My New Guitar, Warmoth build.

Pwrmac7600

Power User
Well, ordered custom body and picked up a showcase neck back in mid July. Everything finally arrived yesterday, and spent last night and this morning putting it together. I was going for a Friedman Vintage T vibe minus the steep price tag. It I spec'ed most of it based on the Vintage T specs.
It came out really nice.
Ended up with a Mahogany body, Maple neck, rosewood board, 550K pots and orange drops caps, Friedman Classic+ and Classic pickups, Schaller locking tuners. Only issued I had is that one of the tuners is faulty, feels bound up. So I emailed Schaller to see if they can send me a replacement. I ended up with staggered tuners, but the b and e still seem like they may need a tree.
Any how, here it is. Pictures came out a touch blurry, but you get the point.

20200905_131214.jpg
20200905_131257.jpg

Looks nice! I have upgrade parts coming for my red Fender Tele. New pickguard for neck 'bucker and middle Tele-neck-style pickup, and a Fralin Split Rail bridge pickup. Going to do a super 4P5T switch with a special custom wiring....

Last edited:
Doing a custom job with the Friedman's a great move. It looks good - I can hear it in my head. I'd pick up some waterslide decals and put something classy on the headstock as the finishing touch. HH on a Tele with an LP switch, can't go wrong. Belly cut on the body?

I've bought some nice guitars in recent years, but my favorite player is a cheap old Epiphone LP Special. Only thing still original is the body wood. With the Duncan Jazz in the neck, best electronics and wire I could fine, it's just outstanding.

Cool guitar! It is some of the best fun you can have. Some of my best memories are the parts guitars I put together. I'm pretty sure that in the 80s and 90s I kept Warmoth in the black by putting together so many mongrels. I get a lot of joy seeing other players playing them now so many years later. I think anyone on the forum should "share" new gear this way. It will help alleviate all the GAS anxiety some of us (me) are struggling with. I have several guitars in the works now with not much else to do. I can't wait to share them.

Last edited:
Cool guitar! It is some of the best fun you can have. Some of my best memories are the parts guitars I put together. I'm pretty sure that in the 80s and 90s I kept Warmoth in the black by putting together so many mongrels. I get a lot of joy seeing other players playing them now so many years later. I think anyone on the forum should "share" new gear this way. It will help alleviate all the GAS anxiety some of us (me) are struggling with. I have several guitars in the works now with not much else to do. I can't wait to share them.
Yeah back in the early 90's I had two Warmoth builds. Difference being I had a local tech do everything for me on those. Everything from recommend me what parts to get to how to have Warmoth build it based on what I was looking for. They were great guitars. But In the world of GAS ended up getting sold off years later to fund something else. So when I started jonesing for the Friedman Vintage T that I kept seeing Michael Nielsen playing in some of his video's on youtube my first instinct was why not build one, and I went directly to Warmoth.

Last edited:
Yeah back in the early 90's I had two Warmoth builds. Difference being I had a local tech do everything for me on those. Everything from recommend me what parts to get to how to have Warmoth build it based on what I was looking for. They were great guitars. But In the world of GAS ended up getting sold off years later to fund something else. So when I started jonesing for the Friedman Vintage T that I kept seeing Michael Nielsen playing in some of his video's on youtube my first instinct was why not build one, and I went directly to Warmoth.

Warmoth is a solid company. I have couple of necks to experiment with. I'm really liking Musikraft and Allparts (I typically custom radius and refret Allparts necks, they are my favorite if I want to invest the time).

It kinda looks like Micke Nords old Gustavsson guitar. My friend has the prototype for this guitar.

kmzdemhhnhbairo6dhbx.jpg

20161024_21.jpg

it was actually modeled after this guitar. I was trying to get as close as I could. I even tried out the fender style witch hat knobs, but they weren't for me so i opted for metal dome knobs instead.
FRIEDMAN-VINTAGE-T--ARTBH_-1600-x-1200-Front-min.jpg

They are only installed and the edges cut to an angle of 60 degrees no fret dress. It is a testament to how well built they are that you can use one straight out of the box. If you want it perfect though it will need to be finished off. In the one in the picture I took only a fraction off the top to ensure level and rounded the ends then the fingerboard edge.

Back
Top Bottom