My music for #drumception contest - ''Sagittarius'' - ML Cab-Packs !!

Hyper Planet

Power User
Hey guys this is my music for Gojira's drummer Mario Duplantier #drumception contest which is called : ''Sagittarius'' and hosted by GEARGODS and TOONTRACK

I used ML Brit Collection 2 for all the guitar lines and my brother Armin who played the bass lines use ML USA Bass cab-pack

The Guitar IRs : ML Brit GB SM57 and ML Brit GB E906 from Ace folder
The Bass IRs : ML USA Bass SM57 A1 and ML USA Bass R121 E1 from Ace folder

How does it sound to your ears ?

Last edited:
Your playing is always incredibly tight and the technique is crazy good. Here, I think the opening clean tone part is noticeably loose compared to the rest. And for the brief solo, while your technique is amazing, I might redo it with a greater focus on phrasing and vibrato. Relax and let the playing breath a bit more. Of course, all this is just my opinion. Glad you shared! :)

Your playing is always incredibly tight and the technique is crazy good. Here, I think the opening clean tone part is noticeably loose compared to the rest. And for the brief solo, while your technique is amazing, I might redo it with a greater focus on phrasing and vibrato. Relax and let the playing breath a bit more. Of course, all this is just my opinion. Glad you shared! :)
Thank you very much for your nice words about my musical journey, I appreciate and respect your opinion :)

I have to assume that this will have vocals at some point otherwise it won't stand up as a purely instrumental piece.
Starts off very Animals as Leaders then Sikth, the riffing is excellent.

I have to assume that this will have vocals at some point otherwise it won't stand up as a purely instrumental piece.
Starts off very Animals as Leaders then Sikth, the riffing is excellent.

Thanks for listening :), well actually I composed the song with vocal but contest rules mentioned ''no vocal'', and also when I listened to Mario drum track I realized that a song w/vocals is pre-eminent.

holy crap .. thats sweet!

I listened a couple times thru some different vantage points ... I liked the introduction tone and will agree with Brock, that it was a little looser than the rest, but when i had my Beyerdynamic cans on, I heard the percussive attack of a compressor a bit better, so, the looseness almost gives a false sense of security for the aural assault you are about to be faced with! Your tones are clear and even still yet so with the complexity of non linear chord voicing. I LOVE that! The solo, totally caught me off guard ... you turned your back on us and took it somewhere totally unexpected! I think if i was to try to change anything, i think i would try to creatively insert a flashback to the main theme, while still maintaining a different perspective (does that make sense?) (Im thinking the way Dream Theater will take the main theme from the guitar part of a song, and do it in a different time signature or key on the keyboards, and bury it a little ... its there, and if you listen you can hear it, but its subtle)

Outside of that, Good luck man! Awesome job!

holy crap .. thats sweet!

I listened a couple times thru some different vantage points ... I liked the introduction tone and will agree with Brock, that it was a little looser than the rest, but when i had my Beyerdynamic cans on, I heard the percussive attack of a compressor a bit better, so, the looseness almost gives a false sense of security for the aural assault you are about to be faced with! Your tones are clear and even still yet so with the complexity of non linear chord voicing. I LOVE that! The solo, totally caught me off guard ... you turned your back on us and took it somewhere totally unexpected! I think if i was to try to change anything, i think i would try to creatively insert a flashback to the main theme, while still maintaining a different perspective (does that make sense?) (Im thinking the way Dream Theater will take the main theme from the guitar part of a song, and do it in a different time signature or key on the keyboards, and bury it a little ... its there, and if you listen you can hear it, but its subtle)

Outside of that, Good luck man! Awesome job!

First of all I'd like to thank you for your comment in details and listening to the song over and over I'm really happy you liked that :).

The intro needs to be listen more than one time in order to be etched upon your mind because of reason: 1- Time Signature, 2- Layering
1- As for the time signature, on the one hand I have to say drums is playing 4/4 and the bass is supporting drums, on the other hand the clean guitar lines are playing 7/4, I did that with the purpose of adding a flavor and make it more interesting which lead the listener to think a little bit more about what's happening there !.

2- There're 4 clean lines with with 3 different melodies and grooves, first melody playing with it's octave and the second melody playing with it's arpeggio movements, the third melody with staccato technique and the cool thing about this is all of them are travelling around a certain chord progression

Due to the restrictions of the drums in terms of creating varied spaces, I tried to have a song which is included of Groove/Time signature, Melody/Bass guitar melody, Feel/Emotion, Technique and Space in less than 4 minutes

Thank you for time and listening :)

First of all I'd like to thank you for your comment in details and listening to the song over and over I'm really happy you liked that :).

The intro needs to be listen more than one time in order to be etched upon your mind because of reason: 1- Time Signature, 2- Layering
1- As for the time signature, on the one hand I have to say drums is playing 4/4 and the bass is supporting drums, on the other hand the clean guitar lines are playing 7/4, I did that with the purpose of adding a flavor and make it more interesting which lead the listener to think a little bit more about what's happening there !.

2- There're 4 clean lines with with 3 different melodies and grooves, first melody playing with it's octave and the second melody playing with it's arpeggio movements, the third melody with staccato technique and the cool thing about this is all of them are travelling around a certain chord progression

Due to the restrictions of the drums in terms of creating varied spaces, I tried to have a song which is included of Groove/Time signature, Melody/Bass guitar melody, Feel/Emotion, Technique and Space in less than 4 minutes

Thank you for time and listening :)

It was the staccato line that I am hearing that hits like a lot of compression thru the cans! I didn't actually count it out, but I thought I was hearing 2 almost conflicting time signatures going at the same time! It definitely felt like there was motion around and thru the chord progression ... well done .. gonna give this another listen thru the cans when I get home :)

Thank you for sharing!

It was the staccato line that I am hearing that hits like a lot of compression thru the cans! I didn't actually count it out, but I thought I was hearing 2 almost conflicting time signatures going at the same time! It definitely felt like there was motion around and thru the chord progression ... well done .. gonna give this another listen thru the cans when I get home :)

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you so much :)

Back
Top Bottom