My Main Gigging Preset "Rig Rundown"

Axe-Master
Here's a breakdown of my main gigging preset, including why and how I implement certain effects and advanced tweaks. It's long, with plenty of rambling, but hopefully it's got some useful content for anyone designing presets for performance.

Topics I delve into ;
- Gain structure and use of scene controllers
- IR choice and cab parameters.
- Advanced parameter tweaking; motor drive, output comp, dynamic depth
- Effects and scene structure used to play certain parts

Funny, I was going to shoot you a message regarding a live clip I watched last night of you. I was curious whether you were using the Axe or not.

Look forward to checking this out later! Thanks for sharing your process!

AWESOME!!! I enjoyed watching that.
The looper with the riff in between tuning or songs was a great idea!

Other than the 4 scenes, how do you have your foot switches set up?

~ss

Here's a breakdown of my main gigging preset, including why and how I implement certain effects and advanced tweaks. It's long, with plenty of rambling, but hopefully it's got some useful content for anyone designing presets for performance.

Topics I delve into ;

I love it! Sounds incredible, man!

AWESOME!!! I enjoyed watching that.
The looper with the riff in between tuning or songs was a great idea!

Other than the 4 scenes, how do you have your foot switches set up?

~ss

I've got the scenes across the bottom and delay, wah, drive and pitch blocks on the top. That way I can visually monitor if the wah is engaged (in case I leave the expression pedal cocked) and add/subtract the main effects I use where needed.

Thanks Leon, that's a great source of information. I was actually thinking of asking you about how you set up rhythmic delays after listening to the Ragdoll album, having already nicked some amp settings from one of your Friedman patches :)

I'm with you on the Delay's! ... I need to dive into that stuff a bit more as well .... Sounds great man!

Topics I delve into ;

Great Video, very informative for a newbie like me! Lol.
I'm running the Angle Severe amp with BBE drive pedal in the front( can't remember the exact name).
I noticed you have your gain quite high. I rehearsed for the 1st time with my AX8 and 2 FRFR cabs and I noticed when I'm palm muting heavy chords it seems that the volume dips or kinda wavers ever so slightly. I pretty much run the amp stock with the exception of turning up the gain to about 6.00 and the input to about 4.30 or so. I'm learning as I go. Kinda sucks because I can't play at a rehearsal or live levels at home. Making these teaks during a rehearsal is tough when your trying to rehearse for 3 sets. Also, due you think that the gate would have any affect on the volume while playing.
Thank you.

Hello Leon,
Really enjoyed your video which provides someone new to the unit like me valuable hands on experience. I was curious if you use a clean sound for any of your live playing? I love the Mark II++ and have also come to really like the yellow tri-axis models as well and wondered what your approach would be in a set-up similar to this one which would also incorporate a clean tone?
I actually have a Mesa MK IIC+ and one of my favorite sounds on the amp is the clean channel set-up which you can get acoustic clean / chimey tone if you want. Just wondered if you have worked this type of clean tone on other presets (for intros, bridges, etc.) in the same way which would operate like the amp from say a clean scene transitioning over to the lead channel sound (like the actual amp does) with the same MK IIC++ amp model....I would think it would clean up; I have always run both the amp as well as the AX8 MK II++ presets without any drives as I always run the actual amp live with the pre-amp (lead drive, presence, lead master, and volume) pretty hard which achieves the over driven sound everyone likes without any external drive.

Very much appreciate all your insights and look forward to more of your videos.
Thanks.

Great Video, very informative for a newbie like me! Lol.
I'm running the Angle Severe amp with BBE drive pedal in the front( can't remember the exact name).
I noticed you have your gain quite high. I rehearsed for the 1st time with my AX8 and 2 FRFR cabs and I noticed when I'm palm muting heavy chords it seems that the volume dips or kinda wavers ever so slightly. I pretty much run the amp stock with the exception of turning up the gain to about 6.00 and the input to about 4.30 or so. I'm learning as I go. Kinda sucks because I can't play at a rehearsal or live levels at home. Making these teaks during a rehearsal is tough when your trying to rehearse for 3 sets. Also, due you think that the gate would have any affect on the volume while playing.
Thank you.
You can use the output comp (in the dynamics tab of the amp block) to help even that out; setting it around 1 or 2 for dirty sounds can help a lot.

Hello Leon,
Really enjoyed your video which provides someone new to the unit like me valuable hands on experience. I was curious if you use a clean sound for any of your live playing? I love the Mark II++ and have also come to really like the yellow tri-axis models as well and wondered what your approach would be in a set-up similar to this one which would also incorporate a clean tone?
I actually have a Mesa MK IIC+ and one of my favorite sounds on the amp is the clean channel set-up which you can get acoustic clean / chimey tone if you want. Just wondered if you have worked this type of clean tone on other presets (for intros, bridges, etc.) in the same way which would operate like the amp from say a clean scene transitioning over to the lead channel sound (like the actual amp does) with the same MK IIC++ amp model....I would think it would clean up; I have always run both the amp as well as the AX8 MK II++ presets without any drives as I always run the actual amp live with the pre-amp (lead drive, presence, lead master, and volume) pretty hard which achieves the over driven sound everyone likes without any external drive.

Very much appreciate all your insights and look forward to more of your videos.
Thanks.
I gravitate towards the USA clean model for chimey cleans, one of my favourites. I use my guitar volume and scene 2 (less input gain via a scene controller) if I need a cleaner tone live; it's more a gritty light OD than pristine clean as I find it sits in a mix better.

Back
Top Bottom