My friend's amp died in the middle of a gig...

CipherHost

Experienced
I had my first gig in over 2 years tonight. In the middle of the second set, my friend's amp suddenly sounded anemic. He powered down and up again and it worked for a song and a half, then had just the faintest of sound, then went completely dead. I added Input 2 block at the beginning of the signal chain in about 20 seconds on the front panel and plugged him in. We finished the gig without further incident. When I'd kick in the Comp/Drive blocks for lead parts, the rhythm player would just use the volume knobs on our guitars. Worked out great! I love Fractal!

I had my first gig in over 2 years tonight. In the middle of the second set, my friend's amp suddenly sounded anemic. He powered down and up again and it worked for a song and a half, then had just the faintest of sound, then went completely dead. I added Input 2 block at the beginning of the signal chain in about 20 seconds on the front panel and plugged him in. We finished the gig without further incident. When I'd kick in the Comp/Drive blocks for lead parts, the rhythm player would just use the volume knobs on our guitars. Worked out great! I love Fractal!
Did you "plug" input 2 into your signal chain or did you create a separate one witn an amp and cab block for him? Wasn't the 2 guitar conflicting? Or was just to survive the gig?

What amp was he using?
Marshall DSL40

Think he’ll convert after this experience?
Not a chance. :) But he went on about how great it sounded... said it sounded better than his amp.

Did you "plug" input 2 into your signal chain or did you create a separate one witn an amp and cab block for him? Wasn't the 2 guitar conflicting? Or was just to survive the gig?
If I was more experienced setting up presets at the front panel, I likely could have created a separate signal path for him, but time was of the essence in that moment, so I just placed Input 2 at the beginning of the chain. We were both playing LP style guitars with PAF style HBs, so no conflicts as far as I could hear. Sounded great! Definitely done as an emergency band-aid (see what I did there). I get a kick out of myself. :)

If I was more experienced setting up presets at the front panel, I likely could have created a separate signal path for him, but time was of the essence in that moment, so I just placed Input 2 at the beginning of the chain. We were both playing LP style guitars with PAF style HBs, so no conflicts as far as I could hear. Sounded great! Definitely done as an emergency band-aid (see what I did there). I get a kick out of myself. :)
Even if was just an ok sound, still a win! Congrats on quick thinking!

Good save. Ive played a couple gigs where the pedalboard wasnt a quick diagnostic and just ended straight into my jcm800. Those gigs were frustrating, especially since i didnt have “replace things” money.

Back
Top Bottom