My Journey To Fractal - By Devin Townsend - Part 1+2

I'm not sure what they cost new, but used prices run around $4K-4.5K each for the Meyer MJF-212A. It's a lot of dough but like all Meyer gear I've ever run across, they are built really well and sound amazing. (Warning: subjective personal opinion.)
Wow, big bucks. Thank you!

Amazing read! Thanks for sharing your journey! Been a fan since I first heard Relentless.

I look forward to what the future brings with your dedication to Fractal! It was funny to read that you struggled with the low end. My Axe-FX II sits next to an old Triple Recto, and have always felt the same about the low end. I might have to check out those same presets....

Thanks for the awesome write-up Devin!

I don't think sharing presets would be helpful because I don't think many of us here rock Framus guitars.

What I would love to know is what sorta amps you use for each of your tones and what your approach is to making a patch?

I should add that NONE of our artists are paid for their endorsements. In fact they have to buy the gear. We don't give away free gear and we don't pay artists. This has been my policy since day one and we still abide by it. My feeling is that artists should use your gear because they like it, not because they've been compensated. It also motivates us to continue to improve.

The only exception to this is that Periphery received those custom blue faceplates free. Our contract manufacturer did those no-charge for us as thanks for being a good customer.

Last edited:
I should add that NONE of our artists are paid for their endorsements. In fact they have to buy the gear. We don't give away free gear and we don't pay artists. This has been my policy since day one and we still abide by it. My feeling is that a artists should use your gear because they like it, not because they've been compensated. It also motivates us to continue to improve.

The only exception to this is that Periphery received those custom blue faceplates free. Our contract manufacturer did those no-charge for us as thanks for being a good customer.

This policy is impeccable, and seems in order with how things work around here, and also explains why noted gear touter mr. Thorn waited until the Black November sale to obtain his new AX8...

I should add that NONE of our artists are paid for their endorsements. In fact they have to buy the gear. We don't give away free gear and we don't pay artists. This has been my policy since day one and we still abide by it. My feeling is that artists should use your gear because they like it, not because they've been compensated. It also motivates us to continue to improve.

Push this even futher, endorse bedroom player instead of artists! :D

Joking aside.. These solid principles are another thing that sets apart FAS from other companies.

Push this even futher, endorse bedroom player instead of artists! :D

Joking aside.. These solid principles are another thing that sets apart FAS from other companies.
I think its great that FAS has incorporated into the endorser list some forum members who contribute and are more local artists , like Todd Bishop of OZZ...

This policy is impeccable, and seems in order with how things work around here, and also explains why noted gear touter mr. Thorn waited until the Black November sale to obtain his new AX8...
When did you hear him say this???

I've heard Pete Thorn mention in videos for weeks that he's had one for a while sitting in the box... he just hasn't had a chance to open it up and review it.

Concerning the AX8 being un-used: It sounds just as good... but Devin's preset would use it for a Casualties of Cool gig, but his main presets use way too much CPU for the AX8. It's pushing the limit of the XL+ and even that's after we had to make a few compromises.

Concerning the AX8 being un-used: It sounds just as good... but Devin's preset would use it for a Casualties of Cool gig, but his main presets use way too much CPU for the AX8. It's pushing the limit of the XL+ and even that's after we had to make a few compromises.
Think they're talking about Pete Thorn.

Hi Devin nice to see you here. I have followed you since you came in my head light with the Vai album. It's nice to see that we now have the Axe Fx in common. I guess you know a lot about the unit already but I have made a video serie to help people out when using the Axe Fx. Maybe you can find something that will tickle your mind. Keep on rocking and I will watch more of your videos on youtube...

Back
Top Bottom