My longtime AX8 user interface wishes, and some bugs

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Request: SHIFT + 2x EDIT
  • Pressing SHIFT - 2x EDIT on the LAYOUT tab switches a block between X and Y.
    To achieve the same result in a block's EDIT mode, we need to press EDIT twice, without SHIFT. In the same screen SHIFT - 2x EDIT is assigned to another function: resetting the block.
    Maintaining the result of pressing SHIFT + 2x EDIT across screens would be more consistent.
Request: SHIFT + NAV
  • SHIFT - NAV Left/Right moves the focus.
    But it doesn't work in the Tuner's CONFIG screen, nor in the TEMPO screen, nor in the PEQ block.
Bug: Changing default scene
  • Adjusting Default Scene (on CFG page) on the hardware doesn't lit up "EDITED". It should be lit because the preset needs to be stored to save the Default Scene setting.
Bug: Pedal port
  • The GEQ block doesn't switch between engaged/bypassed states, if a connected momentary switch is set to Continuous and directly (not through an external controller) assigned to the GEQ's MIDI CC.
Bug: Display
  • On the layout screen on the hardware:
    • Add an FXL block right above a CAB block.
    • Select the CAB block. The display will show "CAB X" (bottom right).
    • Now use the "E" to scroll directly to the FXL block.
    • The display will still show "CAB X" (bottom right).
Request: Flanger: LFO Reset
  • Please add the LFO Reset parameter to the Flanger block, just like on the Axe-Fx II.
Bug: AX8-Edit display (Infinite Compressor)
  • When Ratio is turned to max in the Compressor, AX8-Edit shows a value of "20" instead of "infinite".
Request: AX8-Edit Preset Picker
  • Please let Preset Picker display entire banks on one screen.
Request: AX8-Edit: omit numbers from preset titles
  • Please add the option to omit numbers from exported preset titles.
Bug: AMP X/Y
  • Assign a switch to AMP X/Y
  • Select a block (i.e. Reverb or Drive) and press EDIT
  • Press the AMP X/Y switch
  • You'll now see the name of the amp model appear. I.e. the name of the Reverb or Drive type will be replaced with an amp model name.
Request: Pressing switches in Tuner Mode
  • In Tuner mode we can press switches 1-8 to change scenes or engage/bypass effects, without leaving Tuner mode. But as soon as we press a switch that has been assigned to an effect that's not present in the current preset, Tuner Mode quits. That's confusing.
Bug: Scene Select
  • Assign F1 to Single Preset and F3 to Single Scene.
  • Press F3 (Single Scene).
  • Instead of selecting a scene, press F1 (Single Preset). (the LED above F3 is still lit)
  • Now select a preset. (the LED above F3 is now dimmed!)
  • Now press an effect switch. What happens now is that not an effect wil be engaged/bypassed, but the AX8 will switch to another scene.
  • So it's a delayed scene switch, but not as such indicated by the LED. It's not obvious to the player what happens, because there are no LEDs, and scene numbers are displayed in a tiny font.
Request: Menu wrapping
  • The Global and I/O menus on the Axe-Fx II and FX8 do not wrap around at the end.
    The Global and I/O menus on the AX8 do wrap around.
    Personally I prefer the approach of the FX8 and Axe-Fx, but whatever it is, please keep it consistent across devices.
Request: AX8-Edit Preset buttons appearance
  • I'd love slightly different visual Preset buttons, to be able to differentiate them from the 8 Scene buttons.
    A simple way would be to rename 1-8 into P1-P8 resp. S1-S8.
Request: AX8-Edit Preset arrows
  • I press the BANK UP/DOWN arrows by accident a lot, thinking they are preset arrows like in Axe-Edit and FX8-Edit.
    I'd like to see dedicated PRESET UP/DOWN arrows added.
Request: Return to FS page
  • Perhaps add an option to the GLOBAL menu to make the AX8 always return to the FS page after using the F-switches or 1-8 switches to switch presets.
Request: Preset/Bank Select behavior
  • We can assign a F-switch directly to BANK UP/DOWN. We can also use SINGLE/STICKY PRESET/BANK to switch banks and select a preset. But the behavior/result is different. The screen is different, and SINGLE/STICKY PRESET/BANK let us select a preset from a list.
    I prefer the way SINGLE/STICKY PRESET/BANK works and would like to see that applied to "direct" BANK UP/DOWN" too.
Request: Scene Select indication
  • When we press SINGLE/STICKY PRESET/BANK, 7 preset switches start to blink (green), making it obvious what's happening and what to do next.
    However, this is not the case when pressing SINGLE/STICKY SCENE. Only a single LED indicates Scene Select mode.
    Let's make all red LEDs blink in the same way as when selecting presets, to indicate that a scene can be selected.
Request: X/Y Select indication
  • Currently there is no visual indication after having pressed a F-switch assigned to SINGLE/STICKY X/Y.
    Let's add a (short) notice on the main screen, for example: "Press Effect Switch to change X/Y".
Request: PAGE feature
  • The introduction of a PAGE feature would allow the user access to more switches, as follows:
    • add the option to assign an F-switch to PAGE
    • pressing PAGE will switch the AX8 to another layer of switch assignments: 9-16. These can be assigned to functions, just like switches 1-8
    • pressing PAGE again returns to the main FS page.
  • This is similar to REVEAL on the MFC-101.
Request: Shorten display time of physical controls adjustments
  • When making quick adjustments with the physical amp control knobs, we have to wait for quite a long time (about 3 secs) for the overlay to disappear. This makes it difficult to make quick adjustments and then quickly return to the main screen.
    Please make the wait period user-definable.
Request: Preset display
  • My eyes aren't that bad, but I have trouble reading the names of the 8 presets after pressing Single / Sticky Preset, looking down.
    I'd like to have an additional display mode which displays the 8 abbreviated preset names in two columns of 4 presets, in a large, narrow and bold font.
  • Some of us do not need the Footswitch Display, because we use "global" switches and put labels on the AX8. In. We would love an alternative display mode, which would show the current preset and current scene in a large font.
Request: Preset title on FS screen: improve visibility
  • Let's improve the visibility of the preset title on the main (FS) screen. Center it on the screen, and use a bold font. If possible, animate it by letting it blink (option), or scroll it from left to right.
Request: Display Large Scene
  • The AX8 can be configured to show the preset title for a few seconds in a large font.
    Let's apply the same to scenes. Add a Global option to display the selected scene number in a large font, for an user-definable period. Because it can be quite hard to see the current scene number, looking down. This would be especially useful when using an external device (pedal or MIDI controller) to switch scenes, as quite a few people do.
Request: Overrule "per scene" state of Control Switches
Request: Global amp
Request: MIDI functionality
  • Add MSD en LSB fields to the MIDI page of presets. This expands the ability to control other devices through MIDI, not being limited to the first 127 Program Changes.
  • Expand the MIDI-capabilities of the AX8 through the addition of the MIDI block as featured on the FX8.
Request: Expand the 'press-and-hold' functionality
  • Expand "press-and-hold" functionality to add features such as "global preset" and "backtracking", just like on the MFC-101, or Scene Select.
Bug: Manual
  • The table "FACTORY DEFAULT MIDI CC SETTINGS" at the end of the manual doesn't list the MIDI CC for AMP X/Y.
Request: keep focus
  • Axe-Edit keeps the focus on the selected grid position when switching between presets. AX8-Edit however as well as the hardware display always moves the focus back to the start of the grid when switching presets.

Last edited:
AX8-Edit: Preset buttons appearance
  • I'd love to see slightly different visual Preset buttons, to differentiate them from the 8 Scene buttons. A simple way would be to rename 1-8 into P1-P8, and S1-S8.

This is on my list as well. Perhaps rune one horizontal and one vertical. Something to differentiate them more visually. I've clicked the preset buttons too many times when I meant to click the scene and lost my edits. A configurable confirmation when changing from an edited preset would be nice as well to have a chance to throw up a stop if you clicked in error.

AX8-Edit: Preset arrows
  • I press the BANK UP/DOWN arrows by accident a lot, thinking they are preset arrows as in Axe-Edit and FX8-Edit. I'd love to see dedicated PRESET UP/DOWN arrows added.
Ahhh yes, I'd find this useful for sure. I too keep hitting the BANK UP/DOWN arrows occasionally to change presets in AX8-Edit as I've been so used to the preset arrows in Axe-Edit.

AX8-Edit: Preset buttons appearance
  • I'd love to see slightly different visual Preset buttons, to differentiate them from the 8 Scene buttons. A simple way would be to rename 1-8 into P1-P8, and S1-S8.
Yes, I'd like to have that as well.

Scene Select indication
  • When I press SINGLE/STICKY PRESET/BANK, 7 preset switches start to blink (green), making it very obvious what to do next.
    This is not the case when pressing SINGLE/STICKY SCENE.
    My suggestion is to make the red LEDs blink in the same way as when selecting presets.
I'd find this suggestion, if implemented, useful too. Or, have only the selected preset/scene LED blink to indicate preset/scene modes instead of having 7 LEDs blinking and one always on; would be less distracting overall and a single blinking selected preset/scene switch LED may be quicker to locate visually vs 7 blinking and one continuously lit....just a thought.

Last edited:
Always appreciate your input Yek. Thanks
Good list with some great ideas.
I especially like anything that keeps consistency among units. It's challenging when one has to switch back and forth among units and things don't work the same. Obviously it ALL can't be the same, yet consistent parameters, functions, options, Global, etc are ALL good.

I already maintain a personal wishlist for the Axe-Fx II.
PAGE feature
  • The introduction of a PAGE feature would allow the user access to more switches, as follows:
    • Add the option to assign an F-switch to PAGE.
    • Pressing PAGE will switch the AX8 to another layer of switch assignments: 9-16. These can be assigned to functions, just like switches 1-8.
    • Pressing PAGE again returns to the main FS page.
  • Similar to REVEAL on the MFC-101.

That would be amazing! Or at least allow the 3 F-switches free to be reassigned. If I don't use looper or other banks those switches lay down there without any important function...

@yek, all of your requests seem to me like rather small evolutionary changes compared to what's usually being requested around here. When did you articulate them the first time ?

@yek, all of your requests seem to me like rather small evolutionary changes compared to what's usually being requested around here. When did you articulate them the first time ?

Over the course of time.

It's been all quiet on the user interface front for a long time now.
I still hope that some of these wishes become reality. It would make the user experience so much better.

Back
Top Bottom