My New Love - A Godin Radiator

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
View attachment 9838

I was in Montreal recently, and went to a music store there to check out all the axes. I liked a quite expensive Godin more than all the fenders, gibsons, prs's, gretch's etc. It was a lovely guitar, about $1700.00. I bid it goodbye reluctantly. I have quite a few guitars, and with the purchase of the Axe-FX II and a new Liquid Foot LF12+ AND a new Matrix Amp AND a new fEARFULL FRFR enclosure from art of noise (still waiting on that one!), there was no way to justify it.

I was on ebay the other day, and saw a Godin Radiator for $269.00 with shipping and the original hardshell case. So I bought it, thinking, if it isn't great, I'll give it to some kid in need (I like to practice random acts of kindness).

It's two single coils (good!), and it's hollowed out, with either a crushed-pearl or mirrored chrome (mine was the chrome - but I couldn't find a picture of it online) 'pickguard' that actually covers the entire top of the guitar and 'radiates' (resonates would be a better word) the sound.

I found much discussion of this guitar and other 'cheap' guitars on line. They're good 'starter guitars' people would say derisively. Too cheap. Not a 'brand name' etc. I find this all amusing. I don't give a rat's ass about brands (or even looks, though I do love the retro tele-paul look to this, almost like a National electric). I care about tone and playability, and that ineffable 'guts' or 'soul'. Period. My main axe is a terrible-looking quite battered 1959 Danelectro U1. It is my main goto axe, not my sexy quilted maple strat, 'cause I love it's 'attitude'. It's got a soul.

So, the box arrives, I take it out, hook it up to my Ultra and OMFG! I love this thing! It's got an almost danny sound on the neck pickup (but waayy quieter), and a quite nice glassy-yet-chunky strat sound with both pickups, and some almost tellyish stuff with the bridge pickup. It came set up with 10 gauge string and it was SOOO easy to play! I will have to do a little G&P on the top frets, there's a little buzz there, but not bad. The rest of the neck is BUTTER (and it's my first 24 fret neck ever!).

Anyone want a good, cheap, individual guitar with sound, attitude, and a lovely neck, check them out.

P.S. I do not work for Godin. I'd never even played one until last weekend in Montreal. But I will be checking out their other models as finances allow!

Great story :)

Yea, cheapo guitars sometimes DO sound as good or even better than some of their counterparts. I had a cheap, modified mexi strat that was my go-to guitar, in front all sorts of PRSs, carvins, godins, parkers. Just goes to show you that sometimes an el-cheapo CAN have soul ;)

Good story Poly
thumbsup.gif

I'm still waiting for the "Erm, yeah, it's a bit naff really" realisation to kick in over the Pacifica 112v I got a couple weeks ago for £100... but every time I grab it, I absolutely love playing it!
guitar.gif

Never mind your Les Musicman Jemocaster, bargain guitars are the future!
yessmiley.gif
laughing.gif

I bought a Peavey Limited EXP with 2 humbuckers to use as a mod platform to try some things. I was so impressed by it, I bought another one that was cheap ($100US) that has some bumps & bruises. Then, I found out that there was an HSS version, so I bought one of those. Then, I found out there was an amber burst HSS, so I bought that, too. I have less than $750 in ALL 4 guitars (including shipping) and am really liking them. I was going to sell of 2 of them, but then I realized that I can't get anything I like nearly as well for less than $200, so I may keep them all. So much for culling the herd....

BTW, my favorite of the bunch is turning out to be the $100 beat up HH one. I had a set of Seymour Duncan P-Rails in another guitar & I didn't love them in that guitar, so I decided to try them in the Peavey before I ebay'd them. They are a great fit for these guitars. With my 5-Way SHOoP wiring setup, it's an amazingly versatile guitar.

Then there are some companies that are known for making good stuff - even the low end stuff it still top notch. FAS would be in that category, except that there's no low end with them :lol

I saw one of these on Craigslist a few years back & was really digging it. I wanted to buy it but was unemployed at the time. I'd love to find one.

A Godin LGX has been my main guitar for seven or eight years now. Love it. It was $700, but the quality is fine for me. Would buy another Godin in a second. Enjoy that Radiator!

Back
Top Bottom