My Library: Shelf #1.. Amps!

nikki-k

Experienced
Hi!
With all the deep underpinnings available for us to tweak with the Axe-Fx, and especially with the Axe-Fx II (and seemingly more with each new major firmware version), I figured it might be cool to start building a library, and stock it with some books that could/should help provide a bit of insight. First up, a basic set of books for amp knowledge.

First up, something that I feel anyone can benefit from having.. well, except maybe the most well cooked of us :D (BTW- linking to Amazon out of habit; please check to see if the author has them for sale, as they may benefit from a direct sale more). The Guitar Amp Handbook - Understanding Tube Amplifiers And Getting Great Sounds, by Dave Hunter. This book delves into the basics of tube amps, some basic electronics, and a bit of theory. However, it is done through example, and by utilizing some well known and venerable amp designs. Pictures! Yes, lots of pictures :D If you do not understand Pentode and Triode.. Sag and B+... transformers (more than meets the eye).. caps and resistors.. and how they all contribute to produce this incredible piece of art, this is a must-have (IMO). There are more comprehensive books out there, but I really feel that this one is easy to understand, and builds from the most basic designs, right up through a Soldano Decatone and more. I own this, and still go back through it after having read through it... many, many times. Ditto on the next two books...

Next up, Gerald Weber. These are definitely more "in depth," and a bit more complex. Tube Amp Talk For The Guitarist And Tech is one, and A Desktop Reference Of Hip Guitar Amps is the second one I would recommend. These include the (infamous?) "Trainwreck Pages" by Ken Fischer, plus tons of schematics and other goodies. All of this comes with a bit of forewarning: opinions abound. Strong opinions at times. However, the educational value FAR outweighs any of that IMO. Gerald Weber has other books available, but I feel these two are the most essential as "primer" books. Once again though, if you have not made it through Dave Hunter's book, find that technical tomes are quite boring, or find that material a bit difficult to digest, these two books might be a bit of a chore, and may be best left on the shelf.

These days, with "paperless publishing," forums (such as this one!!!), and blogs galore, a physical library is but one resource. In that spirit, and in keeping with the "understanding amplifiers" theme, I offer:
The Amp Garage (predominantly Dumble and Trainwreck discussion)
Metro Amp (seller of amp kits; this forum has a goldmine of amp info)
Vintage Amps (Tons of vintage amp info, with a good selection of brand specific areas)
And, finally, for those interested in expanding beyond guitar amplifiers..
DIY Audio (wealth of info, very broad in scope)

Those forums are frequented by many types; please be aware that when you delve into areas such as those, etiquette becomes a huge priority.

Of course, Wikipedia is a great place to find information. The amount of information available online is truly staggering, but please take care, as there is a lot of misinformation out there as well. The three physical books I suggested are.. best enjoyed as physical books IMO. Rather than Amazon, also please feel free to check out Powells Books; this is a local bookseller AND buyer, so they have TONS of books, including out-of-print and rare.

I hope someone finds this useful!

Thanks for listing some of those titles and some of the links. I have read a couple of them, and they are quite informative. There's a lot of similar info that you can find online these days, but there's also a lot about a well written book that makes things much more useful, and it's handy to have. They smell pretty nice too! :p

Thanks for the links (and for your other post on the Digital Audio book, which I expect to receive today).

And then there is the RCA tube manual - here is a link:

http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/RC30.pdf
Hah! That was what was completely nagging me!!! I must have stared at the post for 15 minutes or so, rereading it, and trying to figure out what was missing. I knew I had left something (vital) out from the "available online" items. Thank you so much! (breathes sigh of relief)

Thanks so much for the link! The site has an amazing collection of tube books available for download:
Technical books online

I highly recommend Radiotron Designer's Handbook Fourth Edition.
...And that was another one. IMO, the Radiotron one is invaluable, as it is foundationally required (IMO). However, both books cited from that site are a bit deeper, and less "layman's terms."

Next Library post will be Electronics books, possibly some maths :D

Hah! That was what was completely nagging me!!! I must have stared at the post for 15 minutes or so, rereading it, and trying to figure out what was missing. I knew I had left something (vital) out from the "available online" items. Thank you so much! (breathes sigh of relief)

You're welcome!

With respect to electronic books - the one I had in school was Malvino Electronic Principles. A well-written book, as I recall - but unfortunately, I don't think it deals with tubes at all.

Dave

I've read several of your suggestions and they are excellent--thanks for posting. I'll check out the ones I haven't seen.

Another good book that gets into some depth is The Ultimate Tone: Modifying and Custom Building Tube Guitar Amps by Kevin O'Connor. ...

Kevin O'Connor's entire TUT series (The Ultimate Tone) is a good read, but at 300 pages per book they're a long read (I spent a lot of time in airports and on planes in 2004/2005 and made it through Tu1 - Tut5). He covers electronics, acoustics and even how humans hear and perceive sound. His website is Tube Amp Kits, Tube Amp Books, Tube Amplifiers by London Power

Dan Torres' "Inside Tube Amps" is a good start for people who have used tube amps but have little to no previous knowledge of electronics.

Malvino Electronic Principles

"Malvino". . . wow, reading the name took me back 34 years! My favourite textbook, from my favourite class and favourite instructor, was "Transistor Circuit Approximations" by Malvino. I still have it, and in fact I just pulled it off my bookshelf.

Thanks for the trip back in time!

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom