My new challenge - can I take this to an open mic / jam night?

sskkmm

Power User
I have LOVED my AX8 - really a game changer for me...but I have really spent all my time playing it for my current band and with just two guitars and only through the ASM12. As we have a little downtime (couple weeks) until the next gigs, here's what I was hoping to accomplish:

I would love to set up a couple banks of generic / go-to presets for some common scenarios.....

1) jam night with unknown backline amps (effect loop or no effect loop)
2) show-off to people who had never seen/heard the fractal stuff (listen to this! kinda stuff..most factor presets will handle this)
3) direct to PA with good monitors (I am pretty much there with current tribute setup)

Just sharing this as a public declaration so I will stop spending time READING about everyone on this forum and get off my arse and do it...heh. Now I will have to report back at some point.

I would like to know I can grab a guitar and my ax8 and play about anywhere. Not quite there yet (and too reliant on AX8-edit, to be honest).

Making a jam preset collection is good.
I think the key is to RESTRICT yourself.
Think small.

I'd limit myself to 3 presets.
I'd have switches 1-3 select PRESETS 1-3 within my jam bank.
The sounds would be Clean. Rhythm. Lead.
I'd have switch 4 set for SCENE 1/2 TOGGLE.
This leaves footswitches 5-8 for effects so I can freely decorate.
I'd always have DRIVE on 5, Modulation on 6, Delay on 7 and Wildcard on 8.

(My advice is that you disable "press and hold for X/Y" at first.
This ensures that you won't get yourself bogged down with extra programming.
If you really need XY, let scene 1/2 handle it.)

Now... decide what your sounds/scenes will be.
You have ten minutes. GO!
In fact, it will depend. Do you mostly go to blues jams? Classic rock? Space music?
Make up your mind. Pick three, plus a second scene in each.
Now, program. You have 90 minutes. GO!
Start with your favorites from your band bank, or check out factory presets.

(Tip: Invite some musician friends over for a non-jam jam, where they make noise while you program. Buy them beer/whatever.)

Later, for fun, when your core jam set is done, fill up one more bank with EIGHT extra presets, each set up so that footswitches 1-8 select presets 1-8. This is your "ANYTHING GOES X8" bank. No instant access. No scenes. Eight sounds.

Check the presets with single coils and humbuckers, but pick your favorite and really dial that one in.

What else...

I'm all about pedals: VOLUME on XP1 and EXPRESSION on XP2.
I'd have Boss FS-6 dual latching on XP jacks 3 and 4.
I'd set up #3 (Latching) as a boost -- probably a NULL FILTER.
I'd set up #4 (Momentary) as a EXTERNAL 12 -- and use it for things like whammy, rotary speed, delay hold, etc.

M@ - thanks - you just saved me some time for sure. I have had this thing for quite some time and (like many here) have been truly impressed and excited about it...and a bit overwhelmed at times. I will be good to limit myself and think more like my pedalboard.

The fact that this unit has made me consider selling my dream amp (Matchless HC30) says alot ;) (but could you please model the second ef86 channel or jumpered or both!!)

Making a jam preset collection is good.
I think the key is to RESTRICT yourself.
Think small.

I'd limit myself to 3 presets.
I'd have switches 1-3 select PRESETS 1-3 within my jam bank................

M@,
Please... PLEASE share more posts like this one (for Ax8, Axe-FX II, etc). I can't speak for everyone but for me, being able to see how you think situations/setups through is like gaining years of experience in 5 minutes.

I would seriously love ($$) to see your set-up, how you use it for different scenarios, your thought process on how/why you set it up, etc... (I personally use an Axe-FX II)

I totally realize my needs and set-up would be different than yours but understanding the logic behind it is such an incredible aid in learning how to think things through.

It's like seeing a great chef cook, you learn things that you would have NEVER thought of or even thought to consider.

Back
Top Bottom