my headphones plugging failure

Godam

Just wanted to share this to warn someone who would use headphones like me until today.

I'm two months with III which is my first modeler. When it came I tried it into FX return of Mesa Mark Five 25 with a custom 2x10 cab and felt I need to get an FRFR solution to experience the axe versatility. I'm still waiting the ordered FRFR wedge and I'm using only headphones these two month.

Until today I used Marshal Major wired headphones through a Planet Waves TRS 1/8" to TRS 1/4" adapter and was quite happy with them except one thing that made me a bit unsatisfied: almost every factory preset sounded too ambient, i.e. too much reverb to my ears, so that I usually needed to switch reverb off or reduce the mix level. I was also a bit surprised when downloaded someones preset from axe-exchange which also sounded quite different from the demo/video (e.g. Leon's presets).

Today I bought Sennheiser HD 650 which have 1/4" jack so I don't need to use any adapter and plugged them. And ... WOW! Everything sounds different and definitely sounds as meant to be: the reverb sounds nice to my taste in every factory preset, and moreover the amps are now so distinct, different, clear, etc.
The reason is now obvious to me: the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter I have is TRS to TRS, while Marshall's headphones have a TRRS jack with a microphone. In this combination of TRRS inserted to TRS slot it seems the stereo sound is partially summarized in a weird way, in phase or out of phase depending on panning etc., but I definitely heard a stereo sound, not simply right or left.

Now I'm rediscovering the AXE III for the second time after two months of fun! Please be careful with phone/computer optimized headphones and TRS/TRRS adapters and don't repeat my stupid mistake.

Back
Top Bottom