My initial experiences with the Seismic SAX-12M-PW 12" powered coaxial monitor

As copied from the other Seismic thread (with a couple changes):

Well... I tried one of their FL monitors, but it went back today, as the SAX arrived. Sad to report that the SAX is defective. As the sound decays, there is a growl that shouldn't be there. So, the SAX goes back too. In order to keep me as a customer, they will have to either refund the full amount or send a replacement at no cost, without me having to pay for return shipping since I was sent a bad one. There is no visible damage to the box or the wedge, and it was packed adequately.

It was my mistake to purchase the FL. That was just terrible. It would work for some kids' garage band rehearsal.

The SAX shows promise, but I can't give an adequate report since it's not functioning properly. Right off the bat though, it's not as punchy or clear as the CLR. But, it also doesn't beat out the Xitone. One of the reasons I want to be able to use the SAX is because it can be pole mounted. There are plenty of times when I don't want to drag my CLRs out.

So, I now have to contact Seismic, again.

Maybe I just need to look into some kind of mount for my Xitone, since that's such a high quality wedge monitor.

So, all in all, kinda bummed. Time and money wasted.

bummer but I wouldn't worry, Brad so far has been very good to deal with, Jay had a defective unit and Fed Ex showed up at his house and picked it up :)
when I contacted them Ito return mine for an undamaged one I got a Fed ex label emailed to me with a Return authorization.
he will get you a working one.

As copied from the other Seismic thread (with a couple changes):

Well... I tried one of their FL monitors, but it went back today, as the SAX arrived. Sad to report that the SAX is defective. As the sound decays, there is a growl that shouldn't be there. So, the SAX goes back too. In order to keep me as a customer, they will have to either refund the full amount or send a replacement at no cost, without me having to pay for return shipping since I was sent a bad one. There is no visible damage to the box or the wedge, and it was packed adequately.

It was my mistake to purchase the FL. That was just terrible. It would work for some kids' garage band rehearsal.

The SAX shows promise, but I can't give an adequate report since it's not functioning properly. Right off the bat though, it's not as punchy or clear as the CLR. But, it also doesn't beat out the Xitone. One of the reasons I want to be able to use the SAX is because it can be pole mounted. There are plenty of times when I don't want to drag my CLRs out.

So, I now have to contact Seismic, again.

Maybe I just need to look into some kind of mount for my Xitone, since that's such a high quality wedge monitor.

So, all in all, kinda bummed. Time and money wasted.

What was the issue with yours again?

Seismic have been good so far. We'll see how much they give as a replacement for the FL. I paid return shipping for that, of course. I really shouldn't have bought it.

I want to make the SAX work. It should be good for my purposes. (Student recitals, general stage monitor when using my CLRs as a PA, less than ideal gig situations or just even smaller gigs, home use for my guitar students, etc.).

I'll contact them yet today. Hoping to send it back Monday, and have the replacement on Tues or Wed.

In comparison to the Xitone, the amp itself has less power, but I think the speaker can handle higher SPL. I'd have to check the specs of the Xitone.

mine has a dent in the corner and something is floating around inside of it, but it's fully functional. Their main tech is back on Monday and I'm going to speak to him about the differences between the 12 and 15" powered versions. I'm either sending mine back for a "clean " 12" or swapping it for a 15". I still like the way it sounds blended in with my CLR. I've got it on it's side (backline) with the bass and treble both up at about 2:00 and it sounds pretty nice and full. (my CLR is set like this as well).

****edit the whole chasis is moving around inside. I just took a bunch of pics and when I moved it it sounded like something big was moving around (Yikes)
still works though hahah
I'm going to take the grill off later tonight and see what is going on

Last edited:
Yikes.

Well, doesn't sound like the sturdiest build quality. Then again, sounds like it may have been dropped in shipping.

I'm really thinking about just installing a Top Hat in my Xitone and calling it good.

The Xitones are great. More cab like and punchy. I just adjust the output EQ to taste, and use the 3dB cut.

I laughed when I first got this and joking stated "it may fall apart on me on day 31"
well so far I'm right on target. I'm going to have them ship me another one on Monday and if that one has any issues I'm done.
I'm hoping it doesn't because I really like the way this thing sounds blended in with my CLR. It's not as open sounding
but it's almost "thicker" sounding at lower volumes. kind of like mixing a V30 with a greenback :)

Will require a hole saw, with a vacuum running to prevent dust from getting into the driver (thanks for the necessary tip, Mic!), some holes drilled, and should be fairly easy to install.

The damaged SAX will be going back, hopefully tomorrow. (The label they sent didn't authorize FedEx pickup, which I need.)

I'm keeping the Xitone. And, after yesterday's awesome demonstration of it for a student recital, it's perfect the way it is. Seriously, check out the Xitone cabs, folks.

They won't pay for FedEx pickup (it's a few dollars!). So, I'm paying that, and then I'm done with Seismic. There are other options for the items they carry.

I'm on the fence with these guys now. I had a long talk with Rusty over there yesterday and he
assured me that my replacement will arrive in one piece.
On one hand I really like the way this thing sounds mixed in stereo with my CLR, on the other
the QC and build quality has me a little concerned.
It's short money but it's still $300.00 bucks
RomanMTx you've been gigging with yours since December....any issues with yours yet?

I'm on the fence with these guys now. I had a long talk with Rusty over there yesterday and he
assured me that my replacement will arrive in one piece.
On one hand I really like the way this thing sounds mixed in stereo with my CLR, on the other
the QC and build quality has me a little concerned.
It's short money but it's still $300.00 bucks
RomanMTx you've been gigging with yours since December....any issues with yours yet?

No issues whatsoever on my side. Been gigging and rehearsing with it with not even a hiccup. And this is running it at well over 50-60% of full volume.

I'm really surprised you guys are having these issues... maybe just a bad streak? I know they're a budget brand, but still, no excuse for damaged products...

I've never dealt with their service representatives at all... are they decent at least?

the guys on the phone I've dealt with have all been very helpful and amenable to what ever I want to do.
I think I'm going to try a 15" and see if it can keep up with the CLR a little better (it's 50 watts stronger as well)
I was jamming last night with just the W/D set up and I missed that other "W" :lol hitting me in the face.
running this thing in stereo is definitely more gratifying than just mono out of one cab.
they need to learn how to pack their items better for shipping.

Are you still happy with it?

Seismic is and always has been a crap shoot in my experience. It's always 50/50 whether you get the goods intact, and then even when you do, whether the items are worth keeping. The latest round of 15" coaxial passives was good for me, as both cabinets were delivered unharmed and they appear to have no issues - certainly a benefit of a passive cabinet with no preamp/processing/amplifier electronics built in, thus fewer things to go wrong. The 15" coaxial passives may not be world beaters sonically, but they function fine for a $199 speaker box that can be run with an internal passive OR bi-amped active with a selectable switch. I'm not surprised at all, though, that you guys are having QC issues with your boxes. This is why I personally expressed very luke warm feelings about Seismic when the gushing started over their active coaxial wedges. A decent little product at a nice price...when they show up un-damaged...when they actually work properly...etc.

Good Luck!

the guys on the phone I've dealt with have all been very helpful and amenable to what ever I want to do.
I think I'm going to try a 15" and see if it can keep up with the CLR a little better (it's 50 watts stronger as well)
I was jamming last night with just the W/D set up and I missed that other "W" :lol hitting me in the face.
running this thing in stereo is definitely more gratifying than just mono out of one cab.
they need to learn how to pack their items better for shipping.

Are you still happy with it?

Once I have more disposable income available, I would like to go back to a CLR, especially now that a NEO is available... but for the time being, I'd like to keep the Axe-FX II as my premium investment and go budget on everything else (tried going budget with a 11 rack and it didn't do it for me at all)... and the SAX has kept my GAS down for the time being. If it wasn't doing it's job adequately, I'd be looking for other options and honestly I don't feel inclined to do so.

So after my rambling, to answer your question, yes, I am still happy with it... LOL

Back
Top Bottom