My initial experiences with the Seismic SAX-12M-PW 12" powered coaxial monitor

How would this compare to the Alto TS112A?...it's around the same price..

Sorry, I have never tried the Alto.
I'm not sure any of the guys who currently have a Seismic have tried an Alto (I'm pretty sure Nick has not, maybe Jim...but he's never mentioned it)

A local club has the TS115A powered speakers being used as stage wedges. Traditional non-coaxial design...I found them to be adequate, and a reasonable "budget" solution, performing decently well at that price point. Im guessing the 15" version is a little bit more capable of handling low frequencies than the 12" version. I've only heard vocals out if these speakers, though, no instruments. Again, part of the attraction with these Seismics is the small footprint/coaxial design, and price vs. performance.

I bought an Alto TS115A once but it came DOA from Musician's Friend so I never got to try it out... although I don't think it could have been much better than the EV ZLX, which were not as good as the Seismic Coaxial...

still digging this thing quite a bit.
I wish they'd restock I really want to try a 15" to hear the difference between the 2 :(
the difference in size between the Seismic 12(which is a compact 12") and the RCF/CLR is enough to make me question
whether or not the 15" version will get me closer to the CLR in clarity and "filling the room" for still 1/3 of the cost :) could be a win win!
then again maybe not but I'd like to check.

Last edited:
Yes, that would be interesting to hear someone with time on the active 15" coaxial, just to see if the active crossover/EQ circuitry is doing something magical that enhances the experience compared to the passive version.

BBN Jay took my passives for a spin and was underwhelmed by the tone on many levels (I agree by the way) and felt that they fatigue the ears pretty easily, though I don't think Jay had any issues for lack of volume output. I believe that Jay only employed the full range internal crossover, and didn't bi-amp the wedge. We both agree in the "bang for buck" department, that $199 for the passive coaxial is a good value, but again, the question is whether you can live with the sound you get from the box.

What I do like about the passive 15" cabs is that in addition to the built-in crossover, they can be actively bi-amped which allows the end user to provide whatever power amp scheme they wish according to the demands of their needs. In my case, with bass guitar, this is a big deal. I suspect the Seismic active cabinets, like many active cabinets in the pro-sumer market, would be slightly underpowerd and/or under spec'd in the 80hz and below range, which is critical to "bass heavy" applications that I use. From my recent experiences, bi-amping the 15" passives with ample power allows me to not want for headroom, which is more often than not the case with FR speakers which provide their own internal amp. It's less convenient having to provide the amp/EQ, but definitely worth it for applications where it is needed. And since the 15" cabinet doesn't seem to be prone to "farting out" easily at high SPL, this is an important feature. I'm glad I don't need to custom wire up a box to get crossover internal/external functionality out of them. You don't usually find this in such an inexpensive speaker.

kmanick, if you ever do get your hands on the active 15" cabs, let me know and we can do a shootout.

Yes, that would be interesting to hear someone with time on the active 15" coaxial, just to see if the active crossover/EQ circuitry is doing something magical that enhances the experience compared to the passive version.

BBN Jay took my passives for a spin and was underwhelmed by the tone on many levels (I agree by the way) and felt that they fatigue the ears pretty easily, though I don't think Jay had any issues for lack of volume output. I believe that Jay only employed the full range internal crossover, and didn't bi-amp the wedge. We both agree in the "bang for buck" department, that $199 for the passive coaxial is a good value, but again, the question is whether you can live with the sound you get from the box.

What I do like about the passive 15" cabs is that in addition to the built-in crossover, they can be actively bi-amped which allows the end user to provide whatever power amp scheme they wish according to the demands of their needs. In my case, with bass guitar, this is a big deal. I suspect the Seismic active cabinets, like many active cabinets in the pro-sumer market, would be slightly underpowerd and/or under spec'd in the 80hz and below range, which is critical to "bass heavy" applications that I use. From my recent experiences, bi-amping the 15" passives with ample power allows me to not want for headroom, which is more often than not the case with FR speakers which provide their own internal amp. It's less convenient having to provide the amp/EQ, but definitely worth it for applications where it is needed. And since the 15" cabinet doesn't seem to be prone to "farting out" easily at high SPL, this is an important feature. I'm glad I don't need to custom wire up a box to get crossover internal/external functionality out of them. You don't usually find this in such an inexpensive speaker.

kmanick, if you ever do get your hands on the active 15" cabs, let me know and we can do a shootout.

The people that tried the passive versions, did they mention what poweramp was used? I'm wondering how the 12" or 15" passives might sound with a Matrix GT1000FX...

My initial tests were specific to bass guitar, with a GK 1001RBII bass head which is a biamp head, internal crossover at 5k. I would hardly classify this as comprehensive or conclusive in general, since my primary purpose was to simply determine whether these cabinets could satisfy my demands for low-end capacity without pooping out. The results were positive, and didn't sound awful, all things considered. I also tried them with the internal crossover engaged (passive, non-biamp) powered with one side of an old Carver PM350 power amp, running vocals, drum machine (kick drum) and bass guitar (via modeler) through them. They worked....they were loud. Might make a good drum wedge.

My next investigation will be with a Crown xti 4002 power amp, in bi-amp mode, and with the crossover set more realistically for a PA speaker of this type, around 1.2khz-2kz, and with the ability to apply different crossover filter types, compression, and overall EQ to the speaker via Crown's DSP software. In addition, I'm replacing the stock Seismic 15" coaxial with the Ciare NDCX15-2.1 coaxial that I have kicking around from a previous "small box" cabinet I used to use. This should be a significant improvement tonally.

If you were to use these with the Matrix amp, you'd either have to use them with the cabinet's internal crossover, or employ an external crossover and use one channel of the Matrix for lows, one channel for highs, and then wire up a specific cable that would terminate in a Neutrik 4 pin speak-on connector, which is standard for biamp connection via a single connector. Bridge mono, not bi-amped, would guarantee the most headroom, but don't get carried away if you do this as you can fry things.

My initial tests were specific to bass guitar, with a GK 1001RBII bass head which is a biamp head, internal crossover at 5k. I would hardly classify this as comprehensive or conclusive in general, since my primary purpose was to simply determine whether these cabinets could satisfy my demands for low-end capacity without pooping out. The results were positive, and didn't sound awful, all things considered. I also tried them with the internal crossover engaged (passive, non-biamp) powered with one side of an old Carver PM350 power amp, running vocals, drum machine (kick drum) and bass guitar (via modeler) through them. They worked....they were loud. Might make a good drum wedge.

My next investigation will be with a Crown xti 4002 power amp, in bi-amp mode, and with the crossover set more realistically for a PA speaker of this type, around 1.2khz-2kz, and with the ability to apply different crossover filter types, compression, and overall EQ to the speaker via Crown's DSP software. In addition, I'm replacing the stock Seismic 15" coaxial with the Ciare NDCX15-2.1 coaxial that I have kicking around from a previous "small box" cabinet I used to use. This should be a significant improvement tonally.

If you were to use these with the Matrix amp, you'd either have to use them with the cabinet's internal crossover, or employ an external crossover and use one channel of the Matrix for lows, one channel for highs, and then wire up a specific cable that would terminate in a Neutrik 4 pin speak-on connector, which is standard for biamp connection via a single connector. Bridge mono, not bi-amped, would guarantee the most headroom, but don't get carried away if you do this as you can fry things.

Thanks for the response! I don't even have a Matrix now but would consider it if my active 12" craps out on me... having the matrix and a couple of passives would probably be more reliable in that case.

It'd be nice to see how other drivers behave in this box. Once they're back in stock I might get another active and install an eminence coax driver and crossover to see if it sounds better...

Jim, your comments on my audition of the 15's is accurate.
Underwhelmed......but good bang for the buck.

I powered the passive 15" with Crown K2.
I've never directly compared to the Matrix, but I have been told by another user (that had both), that they were very similar. This user actually perferred the K2.
So I'd like to think that the Amp was doing the Seismic justice.

Sorry, I have never tried the Alto.
I'm not sure any of the guys who currently have a Seismic have tried an Alto (I'm pretty sure Nick has not, maybe Jim...but he's never mentioned it)

Nope I have not
so far I've tried
CLR
RCF
Mackie HD1221
Atomic wedge (the originals)
Xitone passive 12"
Seismic SAX-12

Now Seismic SAX-12M-PW is back in stock. I have been waiting for this Seismic and atomic clr. It is funny that I received an email from Tom yesterday and I ordered clr already. Either one should be good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copied from a post I made in another Seismic thread:

"I wound up purchasing the FL-12MP-PW. I need time to dial it in (it literally just arrived), but it will suffice. I will test it at higher volume this weekend at a student recital.

Pales in comparison to the Xitone, for sure. For one thing, Xitone cabs are extraordinarily durable, with the Line X coating.

It's no comparison at all to a CLR.

I would like to test the SAX-12M-PW 12 at some point, as they seem to be a little closer in design to the CLR, but I decided to just go with something a little cheaper for now (you know, with having just purchased CLRs and all... LOL!).

I will say that Xitone cabs are awesome. They are a worthwhile investment. It's pretty clear, based some of the posts I see here, that CLRs aren't for everyone. I absolutely love mine, and they will simplify my gear because I feel confident using them as studio monitors.

But, I still say that the Xitones are another excellent option that will work better for some people."

I pulled the trigger today on a "SAX-15-PW"...should be here Thursday! I'll be using it to replace a Crate 50W tube combo for my on stage back-line.
The house provides a JBL for my front wedge, so I can send L/R outs and soak it in.:pride:
I had a pair of SMA -10 -powered wedges, sold them to finance the FXII. I'll post my results after playing church SUnday and an outdoor gig on the 1st.

I pulled the trigger today on a "SAX-15-PW"...should be here Thursday! I'll be using it to replace a Crate 50W tube combo for my on stage back-line.
The house provides a JBL for my front wedge, so I can send L/R outs and soak it in.:pride:
I had a pair of SMA -10 -powered wedges, sold them to finance the FXII. I'll post my results after playing church SUnday and an outdoor gig on the 1st.

I'm very interested to see what you think of the 15" powered version, jus tremember t o turn up the bass/treble controls past noon (which is actually zero)
or you will be immensely ....underwhelmed. :)

Here's my question about the Seismic stuff: Is the wattage rating reliable? I'm not so sure. Thinking about installing a better driver, but I may just send back the FL-12.

Curious to hear more about the SAX powered wedges, particularly the 15". I may just have to go for it.

I'm very interested to see what you think of the 15" powered version, jus tremember t o turn up the bass/treble controls past noon (which is actually zero)
or you will be immensely ....underwhelmed. :)

Are you basing that on the result you guys had with the 12" version?

Done. FL goes back and SAX 12" should be here Friday. Couldn't get much out of the FL.

We'll see how this stacks up against the Xitone with Matrix GM50. That is a killer wedge! It really shines with the new firmware.

Done. FL goes back and SAX 12" should be here Friday. Couldn't get much out of the FL.

We'll see how this stacks up against the Xitone with Matrix GM50. That is a killer wedge! It really shines with the new firmware.
I had a xitone here for a bit (a pair actually) but they were passive, I ran them with my Fryette 2/50/2, I liked them.
I wish I had them here now so I could A/B them against the seismic, but then again , you'll be able to do that for us now :)

The Xitone passives are fantastic too. Mine are 2x12s though. so they're big and heavy. They work very well for PA speakers and are killer for reproducing the Axe FX. One that's really cool with them is that one wedge can be used either in mono or stereo. That is a nice option. For reference sake, I have a Carvin DCM1540L to use with my passives.

I have mainly been using a pair of the high end Adam P11A studio monitors at home. No longer. The CLRs will cover everything. The Adams are the best studio monitors I've ever had the privilege of using. But, they are "nicer" or tamer; warmer and a bit rounder than the CLRs (CLRs are more honest, I think, even though they don't do sub bass). I still have them, so I should test the new firmware with them.

The SAX will be used for my students at home (with a Fender Mustang Floor, which is my backup for the Axe FX at the moment); for use a stage monitor at my student recitals; pit gigs; and any gig where I would fear for the life of my CLRs. But only if it can compare at all to the Xitone (and I am very skeptical), of course. I'm mostly looking to simplify my gear, and I just don't need something in the price range of my Xitone active wedge for these purposes. Anyone who is looking to step up will get a great deal on some awesome gear.

On a side note: really, really hoping for an Axe FX Floor in the near future. Although this Studio Devil/Atomic modeler thing might be pretty cool. (Off-topic. Sorry)

Back
Top Bottom