My genius (or hare-brained?) idea for FM9 pedalboard hack

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So, my FM9 will be arriving Monday (although looking at tracking, possibly today).

I've been trying to figure out the best way to maintain what I do with my Axe Fx III and FC-12, which utilizes 4 expression pedals.

This is a challenge because the FM9 only supports 3 expression pedals and/or single switches.

I've been aware of the Midi Expression IO device from AudioFront for a while and was planning to use it to connect 4 expression pedals via midi and then potentially add 3 extra switches via the jacks on the FM9.

This morning a little light went on - I wondered if the Expression IO would support dual switches on its jacks. I checked the manual and it does!

Further, it supports some midi routing, filtering and some other nifty things (I've only skimmed a few sections of the manual so far). You can assign a switch to change the CC of an expression pedal for example (I'm going to revisit the FC wish I made for this!).

So I could use it to add 6 switches and an expression pedal, then use the jacks on the FM9 for 3 more expression pedals.

Also, since it is midi, you could use it to record expression pedal midi for use when reamping (to capture wah or whammy control, for example).

The device is $149 USD and offers a lot of flexibility in a small package. No affiliation.

Alternatively, I might just grab a Voes MX-5 to get 5 switches and an expression jack (about $199 USD).

Depends on how DIY I'm feeling ;)

Links for anyone interested:

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

https://voes.be/mx5.html

I think using the MIDI Expression for switches and not continuous controllers sounds like the better of the two ideas. Let us know how it goes?
I'm pretty sure @hippietim has (or had) one and that it worked well for him for pedals.

Over the years I've used a number of Midi controllers with expression pedals with various devices and no real issues so I would hope this is no different. But it does offer a lot of options.

I'm currently thinking about a Temple board with switches directly thru the board (no enclosures) so I'm also leaning towards using it for switches, but we'll see :)

What the heck are you doing wIth 4 expression pedals? I don't mean that to sound like criticism, I'm genuinely curious.

Also, can't you switch what an expression pedal controls since you couldn't use them all at the same time anyways? I have no experience with a fractal product (on the waitlist) so this is probably a noob question. For example, in my Helix the built in pedal has a switch so it can control two things.

I'm currently thinking about a Temple board with switches directly thru the board (no enclosures) so I'm also leaning towards using it for switches, but we'll see :)
An FC fits nicely on a Duo board when set all the way back, leaving room for under-board switches in front of it. Since the FM9 = FC12 size-wise, it would be a great solution for adding switches. Let us know how it goes.... :)

So, my FM9 will be arriving Monday (although looking at tracking, possibly today).

I've been trying to figure out the best way to maintain what I do with my Axe Fx III and FC-12, which utilizes 4 expression pedals.

This is a challenge because the FM9 only supports 3 expression pedals and/or single switches.

I've been aware of the Midi Expression IO device from AudioFront for a while and was planning to use it to connect 4 expression pedals via midi and then potentially add 3 extra switches via the jacks on the FM9.

This morning a little light went on - I wondered if the Expression IO would support dual switches on its jacks. I checked the manual and it does!

Further, it supports some midi routing, filtering and some other nifty things (I've only skimmed a few sections of the manual so far). You can assign a switch to change the CC of an expression pedal for example (I'm going to revisit the FC wish I made for this!).

So I could use it to add 6 switches and an expression pedal, then use the jacks on the FM9 for 3 more expression pedals.

Also, since it is midi, you could use it to record expression pedal midi for use when reamping (to capture wah or whammy control, for example).

The device is $149 USD and offers a lot of flexibility in a small package. No affiliation.

Alternatively, I might just grab a Voes MX-5 to get 5 switches and an expression jack (about $199 USD).

Depends on how DIY I'm feeling ;)

https://voes.be/mx5.html
The midi expression is a great solution, I already remarked it also. Unfortunately from europe it will be such a cost with vat, duties and admin fee that the pricing would get beyond any acceptable level. A Voes pedal has the advantage that at least there is thes 7-colour leds and 2 pages, ..but I thought it had 2 exp inputs. Anyway, I have an FM3, with the mx5 and 2 exp pedals I would be largely satisfied.

Hmmm.... This would let me plug 4 pedals into the FM9 and easily share them with the FX3 via the nice soft-thru on the FM9's MIDI Out jack, and leave the three FM9 jacks open for up to three switches TBD.

It would also solve the interop issue with FC-connected controllers not sending CC info over MIDI to Logic, which could be captured, possibly edited if a timing issue occurred, and sent back to the FM9 (and FX3) during reamping.

I can power it with the same OneSpot that I've been using for my green FC6, since that will now be powered by FASLINK from the FX3.

Temple makes a nice 5-pin DIN MIDI pass-thru jack that fits the standard patchbay panel mount connector scheme.

Looks like my controllers Temple board is going to get one of these ExpressionIO boxes underneath....

What the heck are you doing wIth 4 expression pedals? I don't mean that to sound like criticism, I'm genuinely curious.

Also, can't you switch what an expression pedal controls since you couldn't use them all at the same time anyways? I have no experience with a fractal product (on the waitlist) so this is probably a noob question. For example, in my Helix the built in pedal has a switch so it can control two things.
You most definitely can use them at the same time. I sometimes control Wah and Whammy with 1 foot on both!

My typical kitchen sink presets use the following:

1 spring loaded EP-1 for Wah
1 spring loaded EP-1 for Whammy
1 EP-1 for Rotary speed with autoengage
1 EP-1 for Delay Mix+Feedback

No, you can't switch what a pedal controls within a given preset. You can do some things that may allow different things to be enabled or disabled while being simultaneously controlled by the same pedal but that has limited uses.

I actually have a wish for the ability to dynamically assign what a pedal controls, which would be helpful.

No, you can't switch what a pedal controls within a given preset. You can do some things that may allow different things to be enabled or disabled while being simultaneously controlled by the same pedal but that has limited uses.
I actually do that in one preset changing scenes and channels simultaneously, but have the expression pedal directly to the fm3 rear exp pedal input, not over midi.

I think using the MIDI Expression for switches and not continuous controllers sounds like the better of the two ideas. Let us know how it goes?

I used the MIDI Expression for an expression pedal because it lets you specify a min and max value. So I used it to control out 1 volume. My min value is rhythm volume and max (127) is solo level. Also, you can adjust the curve.

I’m using a Morningstar MC6 to do a similar task. I’ve set the front three buttons to switch the use of the single expression pedal as either volume (cc7) wah (cc8) or rotary/phaser speed (cc9). The back three buttons do looper rec/play/once. The good part is the buttons can also send cc messages to set the wah cc7 to 127 to disengage the wah block when the switch to another function is made. And they’ve just added custom expression pedal curves in the latest beta firmware so I can use a log curve for the volume to make small adjustments easier.

Lookee what arrived from Taipei today:

1002211207.jpg

Back
Top Bottom