My hottest guitars don't hit the red

Did you check the I/O first tab? the input control is there. Also with the amp sim input trims defaulted at 1.0 things can be changed there as well. I have had a lot of success with that parameter with geting a good feel and geting rid of a lot of fizz.

Could you elaborate on fizz section??

I'm starting to think maybe I'm doing something wrong... most of my guitars tickle the reds at less than 30% on the inst. input level.

I experience the same thing. I wouldn't classify it as a problem, just sort of strange.

For those who easily push into the red - what do you attribute this to? Guitar, pickups, how the Axe is setup, something else? I'll need to check my I/O settings!

Two things.

Is your input set up as left only or left and right sum

Go to the utility menu and test the LEDs. My ex had a burned-out LED that's why my never hit the red before

I experience the same thing. I wouldn't classify it as a problem, just sort of strange.

For those who easily push into the red - what do you attribute this to? Guitar, pickups, how the Axe is setup, something else? I'll need to check my I/O settings!

Its how the axe is setup. Its simply the I/O settings. Both my guitars hit red easily when I switched to Left only. One guitar has active emgs and the other a JB/59 setup. Before switching to Left only I had to set up really high like 100%.
Also you can tell if your in left only if you look at the lights that light up when you hit a string. If both l and r lights are on you need to check your settings.

Its how the axe is setup. Its simply the I/O settings. Both my guitars hit red easily when I switched to Left only. One guitar has active emgs and the other a JB/59 setup. Before switching to Left only I had to set up really high like 100%.
Also you can tell if your in left only if you look at the lights that light up when you hit a string. If both l and r lights are on you need to check your settings.

Yeah, I just checked and it is set to left only. I guess it's just my preference for pickups that are not too hot. Either way, it's not really an issue.

One of my 5 guitars barely tickles the reds at 100% left input only. Not an issue. Set your I/O Instr In to tickle red for your hottest guitar an you are go to go IMHO.

My ESP 8 string with EMGs and my Ibanez 5 string bass with actives are my two weakest guitars, output wise. They're in the same realm as the singles on my Yamaha strat copy. I have to work to get these in the red.

My custom with dimarzio Evolution 1's is constantly in the red, and my Parker with "P1/2" pickups is in the red quite often.

This reflects how they behave with real amps as well. They all sound awesome with the axe!

i've never gotten close to hitting red with any of my guitars....from single coil strats/tele's to vintage hb's to sd jb/59's to ibanez with higher output hb's. i have mine set to left only and can turn all the input controls to 100

I wait to play my Axe Fx 2 after I turn it on for about 15 min to make sure the virtual tubes are warmed up before I play.The difference is increíble! I think it has to do with the virtual filament being hot enough to work properly.

You also have to be careful not to turn the input all the way up cuz you'll actually see virtual smoke coming out of the back! If that happens you'll have to probably replace the virtually tranny and most likely the virtual tubes and it could be expensive to buy a matched pair or Quartet( depending on the amp) of virtual tubes!

Curious-Is this about a light show or the "sound". Not trying to be a smart ass but isn't the sound the important thing? I never even look at the lights. When I do I never see red at all-4 years now Std to Ultra to II. The hottest Pups I have I think are my Fralin Vintage hots and they are close, but no red.

But.....................................the sound is fabulous. Once again- a disclaimer of sorts- I am in a Studio enviorment only.

there's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

to sum up before i get long-winded, it really doesn't matter if you are not hitting the red lights on the input meter. the Axe-FX II input settings only optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio.

from the wiki: "Note that the Input Level setting DOES NOT AFFECT GAIN, It optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio only. This is different from the Axe-Fx Standard/Ultra."

the OP says he "felt something missing" from his tone, but the Input settings will not contribute to that "something missing." only extreme high or low settings of the input gain will affect actual guitar tone with the Axe-FX II, and by extreme i mean the input lights barely lighting up at all or the red light on constantly. otherwise there is a HUGE useable range of the input adjustment. in my opinion, as long as the 2nd light is always lighting up as you play, there will be no difference in tone between that and the 3rd light always lighting up as you play.

Input trim does not affect the gain at the A/D conversion level so does not have any effect on the input lights.

sorry but part of this is absolutely incorrect. the input levels set in the I/O menu definitely have an effect on the input lights. that's exactly what those input lights are measuring.

I do use Noise Gates on most presets, so I'll try disabling those and see if there's any difference.

noise gates have nothing to do with the input level/lights never reaching red. the noise gates come after the input stage and input meters. it is possible that the noise gates are affecting your tone in a negative way though, but again nothing to do with input levels. not sure if the difference you referred to was a difference in overall tone or a difference with the input meters.

just echoing that this statement is not correct at all.

hard to say, as i only have duplicates of the same guitars (Music Man Petrucci models). on all my guitars, my input gain is roughly at 30%. around 40% the red input meter light comes on when strumming hard, then at about 60% it's on when playing medium/hard. yet, even at 100%, the tone is mostly unaffected, as the red light indicates -6dB (so 6 away from clipping).

some people have heard a difference in tone when they crank the input volume to 100% and cause the red light to come on all the time. what's happening is that the Axe-FX II is is actually starting to compress the input signal to help prevent input clipping. this compression may be mistaken for "better tone" but is fundamentally incorrect. if you want compression, use the Compressor effects blocks available, don't ruin your gain staging.

this whole conversation is only for the Axe-FX II - if you are thinking of or comparing to the Ultra or Standard, the input gain was very different and could affect actual gain/tone levels.

it has been prescribed that we should set our input level for our loudest guitar for the best signal to noise ratio, then leave it set that way and all other guitars should sound just as great. with a real guitar amp, you can't adjust this anyway.

if you feel that there is a substantial tone difference among different guitars and input level settings, i guess it's something you'll have to remedy and deal with. i don't have the solution. many people don't experience any differences or problems.

however, regarding guitars never making the red input light come on, it is not an issue by design and will not affect your experience creating tones with the Axe-FX II. setting your input to 100% and never clipping is ok by design.

Les Paul have what :) ?

Have you ever tried a strat with 50's style pickups ?

Les Paul's have considerably low output pickups. My LPs with BurstBucker Pros just tickle the red at 100%. My EBMM guitars (JPXI and Albert Lee HH) both have hotter pups, and I have to back down the input level to 60% or below.

sorry but part of this is absolutely incorrect. the input levels set in the I/O menu definitely have an effect on the input lights. that's exactly what those input lights are measuring.

What I said is correct. I said input trim, which is located in the amp block, not the input level located in the I/O menu, as the OP mentioned that their input trim in the amp block was at default. This does not affect the gain at the A/D conversion level or have any effect on the input lights.

Back
Top Bottom