My Humbling V5.00 Experience

quonsar

Power User
I finally had a free evening and the AxeEdit update came out, so I eagerly prepared to dial in my favorite presets. I booted into Win7, installed the new AxeEdit and went to work. I loaded my goto Top Boost preset, shifted the amp momentarily to reset the advanced parameters and immediately noted a richness and "chewiness" in the tone I hadn't known previously. This is before touching any of the new parameters!

I tried some small changes to drive and master, tweaked some treble and high cut, and spent a considerable amount of time balancing the Tube Drive that I use to add just the right touch of grit to the basic clean. When I was finally satisfied I moved on to the Dynamics page.

I humped the dynamics knob up to 50% and back numerous times, finally deciding that, at least for the Top Boost, I preferred the default setting. Flipping over to the cab block I dialed up the motor drive, wow. I played with it a while before settling on a spot I liked. A small adjustment to proximity made it perfect. For the Top Boost, I found the new parameter effects to be subtle but solid improvements.

Moving on to FAS Modern I found the dynamics and speaker motor provided a much greater impact on tone and feel than with the clean amp. Oh, the bloom! The snarl! Snap and bite! YES! YES! MORE! DON'T STOP!!!

Finally happy with my first go at things, I dumped out my presets to disk, tidied up, and made a full backup of my Win7 partition to my external drive. And went to bed.

Just before falling asleep I sat up suddenly, leaped out of bed, turned the AxeFx on and brought up the firmware window. Yup. 4.01.

I had neglected to actually install the damn firmware update.

I. Am. An. Idiot. :eek:ops

I finally had a free evening and the AxeEdit update came out, so I eagerly prepared to dial in my favorite presets. I booted into Win7, installed the new AxeEdit and went to work. I loaded my goto Top Boost preset, shifted the amp momentarily to reset the advanced parameters and immediately noted a richness and "chewiness" in the tone I hadn't known previously. This is before touching any of the new parameters!

I tried some small changes to drive and master, tweaked some treble and high cut, and spent a considerable amount of time balancing the Tube Drive that I use to add just the right touch of grit to the basic clean. When I was finally satisfied I moved on to the Dynamics page.

I humped the dynamics knob up to 50% and back numerous times, finally deciding that, at least for the Top Boost, I preferred the default setting. Flipping over to the cab block I dialed up the motor drive, wow. I played with it a while before settling on a spot I liked. A small adjustment to proximity made it perfect. For the Top Boost, I found the new parameter effects to be subtle but solid improvements.

Moving on to FAS Modern I found the dynamics and speaker motor provided a much greater impact on tone and feel than with the clean amp. Oh, the bloom! The snarl! Snap and bite! YES! YES! MORE! DON'T STOP!!!

Finally happy with my first go at things, I dumped out my presets to disk, tidied up, and made a full backup of my Win7 partition to my external drive. And went to bed.

Just before falling asleep I sat up suddenly, leaped out of bed, turned the AxeFx on and brought up the firmware window. Yup. 4.01.

I had neglected to actually install the damn firmware update.

I. Am. An. Idiot. :eek:ops

don't feel too bad, it's just your brain doing what you want it to do. :)

I had some similar incident: I worked on a clean patch. Tweaking the tone controls. Liked it. Tweaking a bit more. Liked it more. 10 minutes later... tweaking, saw the bypass button blinking. Realising that its all in my head. Ouch!

I've often done that in Photoshop, thinking you've got hold of a certain slider and are moving it, but you aren't. Well, not *that* bad actually! ;) :p

Just wait until you actually are on v5. You'll love it. I guess the thread title should have been "My Humbling Imaginary V5.00 Experience." 8)

I've long suspected that under the hood, what's in the II is the same thing that was in the Ultra. A first gen Pod.

Back
Top Bottom