My initial experiences with the Seismic SAX-12M-PW 12" powered coaxial monitor

spoke to Brad at Seismic yesterday , I returned the damaged 12" wedge I had and now have the 15" powered version on it's way.
I will report when it arrives and let you guys know what I think.
if this one arrives damaged ,.................I'm out, otherwise I'm pretty excited to see how the Compact 15" measures up against the CLR.
One thing I have noticed since going back to one FRFR wedge.
Having 2 is much much better :)
W/D/W is much more fun than W/D LOL!

I have got to try W/D/W! It would be great to use my Xitone active for the D part. The Xitones feel more like a real cab, honestly.

And Brad has been good to work with. I have to check to make sure a full refund was applied for my damaged 12" SAX, but I believe so. Pretty sure the box was dropped.

I hope your 15" SAX is awesome.

I agree I think the Xitones are pretty awesome as well, but I can't justify the price difference.
I'll see how it goes with this one and take it from there.

It's funny, I have two of Mick's passive 2x12 wedges (with pole mounts) and they are so wonderful with the Axe (much more so with FW 12.04b). Just using one, you have a stereo rig. I never tried using two stereo cabs together in stereo because I don't have another power amp.

It's funny, I have two of Mick's passive 2x12 wedges (with pole mounts) and they are so wonderful with the Axe (much more so with FW 12.04b). Just using one, you have a stereo rig. I never tried using two stereo cabs together in stereo because I don't have another power amp.

Wait, you have two 2x12 wedges with pole mounts?
Have you tried them as PA tops? with a sub?

Yes. The pole mounts were installed. My bad shoulders struggle a bit with mounting them, unfortunately.

I've not tried them with a sub, but didn't find that the Xitones need one.

I'm using CLRs now (mainly for simplicity's sake), with an active Xitone 1x12 wedge. Can't wait to try that in a W/D/W!

If I wanted to seriously use the CLRs as a PA or even for critical studio monitoring, I would need a sub. The CLRs can get low bass, but not the really low sub bass frequencies. That's actually not a bad thing for their main purpose.

The Xitone 2x12s (using a Carvin DCM1540L) can get pretty low, and hold up very well. As I keep saying, the Xitones are awesome. They should be a great option for people who don't get along with the CLRs.

I will be selling the Xitone passives and DCM1540L. (And NOT looking forward to packing and shipping them! LOL) But, I would keep them if we weren't planning to move this year.

FWIW...

I did a show on Saturday using the Seismic 15" passive coaxials in a small PA rig, on tripod stands. Sort of a "make or break" minimalist gig for the Seismics. The gig is 2 vocals, acoustic and bass guitar, and occasional drum beat box for the post-dinner crowd. Usually we would put only the Acoustic and 2 vocals into the PA, and then have bass and drums run through my FR stage rig so as not to bother the FOH (a Fender Passport) with PA set up even with the vocal line, with no vocal monitors. I've never been happy with they way it sounds there...too disjointed...so...

I decided to go with running everything into the PA (Seismics, powered by a Crown xti 4002, 2 channel stereo, full range) via my Mackie 1608 digital board, and with the speakers/stands strategically placed so that they are behind us, angled in slightly, so as not to feed back, but so we could both clearly hear the entire mix from out of the 2 cabinets. For an acoustic gig like this in a small-ish venue (80-100 peeps), in a very long, narrow room, the sound coverage is difficult. We set up facing the "short" wall, which is probably no more than 18 feet wall to wall, if that. Good sound is kind of tricky here.

Long story short is that this set up worked very well, though it required a bit of corrective EQ for both the speakers and the room, but all in all was probably the best mix we've had in this room, ever. It was better balanced because we could hear everything in context, and since the PA speakers were behind us, we didn't need to strain to hear vocals or instruments alike. Typically, with the speakers placed even with or slightly in front of us, with no monitors, we would only hear the vocals rattling around the room off of nearby glass wall panels (yuck!), and the discrete bass/drum rig would dominate the stage mix. Also, with bass and drum content, the 15" speakers handled both with ease and clarity (thanks to channel compression) without breaking up at all.

I guess the moral of the story is: the Seismics aren't too bad of a deal in some situations, but it always helps if you have a couple thousand $$$ worth of gear feeding them to bring out their best.

well my wife just text me and told me the Seismic 15" has been delivered to my house , so I will be doing some testing tonight.
Hopefully it's in one piece and it lives up to my somewhat hopeful expectations.
thoughts are a coming shortly :)

Very interesting. Considering a 15" speakers roll-off compared to a 12". Could it be that the 15" cab has a lower cross-over frequency - letting the HF-driver deliver more of the guitar-frequency.
Just because my main consern in two-way monitors are that they split in the very center of the guitars most prominent area.

Your 2x12's are Stereo/Mono if I recall correctly... plug into just the left jack and you get mono to both drivers! :)

quick updates as I have not had too much time to a/b this thing yet.
the 15" is much more open sounding than the 12" and the on board power amp seems to be considerably louder than the 12" version

I'm sure the extra 50 watts doesn't hurt. How about delivery? any dings on the powered 15"?

thankfully this one arrived in one piece undamaged. I'll be able to really crank it up tomorrow so I'll have more to say tomorrow night after
I loosen this thing up a bit (the 12" sounded better after a few hours were on it, so I'm assuming this one will as well) and I run my 5 string bass through it for a while :)

thankfully this one arrived in one piece undamaged. I'll be able to really crank it up tomorrow so I'll have more to say tomorrow night after
I loosen this thing up a bit (the 12" sounded better after a few hours were on it, so I'm assuming this one will as well) and I run my 5 string bass through it for a while :)

Very Cool! looking forward to hearing your initial take once you've had a chance to turn it up.

Yes. And that's extremely useful for PA. More power (headroom) is available that way.

If I had another power amp, I would love to run both in stereo, just for the fun of it.

They are excellent cabs, and work very well with my Carvin DCM1540L.

Your 2x12's are Stereo/Mono if I recall correctly... plug into just the left jack and you get mono to both drivers! :)

Ok man what gives on the powered 15"? Did it sound or not?

Wondering about this myself...

I sent Nick a PM and he got back to me saying that he did like it. He also said that it had a little something going on in the mids that made it sound more guitar cab like. I' sure he will chime in and give the rest of the details but from what I gathered it sounds like the 15" might be the better choice.

Back
Top Bottom