My go to patch template/max CPU - feedback welcome

Tplesko

Inspired
Hi all, I have been shy to post patches because, frankly, I don't feel I have a very good ear or talent for making them. I am trying to create a template that accomplishes these goals. This is as best I have come up with and welcome feedback or ideas on how to improve it.

1) 3 scenes for lower gain (scene 1), medium or high gain (scene 2), and a solo patch (scene 3)
2) Parallel routing for modulating effects
3) Maximize CPU and capability (as many effects as possible - very important)
4) Shimmer/synth pad effect (parallel multi delay connected to EXP2) for some song endings and beginning (just got this low-CPU trick from Simeon and the Admin! Thanks!)
5) Wah always on EXP 1
6) Simple and easy to use for the player (me) - VERY important
7) I run direct to the PA
8) FX loop so that I can run a powered monitor if the house PA cant give me enough of my guitar (flexible system)
9) Looper for practice (after amp/cab but before the effects. I basically only use it to record a backing track to solo over while practicing).

My plan is to get one good template and then switch out amps and cabs so that I can have a package of ~5 or so go-to patches for most of our songs (2 bands - one is classic rock/pop and one is more 90s). I will have another 8-10 song-specific patches.

I've incorporated a lot of tips n tricks I have learned here and used some blocks that have been shared. I truly welcome feedback, especially on how to improve it.

Thanks and cheers to the best user community in music!

-Todd

Attachments

• Mesa Template.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 37
i had a look

wah needs to be in series, not in parallel
modulation fx are really supposed to be run in series
the plex shift is in parallel, so set the mix at 100% and connect your external to input gain
i wouldn't use a spring reverb for a modern sound. go with a plate or the studio, or if you just want a touch of ambience, use one of the Rec Studio ones
the pitch detune is set at such a low mix level and small amount of detune, it's not really doing anything
scene 3 doesn't really have enough gain for lead, but that might just be down to my medium output pickups
the 40ms delay is a bit weird...why?
in the Y state, the delay ratio is set a bit too low - try 98% - you'll get width, but the delays won't separate like they do at 90%
the optical compressor is set much too hard - i'm getting over 12db of compression with my single coils. aim for about 3db

tip - instead of using one amp type and trying to squeeze three sounds out of it, try using USA clean for the clean tone in X and the IIc in Y. you'll be able to get something a bit more sparkly. i use it with factory 19 (TX Star)

btw - you're using user cabs, but you don't say which ones

ps - have you tried any of the triaxis lead modes? they're super easy to dial in...i love lead 2 red for a really chunky rhythm tone (tip - leave pres at 5 and turn bright down to about -3) sounds good for lead too. much easier to dial in than the IIc, imo. i have the graphic set to +5, +3, -6, +4, +2

Last edited:
Hi Simeon, thank you SO much for the reply. I always value your opinion. Regarding the cab, my apologies for not including it as a amp/cab bundle. I am not at home so I cannot be exact, but it's essentially a Mesa 4x12 that I am using. Nothing overly fancy.

I liked this patch because it is versatile and sounds good to my ears, but I will experiment with your comments.

- I was always led to believe that MOD and WAH effects should be run in parallel - why is in series better?

- Because I use the FX loop to send to out 2 and allow me to use a monitor separate from whatever the house gives me, won't I run out of block space if I puts all of these in series? How can I get around that?

- Agree on the pitch block, it is not doing much.

- 40 ms Delay - I saw once when I have me Axe2 that someone recommended to always place a delay with 40 ms to fatten the sound. I thought it sounded good, so I add that to most patches in X, and then something more in Y for solos. Thanks for the advice on improving my solo delay. I will try it.

- Plex shift - I thought I had that at 100% because it is in parallel. I will fix that, my mistake.

- Will change the Compressor also. Thanks for the advice.

Also thanks for the advice on amps. I tend to stay with both what I know and like and for the cover tunes I play so I have a Mesa that is my primary (I've always liked the Mesa's thru Fractal), a Plexi, a Friedman, etc. I typically have used the Fenders for my cleans.

If you don't mind, I am going to experiment with your suggestions and then repost. I value your opinion, as always.

Thanks man!

-Todd

- I was always led to believe that MOD and WAH effects should be run in parallel - why is in series better?

- Because I use the FX loop to send to out 2 and allow me to use a monitor separate from whatever the house gives me, won't I run out of block space if I puts all of these in series? How can I get around that?

you were misinformed about the wah and mod blocks

if you need more grid space, use the send block at the end of the row and then start a new row with the return block at the beginning. this will take the signal from the first row to the second

OK thanks again - in which cases (if any) would you wish to run an effect in parallel? Or, better asked, which effects are best to run in parallel?

FWIW, i also like to use a touch of 40-60 ms delay to thicken the tone.

OK thanks again - in which cases (if any) would you wish to run an effect in parallel? Or, better asked, which effects are best to run in parallel?
Unless you are trying to do something specific. There is no sonic advantage.

Parallel routing allows you to process the parallel chain(s) differently.
Examples......
  • Chorus/Phaser/Flanger/Tremolo/Auto-Panning/Filter Sweep on Delay/Reverb trails only
  • Chorus/Phaser/Flanger/Tremolo/Auto-Panning/Filter Sweep on the 'Dry' signal only
  • Dual Amps and or Cabs with separate EQ and/or Effects
  • No Reverb on the Delay trails
  • Etc..........

FWIW, i also like to use a touch of 40-60 ms delay to thicken the tone.

using the tape delay for this is a better option than the digital delay, imo. the softer sound and modulation of the tape delay add richness without it being harsh

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom