to add one to mine. Now that I look at the photo of the same/similar dual-output Mission pedal (it now comes in black, white or red) I see there's already a hole in the casting for the switch and an output jack on the right side. I can't remember now if I had to drill out the hole for the switch or not. They've made some slight changes to the housing since I got mine a couple years ago.

Anyway, nothing ground-breaking or novel here. I just figured those with switch-less Mission pedals might find it useful to know that it's easy to add a switch to expand the functionality of the pedal. It's certainly a different feel than my old EB vol pedal, given the shorter sweep and different pivot point, but I'm getting used to it and I like having one less thing on my pedal board. And the fact that you can change the taper as well as put the volume block anywhere in the chain is just swell. Pun intended ;-)

Back
Top Bottom