my Little Giant doesn't recognise MIDI IN signals

pisquano

Inspired
I preface by saying Xavier is going the extra mile to help me out but I am kind of stuck

I connected the Fractal to the LG (which has been set up for 2 way communication), but because I still don't have a 7-pin cable (on the way) I am using two 5-pin cables, which should work just as well.

now...midi out from the LG works fine and I can change presets on the AXE FX, but midi in doesn't seem to work - I used a certain preset that Xavier sent me to test the TUNER and it just will not work. the LG's midi in led doesn't even light up.
I don't think it's a problem with the Fractal's midi OUT, as I used extensively the AXE Editor, which required patch dump from the AXE and it works beautifully
I also don't think it'a problem with the cables, as I swapped them and they both work great when passing midi out from LG to midi in AXE Fx.

I am kind of stuck now, as until I get this to work I cannot map the LG to interact with my AXE FX
any help appreciated and I just want to say Xavier has the best customer support Ever! but this time I might require some extra suggestion from this forum :mrgreen:
Fed

don't have an LG so I can only work this from the Axe-Fx angle...
What firmware are you on?
And under I/O > MIDI > what's the setting for "Send Realtime SysEx"?

under I/O > MIDI > what's the setting for "Send Realtime SysEx"?

I have set TUNER or ALL, and in both cases the tuner it's triggered

I have the latest firmware on both the LG and the Fractal Ultra, and using the latest beta of the Axe Edit.
I also have a V2 Little Giant, the latest version.
I will explain as it's a bit weird: the PC is connected to the LG and if I use the LG control center I can see there's no problem.
the AXE is connected to the LG and I can see midi from LG to the fractal works fine (I can trigger presets)
even the midi from the Fractal to the LG seems to work fine, as I can trigger the TUNER from the LG..

the one thing that doesn't work (anymore, as it did once yesterday) is to control the AXE from the AXE edit via the LG, which is crucial to create the mapping on the LG.
when I open the Axe edit I put "Little Giant" under midi in and midi out (as I did the one time it worked), but the Axe edit keeps says "check midi settings"

I tried reinstalling the Axe edit- nothing
restarting the PC - nothing
swapping midi cables - nothing
checking all the MIDI parameters on the AXE FX - nothing wrong with them
strangely if i click the "test" button under midi parameters of the AXE Edit, all the midi in/out leds of the LG and midi in of the AXE FX light up, as to suggest that there IS a connection, but it's just not working fine....
the other strange thing is that if I click "tuner" on the Axe Edit it does trigger the tuner on the Axe FX, so there is some sort of communication, but still I cannot see or recall my presets on the AXE Edit, nor create any mapping.

for some reason :x :x the AXE edit cannot comunicate anymore with the Fractal via the LG (please note the AXE edit still works fine if i connect it DIRECTLY to the AXE FX, it just won't work via the LG - that's why I thought it could be a problem with the LG, especially the USB connection?)

please help!!!! :oops: :cry:

pisquano said:
the one thing that doesn't work (anymore, as it did once yesterday) is to control the AXE from the AXE edit via the LG, which is crucial to create the mapping on the LG.
There is one important restriction in USB-MIDI functionality (in general), which I'm trying to document on several places, but which still causes lots of trouble and/or confusion : it is NOT possible to use a MIDI-USB port in 2 applications simultaneously.

The primary LG2 MIDI-USB port talks to the main MIDI connector set (MIDI IN/MIDI OUT) of the LG2.
The secondary LG2 MIDI-USB port talks to the secondary MIDI connector set of the LG2 (FROM FCB / TO FCB)
The third LG2 MIDI-USB port is added as a dedicated communication channel between LG2 and ControlCenter.

By introducing this third port, it became possible to use ControlCenter and Axe-Edit simultaneously, since they each use their own port for communication with "their" device. This way you can do all you need to do with only 2 cables (USB + MIDI) and no cable swapping.
HOWEVER, the new Axe-LG merge tool, which is part of ControlCenter, does not talk to the LG2, but to the Axe-FX. It retrieves all setup info (preset names, effect states,...) directly from the Axe-FX, the same way as Axe-Edit does. Therefore it is not possible to do this AND have Axe-Edit open at the same time. Both applications need to use the same MIDI-USB port when they want to communicate through the same MIDI connectors, so it's the one or the other. It is also interesting to know that, after using the merge tool in ControlCenter, Axe-Edit is not capable of "re-gaining control" over the Axe-FX, unless you shut it down and launch it again.

I am not sure I understand then what the problem is

I am just following the same set up shown on the youtube video.
1 midi cable connecting AXE FX to LG, 1 midi/usb cable from LG to computer

both the LG control center and AXE edit open at the same time
what should i try then?
:?: :?:

I think Xavier say that having only 2 port, you should use another cable/midi port to comunicate whit axefx...

He is working on it, but lot of features means lots of time!

ossandust said:
HOWEVER, the new Axe-LG merge tool, which is part of ControlCenter, does not talk to the LG2, but to the Axe-FX. It retrieves all setup info (preset names, effect states,...) directly from the Axe-FX

Great! :ugeek:

pisquano said:
what should i try then?
Go step by step:
- launch Axe-Edit without ControlCenter open, and check if you can connect. (if that doesn't work, problem is not related to the reuse of the same port. But since that worked before, I guess it should keep working as long as no MIDI settings or Sysex ID is modified in Axe-Edit)
- launch ControlCenter without launching the Axe-LG merge tool and without activating the MIDI monitor (which reminds me you reported that you were not able to do so : de-activating the MIDI monitor is done by un-checking the checkbox "monitor LG-generated MIDI" in the Communication tab of ControlCenter)

I will test tonight and see if I can find an action or combination of actions wich makes Axe-Edit to stop communicating.

ossandust said:
pisquano said:
what should i try then?
Go step by step:
- launch Axe-Edit without ControlCenter open, and check if you can connect. (if that doesn't work, problem is not related to the reuse of the same port. But since that worked before, I guess it should keep working as long as no MIDI settings or Sysex ID is modified in Axe-Edit)
- launch ControlCenter without launching the Axe-LG merge tool and without activating the MIDI monitor (which reminds me you reported that you were not able to do so : de-activating the MIDI monitor is done by un-checking the checkbox "monitor LG-generated MIDI" in the Communication tab of ControlCenter)

I will test tonight and see if I can find an action or combination of actions wich makes Axe-Edit to stop communicating.
Xaviedr
I will do this test but which configuration of cables should I try?
should I just stick with 1 midi cable from LG to AXE (midi in), and one USB from LG to PC?
or should I add one usb to midi from Axe (midi out) to PC?
or should I use 2 midi cables from LG to AXe using both midi in and out (I actually tried this and it didn't work) + the usb to the PC?

Back
Top Bottom