My initial experiences with the Seismic SAX-12M-PW 12" powered coaxial monitor

RomanMtz

A little history first:

I originally started using the Axe-FX with a Matrix GT800FX + 2x12" Buzzbomb. The set up sounded very good but I felt there wasn't much versatility without being able to switch Cab sims around.

After a while of waiting for a CLR, I bought a passive Xitone wedge to use with the Matrix to endure the wait. Once I got the CLR, I compared both and the CLR edged the Xitone just enough for me to keep the CLR. It was the perfect solution for me at that time... compact, powered, and versatile FRFR. My only complaints were maybe the weak paint (chips VERY easily) and the weight... it's not light (the Neo version probably fixes that).

Why did I sell the CLR then?

I originally planned to use the CLR for live shows as a personal wedge but that got thrown out the window because the dispersion on this thing is so good, that I was interfering with my other bandmates' monitor mixes. I tried it as a back end on a pole next and worked awesome... sounded like a 4x12" behind me, but then I had to get in a volume war with my bassist... so now I just run direct into the PA and have a standard monitor for both my guitar and voice.

I couldn't justify keeping a $1,000 speaker for just rehearsals so I decided to downgrade and look for a budget solution.

This is when I came across the Seismic... Powered 12 Inch Coaxial Floor / Studio / Stage Monitor | Compact | Active Pro Audio 12 Inch Coaxial Speaker Monitor with Titanium Compression Horn Driver | 250 Watts RMS

I said, why not? So I bought one and a 12" EV ZLX as well to compare. It only took me one day to decide on keeping the Seismic.

It's not that I didn't like the ZLX, it sounded good, but the seismic sounded better, more balanced... at least for my application which is 90% high gain heavy metal (FAS Modern model).

The ZLX sounded a little more metallic, high end was more shrill... I played around with the EQ settings and found the POLE and MUSIC settings to give a nice low end thump (plus I also had it on a pole). Other EQ settings were too nasally and thin sounding.

That's another thing... the Seismic was easier to EQ... you don't have to navigate menus and such. Just raised the low and high a little and it sounded killer compared to both at 0.

I have used the Seismic for both rehearsals and a show (propped up on a pole) now and it's held up very well. At both these settings I have used the speaker at about 60% of the total volume and I could hear myself without any problems, even over my bandmate's 4x12" powered by a Matrix GT1000. The poweramp seems to be pretty sturdy (hasn't crapped out on me yet), the speakers covering is a lot more resistant than the CLR's and the sound is very good, not as good as the CLR, but not bad at all.

I will say that it is almost as heavy and that the dispersion is not nearly as good as the CLR, but that kind of works to my advantage for my situation.

It's only been about a month, so reliability is still being tested. What I can say is that sound-wise, it's a very good deal for the price. My next experiment will be getting another and putting an Eminence Beta 12CX coaxial driver in there to compare the stock driver... it'd be interesting to see that result.

Anyway a video is probably a lot more descriptive, so here it is... I'm in the red playing Master of Puppets through the Seismic and some FOH. The intro is just me so you can recognize the tone of just the Seismic... you be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZfdCZiMggQ How do I embed the video here?!

Last edited:
Can you talk about how the xitone compares to the Seismic audio and do you feel like you are losing much compared to the CLR?

Can you talk about how the xitone compares to the Seismic audio and do you feel like you are losing much compared to the CLR?

I used the Xitone a while back... almost a year. What I can comment on the xitone is that it is very close to the CLR soundwise at lower volumes although the CLR edged it out on clarity and sound quality. The xitone compared to the CLR sounded a little bit boxier (maybe correctable with EQ, but apples to apples the CLR sounded better), it required more power to sound as loud as the CLR (although this might be more the GT800FX's fault) and I liked the powered speaker setup compared to an extra slot taken up in my rack case for the Matrix.

A more accurate comparison would be Seismic vs. CLR. In my opinion, the Seismic does about 75-80% of what the CLR can do soundwise (up until now without considering reliability) but at a fraction of the price. The CLR has a lot better dispersion if that it what you are looking for (this actually worked against me in my situation), the highs are smoother and it is overall clearer. The Seismic however is a good bang for the buck. At least for the type of music I play it has made me not want to look back, especially at this price.

Would I consider another CLR in the future? Sure... if I had money to burn I'd go for the NEO cab version which addresses my two complaints, weight and the speaker covering (I believe the cab uses tolex).

so I had a little email Exchange with someone over at the sight that carries these and we have a 30 day window to return it minus shipping if we don't like it.
Plus right now there is a holiday coupon so this just cost me $299.00 free shipping, so I pulled the trigger
Jay,Pete?
Can you say FRFR Shoot out round 2? :)
for home use (which is what I'm going to do with this) a poor mans CLR may be just the ticket for someone in my shoes.

Looking forward to your comments.

Maybe I should buy one before word gets out on these.

These actually might work for my home stereo needs as well.

so I had a little email Exchange with someone over at the sight that carries these and we have a 30 day window to return it minus shipping if we don't like it.
Plus right now there is a holiday coupon so this just cost me $299.00 free shipping, so I pulled the trigger
Jay,Pete?
Can you say FRFR Shoot out round 2? :)
for home use (which is what I'm going to do with this) a poor mans CLR may be just the ticket for someone in my shoes.

Just an FYI, the amp on the back has a "LINE" and "MIC" selector switch and a "BOOST" "FLAT" "CUT" switch (For bass response adjustment... I guess equivalent to the CLRs switch for when you want to use it on the floor or on a pole) and two EQ knobs (Treble and Bass) in the back.

Do not try "MIC" with a guitar... almost blew out my speaker and ears... LOL. I have mine propped up on a pole and use the "FLAT" setting with both Treble and Bass at around 1 o'clock (12 is flat) and it sounds very good to me.

Reactions: LVC
Just an FYI, the amp on the back has a "LINE" and "MIC" selector switch and a "BOOST" "FLAT" "CUT" switch (For bass response adjustment... I guess equivalent to the CLRs switch for when you want to use it on the floor or on a pole) and two EQ knobs (Treble and Bass) in the back.

Do not try "MIC" with a guitar... almost blew out my speaker and ears... LOL. I have mine propped up on a pole and use the "FLAT" setting with both Treble and Bass at around 1 o'clock (12 is flat) and it sounds very good to me.

How does it sound for playing music -- MP3 etc?

Haven't really tried it with music yet... only the Axe...

would be great to know this --

would like it to perform double duty in my home office.

specs look pretty good especially for home use -- I am thinking of ordering two (if it sounds good with programmed music).

MODEL SAX-12M-PW
CONTENTSPowered 12" 2-Way Coaxial Floor/Stage Monitor
CONDITION New
APPLICATION PA Floor Monitor / Live Sound / Stage / Studio
ACTIVE/PASSIVE Active
WOOFER 12" Coaxial Loudspeaker
WOOFER SPECS LF: 70 oz Magnet and 3" Voice Coil
HF: 30 oz Magnet and 1.75" Voice Coil
POWER 250 Watts RMS; 500 Watts Peak
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 60 Hz - 20k Hz
SENSITIVITY 96 dB
SPL115 dB
CONNECTORSInput - XLR / 1/4 Inch Combo Jack, RCA, 3.5mm
Output - XLR Male Output
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 Ohms
PORTS Yes
GRILL Full Metal Grill with acoustic foam backing
HANDLESDiscreet Recessed Pocket
COVERING Black Painted Texture
ENCLOSURE 7 Ply Birch Plywood
POLE MOUNT Yes - Comes with Standard Top Hat
and Threaded Pole Mount
HEIGHT 16.25"
WIDTH 16.75"
DEPTH 14.25"
WEIGHT 44.8 lbs per Cabinet
FEATURESClass AB Amplifier with Cooling Fan
Mic / Line Switch
Boost / Flat / Cut Switch
Power Switch
Master Volume Control
2 Band Equalizer
-Bass
-Treble
Can be Daisy Chained
WARRANTYOne Year Warranty

Last edited:
I'm going out of town tomorrow, but I can certainly compare it to my home theater speakers when I get back.

BTW, how do I embed the youtube video to the OP? Can someone help me with that please?

Looking forward to your comments.

Maybe I should buy one before word gets out on these.

These actually might work for my home stereo needs as well.

Of course, nothing says "quality" like the Seismic brand name. I've gotten stuff from them before - cables and misc parts - but I've never been under the impression that their PA speakers deliver performance that exceeds their price point. Of course, it would be nice if that were the case, and for Seismic, that would be something of an anomaly in my experience. The company has pretty good customer service. I purchased a pair of lightweight compact 4x8 cabinets for yucks on sale, and returned them after a few days.

OTOH, if these cabinets sound at all reasonable and can hold together at loud volumes and road abuse, then that's a great price, comparable to Alto, but without the same track record in the $300+/- range. I'll be following how this shakes out.

OTOH, if these cabinets sound at all reasonable and can hold together at loud volumes and road abuse, then that's a great price, comparable to Alto, but without the same track record in the $300+/- range. I'll be following how this shakes out.

If I get them they will be mounted on poles never to be moved from my home office.

As long as they sound good and can handle the occasional coating of dust -- I am in!

Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow :)
will post initial thoughts tomorrow night, I'm thinking maybe I should've ordered a pair to test
to get a better idea :numbness:
Oh well , I'll start with one

Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow :)
will post initial thoughts tomorrow night, I'm thinking maybe I should've ordered a pair to test
to get a better idea :numbness:
Oh well , I'll start with one

Wow that's fast for Xmas shipping.

but I've never been under the impression that their PA speakers deliver performance that exceeds their price point.

Well put Jim.

I'm hopeful and skeptical as well. For the price (and return policy) it is certainly worth a listen. And Nick was nice enough to be the Boston area guinea pig.

For me, I'm thinking that this may be a great front vocal/guitar wedge.
If the Axe sounds 'good' through it, then it's a great option for short money. Paired with an RCF behind me on a pole could be a great 'tone sandwich'.

Back
Top Bottom