My new 'guilty pleasure' - That Pedal Show on YouTube

OddManOut

Inspired
I don't recall how I first found out about this YouTube show but I've found myself watching more than I ever thought I would. Each episode of That Pedal Show is basically these two tasty guitarists - Dan and Mick - discussing a topic of interest to all guitarists - pedals, amps, and guitar sounds in general. Here's a link to a recent episode entitled "How to Use More Than One Amp":

In this particular episode they also get into a discussion of the mechanics of connecting three amps such as isolation and phase which, fortunately, are not a concern for us - but also provide some nice discussion and demonstrations of wet-dry-wet setups. There are many episodes to choose from and they cover a wide variety of related topics, all of which are or should be of immediate interest to those of us using the Axe FX II, AX8 or FX8.

Now, of course, these guys are using physical tube amps and physical pedals plus a fairly sophisticated loop switcher but most of their observations and conclusions apply directly to what we in the Axe Fx modeling community are seeking to achieve with our most excellent modellers. What I particularly appreciate is that the discussion about a specific sound is complemented by demonstrations of that sound. Also their musings about various sounds and ways to achieve them stimulate ideas for doing similar things with the Axe Fx. I find myself running to my guitar and Axe-FX right after viewing an episode. Check it out - you may discover a new 'guilty pleasure' too!

[Edit] Here's a link to their new location on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUXq8mGmoHt0e6ItuTs10w

Last edited:
I like this show, too. They seem to know what they're talking about. They make some good points and tend to be fairly objective and are total gear hounds.

I like this show, too. They seem to know what they're talking about. They make some good points and tend to be fairly objective and are total gear hounds.
Gear hounds definitely and with good taste! And so much so that I found myself lusting after Micks American Vintage Sonic Blue Strat. So I had to go out and buy one. I love it!

I've been working my way through these recently. Lots to learn that is directly applicable to the Axe FX (or really any modelling system).
-
Austin

Great show, I almost bought their looper system, then I found the Axe thank god, otherwise I would still be buying pedals and amps. Everything they do and say on that channel is applicable to the Axe and I love it, very informative very knowledgeable people, and there are some star names using the GigRig gear

I thought the echoplex vid was really cool.

With the EP boost model in the Fractal, was fun to use their technique to front a delay with the EP boost, all in the Fractal.

Mick is (was?) a columnist for Guitarist magazine. Dan is the inventor/maker of the loop switcher system they use. They certainly do know what they are talking about. And found a fun way of providing information.
Recently they opened a second youtube channel called "That pedal show". The previous video's appeared on "Daniel TheGigRig".

Thanks for this thread. I'll be making my way through most of those I'm sure. After watching the one on amp wattage, I read the notes and saw this little nugget:

"a lone e906 (or SM57) on a belting speaker really doesn’t sound like the amp in the room. It sounds smaller, more contained, with little of the low-end resonance and whatever else the room brings. It can be a great sound for recording in a track because it sits well in a mix. In addition, the louder you push a big amp, the more those reflections and room sounds can become problematic for the mics, which is why you need to limit them, either by acoustic treatment in the room, or by simply using close mics only."

I thought that was particularly interesting in terms of the Axe FX and the ongoing mentions about searching for the "amp in the room" sound. The implication is that if you're using an IR (cab sim with a mic), you're never really going to get that feel...not technically. You'll get a sound that's basically like you turned up a recording really loud. Which could be great on its own merits. But you're basically limited by the mic you're using.

So for that amp in room sound it may be better to use a "real" cab, or at least disable the mic sim in the Axe (though any IR was captured with some mic, right...how does that factor in if you turn mic sims off?).

At least that's one of the things I'm thinking about after watching that particular video. :)

So for that amp in room sound it may be better to use a "real" cab, or at least disable the mic sim in the Axe (though any IR was captured with some mic, right...how does that factor in if you turn mic sims off?).

At least that's one of the things I'm thinking about after watching that particular video. :)

I'd say that's what 99% of people who try an AxeFX and expect it be 'just like an amp' are missing... it needs a different mindset to really 'get it' :)

I thought that was particularly interesting in terms of the Axe FX and the ongoing mentions about searching for the "amp in the room" sound. The implication is that if you're using an IR (cab sim with a mic), you're never really going to get that feel...not technically. You'll get a sound that's basically like you turned up a recording really loud. Which could be great on its own merits. But you're basically limited by the mic you're using.

It will be interesting to hear an IR that is made in a 'room' with some reflections rather than a studio. Maybe the only way to get the amp in a room sound would be if the IR is of the actual room.

At the end of the day, I get so much good feeling when playing guitar with the latest updates that I sometimes catch myself thinking that I'm playing through a real amp in my room! :cool:

Gear hounds definitely and with good taste! And so much so that I found myself lusting after Micks American Vintage Sonic Blue Strat. So I had to go out and buy one. I love it!

I know what you're talking about. I think he said that was a 2000 AV '62 Strat that was a special thin skin run. It sounds great. I love Sonic Blue.

It will be interesting to hear an IR that is made in a 'room' with some reflections rather than a studio. Maybe the only way to get the amp in a room sound would be if the IR is of the actual room.

Doesn't Ownhammer do this with their room mixes in the Studio Mix collection (Cab Pack 3)? I pretty much use the Median IRs, which blend different mics at different positions in the room. Gives a nice, 3-dimensional sound.

Doesn't Ownhammer do this with their room mixes in the Studio Mix collection (Cab Pack 3)? I pretty much use the Median IRs, which blend different mics at different positions in the room. Gives a nice, 3-dimensional sound.

I'd be interested in trying these out, I have only recently started using Ownhammer's IR (the new VX30 212) and am so far very impressed!

But in all honesty, I'd be trying those out more of curiosity than need, because I don't have a problem with the amp in the room limitation that some guys struggle with. My brain is already set to 'pretending I'm sitting in a studio with my collection of amps in the room next door' mode. :D

I'd be interested in trying these out, I have only recently started using Ownhammer's IR (the new VX30 212) and am so far very impressed!

But in all honesty, I'd be trying those out more of curiosity than need, because I don't have a problem with the amp in the room limitation that some guys struggle with. My brain is already set to 'pretending I'm sitting in a studio with my collection of amps in the room next door' mode. :D

The Ownhammer Studio Mix Collection is well worth the $99 purchase price, but you get something like 2600+ IRs! It's a real embarrassment of riches, but I can't imagine needing anything more than these.

I've already got amps to play in the room if I wish. I like having something perfectly mic'd that I know is consistent from what I hear to what goes on the recording. I agree that the "amp in the room" mindset kind of misses the point of playing through a modeler with IRs.

The Ownhammer Studio Mix Collection is well worth the $99 purchase price, but you get something like 2600+ IRs! It's a real embarrassment of riches, but I can't imagine needing anything more than these.

I've already got amps to play in the room if I wish. I like having something perfectly mic'd that I know is consistent from what I hear to what goes on the recording. I agree that the "amp in the room" mindset kind of misses the point of playing through a modeler with IRs.

Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll look into those!

Apologies to the OP, I think we have derailed the thread a little!! :eek:

That Pedal Show looks like a great bunch of videos that I have not seen yet, looking forward to watching them all! :)

Back
Top Bottom