My Main Live Regular guitar type Patches

Larry Mitchell

Power User
Hello my fellow Axe Tone Friends,

Since I've started using my Ultra, I would occasionally get asked for some patches or what settings I use (Amps, Delays Stuff). Well my crazy year of production has wound down and I have been enjoying being just a guitar player again. (I get to practice and tweak guitar sounds on EVERYTHING. So I decided to upload some of my main guitar patches to the forum. Feel free to put them in axe change if you think they are worth it. I'm not sure how much use you can get out of them as guitars maybe different, Speaker monitoring systems maybe different also Im using Redwirz Marshall 4x12 G something (Man I need to figure that one out for sure) cab with 421 2 inches off axis. So right there things will be different. I use the Same Cab for all of my patches, cause that's what works for me. :)

Also. These are my main live basic patches. They work great live coming through stage Monitors which are usually EQ'd for Vocals. But they also work well through little Roland AC-60 Acoustic amps and I sometimes I plug into the Effects return of rented back-line (usually Fender type amps and the sounds are not so bad but it's more for having a little guitar sound roll off the stage since the stage monitors are pointed towards me. :) So I end up with a sound out front that sounds great, cuts through the band (even a 9 piece Funk rock Latin Jazz Afro Cuban band that I play with in San Diego some times). and a the Monitor sound plus a sort of strange on stage amp sound with the Speaker sims on. But only the people in the very front would hear that, they would also hear what they should hear coming from the house Speakers.

I EQ My Patches with My Genelc (with a Sub) monitors in my studio, and I've tweaked them at many sound checks. So I feel OK about how the onstage sound can sometimes be a bit bright or some times a bit bass heavy(depending on how I monitor, but I know that it works out front so I leave it alone and deal with listening to it that way.

My Main Clean patch is the Shiva and it has Delay and 2 Chorus blocks in it, one for Chorus and the other for Vibrato, I'm stuck on the Boss CE-1/Retro Sonic Chorus type thing. :) IA, Careful It should have the Comp, Pitch 1 Drive and one of the Chorus blocks Bypassed to start with. There is also a Volume Block assigned to EXT 1 so you may not get any sound if you don't have a pedal assigned to it.

My Main Crunch, Marsha BE And it should be Bone dry, I've never been a fan of Verb unless it's a special effect. I prefer Delay but since this is for crunch and rhythm parts, No Delay. It is set up for Spill over though.

My Main Lead patch uses the Marsha HBE Low Drive setting but the master is cranked. It has Delay on it and that's about it.

All The Patches should have Comp or Wah waiting to engage as well as and Oct lower before the amp and a fifth after the amp just begging be switched on. There should also be a looper (Delay 2) as well.

Also My Global EQ's are pretty dramatic (too me) I roll off a lot of Lows and a lot highs.

I uploaded a video of these patches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP47HJlOY8w
The sounds is from the Camera mic. I will also upload another video with the Sounds going direct to pro Tools, No Eqing or extra compression, (Very unreal-world situations) :)
[attachment=2:10jk4b4x]Larry Mitchell Main Clean Shiva .syx[/attachment:10jk4b4x]
[attachment=1:10jk4b4x]Larry Mitchell Main Chrunch Marsha BE.syx[/attachment:10jk4b4x]
[attachment=0:10jk4b4x]Larry Mitchell Main Lead Patch Marsha HBE DLY 2.syx[/attachment:10jk4b4x]

I hope that answers a few questions for those truly seemed interested. I'll post the other video link as soon as I get it up there.

Thanks
Larry

Attachments

• Larry Mitchell Main Clean Shiva .syx
    2 KB · Views: 398
  • Larry Mitchell Main Chrunch Marsha BE.syx
    2 KB · Views: 396
  • Larry Mitchell Main Lead Patch Marsha HBE DLY 2.syx
    2 KB · Views: 393
Awesome dude, very cool of you to share! :)

As I wholeheartedly agree that the guitar can make a difference, making a note of your guitar here as mentioned in the vid ;) -- 24-fret Ibanez SV, stock pickups

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments. Here is the video with the patches going direct. It sounds much better than the camera mic does. Also i wrote the amp setting down in the video for those who have problems loading in patches thru midi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqwzuFOw ... re=channel

The guitar makes a big difference. When i record I am constantly moving the input level and changing the Bass / treble knobs.

The Cabinet makes a huge difference!

Thanks

Larry

Thanks Larry for sharing! Looking forward to checking these out tonight. Even if I don't like the sounds, I still like seeing how other people use the Axe. You can usually find something helpful in others patches even if it's not the sound you are looking for.

Woo-hoo! Thanks Larry, much appreciated!

While you're at it, could you upload a little bit of your talent? I'd love to download and install some of *that*!!!

I'm interested in checking out your chorus settings!

I was a part of a Retro Sonic tourbox a long time ago right after those pedals came out. I'm not even a chorus fan, but I loved that pedal! I hated to mail it on to the next guy. If you're into the same thing, I think I'm going to like your patch with the choruses in it.

Any chance you could let us know what your global EQ settings are? That's going to make a big difference in how the patches sound, so I'd like to hear them as you intended.

Thanks!
D

Thanks for sharing your patches Larry. :D
Loved the chorus/shiva clean, very nice! I'm very interested in your effects setting in particular, 'cause like you said a lot of factors vary from one user to the next but I always like to see the efx and how they're set up for the patch and then incorporate them to my patches.

Oh and GREAT riffage on that video!

I was just about to check out your videos i saw yesterday to match your tone, then i see this post on the forum :mrgreen: you just made it that much easier!

Thanks Larry for sharing.
The Redwirez IR that you choose is really good. Very balanced to my ears.
I made a pic of the response curve, because I really wanna find out what a great IR is actually doing.

Liking the way you're tweaking the amp models, too. Great inspiration.

Attachments

• RW421.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 236
Many thanks.

Is that a Cap off-axis IR?
Could you give an idea of your Global EQ settings?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the kind words! Java , Thank you for all of your help! :)
Yek, Yes I believe the cab I am using is off axis

DieSchmalle, thanks for the Pic.

Axisman5150 I love the CE-1 and the Retro sonic Chorus. I'm not sure if my chorus settings get that close but I like what i have and I'm rolling with. :) Java gave me some good help with the chorus block awhile ago. I don't remember if I'm still using a lot of his tweaks but I know that I started there.Oh, I do pan the chorus to one side like the Retro and the CE-1 does. So if your in Mono it maybe not so good. Either all chorus or non at all depending on which out put you use.

Global EQ 1 Settings are
63 -5.7
125 -3.2
250 0.0
500 1.0
1k -1.5
2k -4.0
4k -4.5
8k -9.2

Thank you again guys, I hope that I can contribute around here a little bit as I have learned so much from this forum.
Larry

Thanks, Larry! You are a class act for sure. I'm not that familiar with your music - yet. Was diggin that Axe setting video. Kind of reminded me of an old Jean Luc Ponty (SP?) CD my dad has that we listen to every now and then. He had a guest guitarist - Holdsworth maybe? Sorry, out of my normal style, but I love good guitar playing in any style.

Back
Top Bottom