My new AFX3

trb

Experienced
HI Guys,

that's it ! got my AFX3, after my AFX2 since 2013.

Very impressed, just on the first riffs with the dynamic (FW 7). ANd I just played for 2h with the preset 000. I love too the few drive pedals I quickly tested with the same feeling of dynamic and clarity. Of course huge capabilities over the AFX2 when we are in Axe Edit... don't get me wrong, the AFX2 is still a great machine and I could have spend my life with it, considering my amateur usage in my home studio! But so cool to be able to upgrade to the AFX3. Sold my AFX2 to a previous Dagoba metal band player, and he found my AFX2 just great.

Thanks a lot to all the great guys on the forum and utube that decide me to move to the 3: Leon, Burg, Nicolas, Austin Buddy, Cooper, Marco, and many other great players.
Many years ahead now, to explore, and progressing on the essential weak point: my fingers usage !

Bruno

A question to you guys about audio interface.

My AFX3 is directly plug in my PC WIn10 with USB.
I have an interface XR18 with internal AD/DC CIrrus Logic of 114dB, and D/A dynamic range, converter and output 108dB.
AFX3 and XR18 aggregated with asio4all in Reaper. So just used the XR18 to output to my matrix amps.

Was fine with my old beloved AFX2.but with AFX3 and better converters...

So my question: is the XR18 dynamic (114 or 108 db? dont know in fact..) ok to correctly reproduce the AFX3 dynamic ? or do I need an interface with better AD/DA converters, from your experiences ?

Hearing from my test, there is a difference between :
  • AFX3 -> Matrix
  • AFX USB-> reaper->XR18 out -> MAtrix amps,
but not a huge difference... worth it to change my interface ?...

thanks for your experience feed back.

Hi trb,
Congratulations on your new beast!
If you are ok with the way it’s setup at the moment, you’ll be fine.
In my studio, I just use the axe fix analog outs into the desk and it’s perfect so you’ll be fine.
Thanks
Pauly

Hi trb,
Congratulations on your new beast!
If you are ok with the way it’s setup at the moment, you’ll be fine.
In my studio, I just use the axe fix analog outs into the desk and it’s perfect so you’ll be fine.
Thanks
Pauly
Thanks !
in what "desk" are talking about ?

I have a similar question regarding the use of an FX III as a primary PC Audio Interface.
Question #1 If I ditch my MOTU Ultralite IV, can i use the FX III as a primary interface for all PC audio tasks? I use JRiver Media Player and YouTube extensively.

Question #2 Can you route the XLR Monitor Outputs and another Analog Out (subwoofer in my case) in such a way that the output for both can be controlled simultaneously through a "Master Volume Out" in the FX III?

Question #3 Does the FX III have a PC GUI that is accessible via Windows to control all of the available I/O? Or maybe via Axe Edit? Or is it only available on the FX III screen? Or some other way?

Thanks in advance!

Q1: yes you can choose from WIN10 in a lower righ taskbar between intenal audio or the AFx3. BTW are you pleased with the MOTU Ultralite IV (with Sabre converters?) ? I'm contemplating to the motu 828es.

Q2: exactly my situation with my 2 power amp matrix GM50 and a sub Tbox. I use my XR18 to fire the sub with aux out. Using the AFX3 I may be the sub on OUT2, and in the menu you copy the out1 to out2. but need to use volume2 knob. Or in Axe EDit, route IN1 to OUT2 before all fx effect... to be tested.
Dont know other routing coz it's not exactly as as a regular audio interface... may be other idea from a member...
another routing is to go from the afx3 xlr to the sub and then from the sub to the 2 satellites, but I understood this not what you want (as in my case too: want to have the sub independant)

Q3: i think just with afx3 screen. but to explore what is possible using IN 1, 2, 3, 4 and OUT 1,2,3,4 in Axe Edit

A question about OUT bloc level tweaking best practices:
  • I guess the obvious idea is to maintain the left/right level of the OUt1 for example below 0db (ie: NO RED bars) to avoid digital clipping, ideally be around -6db ?
  • using all the possible combination in a presets with drive bloc for example, always avoid to tick the red

when I DL some presets from members, that's so "rigorous"...
what is the best practices ?
thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom