My name is Burgs. I am a newbie. I need help with PT aggregate setup, please.

Burgs

Power User
Greetings, Brett Kingman at your service. A recent convert to the wonders and world of AxeFXII. I'm looking forward to the journey a lot.

Pro Tools 10 LE, my MBox 3 Pro and me are having issues, though. I'm running OSX 10.8.4, the latest firmware and USB drivers for the AxeFXII and ditto for the MBox 3 Pro. The Audio Midi setup in OSX indicates everything is cool as far as a new aggregate device is concerned, the permissions have all been opened up for the preferences and everything looks right except that PT won't see the AxeFXII's inputs - only the MBox's despite changing the Hardware Setup to my new Audio/Midi setup. Crazy, yes, it's driving me...

Any ideas I could try? I'd like to get the workflow rocking for the YT demo channels.

Many thanks.

B

wow! The Brett Kingman! Welcome and I cannot wait to hear your (and Sophie's!) thoughts and tones from the axe!
I just checked my ProTools setup and verified that the axe2 showed up as an option, set PT Aggregate as the playback engine, and I also went to the I/O section and selected/deleted all inputs then hit the default button.

When I did that an input now appeared that is labeled Mix1/return 1/2. I then had to go to the audio preferences inside my Mac system preference menu and select protools aggregate i/o as my output device. I then set up a stereo track and pointed the input to Mix1/Return1-2 and have audio when the track is armed.

Hope that helps and again, welcome and cannot wait to hear what you get out of the box! I have loved many of the demos you have done over the years. I always listen to yours first when thinking about a new piece of gear!!

Like diggi set, it might be that your output 1 is not set to USB.

I just checked your MBox 3 and it does have SPDIF. I highly recommend using it via SPDIF which runs on 48Khz and saves you one DA - AD conversion and sounds a tad better to my ears.
When using the USB of the Axe you can't use the USB of the MBox 3 to record in PT (at least I can't in Cubase 7 ;) ). So you probably have issues with your talk mic when you want to create a demo with it.

Only bit of advice that I might add is on my system at least, sometimes I need to have everything else up and running before I power up the Axe, and then it detects it. Sometimes for whatever reason, if the rack is already powered up and I then try to acess it via the PC, it doesn't detect it. More an issue with the PC or the drivers than a problem with the Axe I'm sure, but just flipping it on/off (the Axe) usually solves it for me.

That said, always have enjoyed many of your gear demo video's, and I'll be looking forward to lots of great Axe content, so welcome and glad to have you here

Cheers

+1 on SPDIF rather than aggregate device. I wasn't aware of you before seeing this, but it's clear from the little I saw that you are a perfect person for the Axe. You will absolutely love it.

Good luck with the details. I look forward to hearing some of the results.

Like diggi set, it might be that your output 1 is not set to USB.

I just checked your MBox 3 and it does have SPDIF. I highly recommend using it via SPDIF which runs on 48Khz and saves you one DA - AD conversion and sounds a tad better to my ears.
When using the USB of the Axe you can't use the USB of the MBox 3 to record in PT (at least I can't in Cubase 7 ;) ). So you probably have issues with your talk mic when you want to create a demo with it.

You made my day! +10000!!!

@ Burgs: This is far superior than using your AF2 with this ....mmh ***** "called" driver for OSX ;) (which is just a workaround not a driver)

cheers
Paco

Thank you, guys. I'll try all of these suggestions today and let you know how I get on. I really appreciate the warm welcome. Thank you! :) B.

Welcome Brett! Long-time fan and all that. My favorite reviewer, the most credible of all IMO. And a huge fan of the older vids with Sadie. Please make yourself at home!

Greg

For those interested (and thank you again):

I tried the S/PDIF solution. It's worked.
  1. The MBox 3 Pro DB15 breakout to the AXEFXII's S/PDIF in/out.
  2. In Pro Tools the MBox is selected in Hardware Setup giving me access to its ins and outs as well as the AxeFX's S/PDIF out. All good.
However...

If I make the AxeFXII the selected device in Hardware Setup it will see the MBox's S/PDIF but doesn't let me see or select the MBox's analog inputs. It just routes all inputs to the S/PDIF out. This is a shame because I feel that the AxeFXII is a far better sound card and it means that I can't use the MBox's inputs without summing them all to its S/PDIF out. Unless I'm doing something wrong..?

Also, feeding the AXEFXII to the MBox via S/PDIF seems to result in some AXEFXII sound degradation - it's a little listless, not as 'alive' as if I were to use the AXEFXII on its own. Does that make sense or am I imagining things? The monitors are connected to the MBox (could be the issue right there...)

I should point out that I'm using a fairly cheap RCA cable to link the S/PDIF out/ins to both devices, but if it's digital information, does it matter?

Thank you again for your advice. I'll get there... :)

My first reasonable effort, lads. Thanks for your advice, the S/PDIF solution did the trick.

I'm not much of a metal player like many around here. My forte lies in the low to medium gain stuff. So I guess I'll be concentrating on those sorts of tones. Anyway, for better or worse...

Very nice! Great sounding axe, nicely bridges the gap between the Gibson/Fender camps to my ears. Great playing, as usual.

Wow, just had a look through your vids, mate. That Crimson King pedal seems pretty mighty. Great stuff, and welcome to the gang :)

Back
Top Bottom