My Mesa Mark IV Patch Demo Clip - Raw Petrucci/Sfogli Style Tone With No Backing

shredi knight

Power User
Here's a clip of my main Mark IV patch (USA Lead 2+ sim) I put together over the holiday. Rhythm & lead playing (i.e. lots of shredding :)), with a couple of familiar Petrucci riffs thrown in. I recorded this from my Axe-Fx II directly into my Boss BR-864 8-track recorder. It's mostly single tracked, with only a mono delay added to the left side (the delay is from my Boss recorder, not the Axe-Fx). The Petrucci section if double tracked (panned hard left & right) and completely dry with no effects.

The patch will be made available for anyone interested "soon" (and I already know I play with way too much gain, no point telling me). :mrgreen

Please let me know what you think of the tone (and the playing too I guess, since for once I finally got my chops up to a decent level before making a clip). Enjoy:

EDIT - Thanks for all the positive comments guys, I really appreciate it. I'll try to post tomorrow sometime and explain how I made the patch and let you know when you can get it (too tired tonight). In the meanwhile, I decided to remix the clip because I noticed the balance was off a little (yes, I'm anal :mrgreen), plus I wanted to add a dry track to the lead sections (i.e. everything expect for the Petrucci part) and pan it straight up the middle to thicken the sound some. I usually do that when I make a clip, but didn't feel like it at the time when I originally mixed it. I also lessened the delay a little, though it was unintentional (I actually increased it to compensate for the extra dry track I added, but I undershot it a bit) I think it sounds better this way, but my ears are shot right now, so let me know what you think.

Thanks again:

Last edited:
Your chops are amazing.

As far as tone goes - I think it is OK, but I do not like that kind of high end sizzle, I would try to get rid of it - that is what I call fizz :)

I am not sure how it would work in the mix, try the tone with the full band recording and then maybe I will go like - man, I have to have that patch! :)

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, I really appreciate it. I'll try to post tomorrow sometime and explain how I made the patch and let you know when you can get it (too tired tonight). In the meanwhile, I decided to remix the clip because I noticed the balance was off a little (yes, I'm anal :mrgreen), plus I wanted to add a dry track to the lead sections (i.e. everything expect for the Petrucci part) and pan it straight up the middle to thicken the sound some. I usually do that when I make a clip, but didn't feel like it at the time when I originally mixed it. I also lessened the delay a little, though it was unintentional (I actually increased it to compensate for the extra dry track I added, but I undershot it a bit) I think it sounds better this way, but my ears are shot right now, so let me know what you think.

Thanks again:

(I also added this post to my original one above.)

Sorry it's taken me so long to post again in this thread, but it's been a really screwed up past week or so and I haven't really been online very much. I won't go into too much detail, but my in-laws (who live just a couple of houses away from us) were the victims of a home invasion and were assaulted and robbed at gun point one evening last week. We have reason to believe my father in-law was specifically targeted and that these lowlifes that live very close to us in our neighborhood may be involved. The police seem to be on top of it and we are hoping for an arrest(s) soon. I have always been against having a gun in the house (mainly because I have kids), but now have a loaded one within arm's reach at all times (good times :roll).

Anyway, thank for all the (mostly) positive comments about the clip. I understand that much gain, along with the top end sizzle, may not be to everyone's taste, but it's what I was going for. I like an aggressive, punchy rhythm tone that sounds like its about to blow up, but with a sweet sounding, smooth lead tone at the same time (something like Doug Aldrich's tone on the live Whitesnake DVD). I should have mentioned that this patch was tweaked with and for playing through my studio monitors. I did zero re-tweaking for the direct recording. While it sounds pretty close direct, I definitely like the way it sounds out my monitors more.

The patch is the result of using 2 Tone-Matches (one was saved and used as a User Cab since you can only have one Tone-Match block per patch) and lots of tweaking. The first TM block was taken from one of forum member floydian80's "amp match" patches were he used a real Mesa Mark V (just the amp was Tone-Matched, there was no cab sound "baked in" the TM block) You can find his patches here: (the TM block was taken from patch # 14, "Mark V Ch3 IIC+ Bright") http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-tone-match/52546-mark-v-amp-match-all-channels-modes.html

The second Tone-Match was done by me, using the intro to this clip of a real Mesa Mark IV as the source: http://tonefinder.com/files/6-Mark IV - Bad Boys.mp3.

In the patch layout, the "amp match" TM block comes directly after the amp block, followed by a User Cab of the Tone-Match I created from the clip. I like to think of the "amp-match" TM block as the Mesa's on-board graphic eq, and the second TM (User Cab) as the cab. Neither one of those is strictly true, but I think they do work very well together.

As far as sharing the patch, the only way I know how to do that is with using Axe-Edit, which isn't an option until the new version comes out. Since I see new patches being added all the time to the Axe Change, there obviously must be another way of doing it that I'm not aware of. If anyone would care to explain how to get the patch from my Axe-Fx to my computer without using Axe-Edit, I'd be happy to share it.

Alright, I'm done rambling. Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Shredi I remember you from before... you're on the Petrucci forum also right?

I hope I come across the right way. This will be constructive criticism. I'm sorry to say this but to me that doesn't sound like a real amp but a modeler... like something I got out of a Boss GT 8 years ago. That is something I've ever faced with my Axe-Fx. And sadly enough I don't mean that it's better than a real amp either.

Generally speaking you've got way too much gain... try having gain around 6 for Petrucci tones. After that I'd say you don't have a balanced tone which might be due to what you're using for listening. You could use a lot more low end. The delay is also over the top and why is it only on the left side?

I think the reason for this must be that you're monitoring isn't proper but ofcourse I might be wrong. The positive side would be that it does sound like a Mark series amp! :)

Back
Top Bottom