My new JVC SRX 812P Powered Speaker with Axe FX 2

Keith White

Experienced
Last night I used my new JVC 812P Powered Speaker. In one word an AMAZING cabinet. I am fully pleased with it.
It has 1500 watts of Crown amplification built into it so it has ungodly headroom.
In the first set the cabinet didnt sound clear at all while standing in front of it but it got clearer the further I walked away from it on stage. So between sets I went into the onboard DSP and noticed the speaker was set on mains mode. I switched it to monitor mode which turns it into a short throw cabinet and from there on just WOW. It especially shines on the synth and special effects patches.
The speaker does have a slight bass and high end boost but I set one of the 20 user eqs to flatten it out.
The $1299 price tag didnt bother me at all due to the quality and onboard dsp.
The speaker weighs 63 pounds which I am fine with. It makes it feel like its worth 1299. Besides it is built like a tank and made of 18mm plywood. This cabinet does have depth and monitor feet so you can use it either behind you or as a monitor.
I 100% recommend this cabinet.

Didn't realize JVC was in the pro audio game now. JBL probably won't take kindly to them using the same model number.

Seriously though the passive predecessor was our demo speaker for a long time.

Yeah, I ran a JBL SRX712m as my monitor for the first year and a half. Really great speaker. Got a CLR and it turned out to work better... but at times, I miss the singing upper midrange the JBL gave.

Didn't realize JVC was in the pro audio game now. JBL probably won't take kindly to them using the same model number.

Seriously though the passive predecessor was our demo speaker for a long time.

One of my first video recorders was a JVC VHS, which replaced my Sony Betamax. Thing was damn near as big as the Edge's new Fractal rack.

Sad to see JBL has joined the bogus 'peak power' game now...

KeithGuitarFan -- Have you tried any of the app options for the speaker yet?

TT

I saw these at NAMM and really loved the look of the box and was thinking about getting some for small FOH PA duty (to be paired with a JBL SRX728 sub).
My only apprehension was that I am positive that I would damage the DSP controls on the back. (well, maybe not me)...but my drummer will absolutely kick/trip/slam/fall onto the speaker at least once a month. I though the control knobs and LCD screen were too fragile looking and would not survive the rath of clumsy in my band.

I would love to hear these though.

Because I have Crown iTech amps that I really like, I decided to stay with Passive boxes and bought a used pair of EAW LA212's (still waiting for them to arrive).

Actually haven't had time to work with the apps yet but the speaker must be ran in mains mode. The monitor mode puts a smiley face on the eq curve. The more I play through this speaker the more I love it.

Back
Top Bottom