My Friedman ASM-12 Review

why is everyone worried about weight if it sounds good? I have a 4x12 that if it sounded good for my setup, I'd lug it anywhere. My passive CLR 's are pretty heavy but I don't care if my tone kicks a$$ :)

I would think that questions and comments about a product's feature set are to be expected and rather much the norm. 52lbs. per cab is a lot and some people highly value the Axe-FX paradigm and that includes being very much more light in weight and more portable than the rigs of the '80s and '90s.
Perhaps you have access to resources (including youth) that others don't and carrying large weights around is not possible or desirable for others. It's pretty easy to empathise regarding these matters.

I'm very much looking forward to Yek's review as he isn't necessarily looking for something to replace his current rig. The Friedman unit would have to win on many points in order to push out his current rig.

Last edited:
I'm 45...lol I'm come from the experience, if it's not built well, not solid construction then it's probably not going to sound that way. There is a reason a boogie 4x12 and a Stoneage cabinet sounds the way they do. I'm very interested in Yek's review as well.

thanks

I'm 45...lol I'm come from the experience, if it's not built well, not solid construction then it's probably not going to sound that way. There is a reason a boogie 4x12 and a Stoneage cabinet sounds the way they do. I'm very interested in Yek's review as well.

thanks

I'm 45 as well and have had two hernia surgeries, most likely from lugging 4x12s years ago. :)

I will say that with the Friedman, or any active cabs for that matter, it might be 52 lbs but it is a compact package of power amp and cab. In the old days of gigging, I was hauling a 4x12 cab that was almost double that and a heavy power amp.

Before the Friedman came out, I had my eyes on a CLR. In fact, I've probably been sneaking around the Atomic site for at least two years. :)

Yek knows tone and will be nice having a regular here on the forum comparing the two. Like I said, it is a win-win for all of us musicians as we'll have more choices out there.

Expecting it on Wednesday. One day too late for rehearsal alas.
So I'll test it at home.

yes I imagine people have back issues so don't think I am being insensetive to those people. I feel for them. I went to a 2x12 and had 2 of them, one boogie and one custom made one. In exchange I moved to 1 4x12 for both heads LOL. I need help carrying it in certain areas for sure but nothing compares to a nice 4x12 cabinet :)

THe CLR's that I have are not even active and they are still pretty heavy. They sound nice but your post got me SUPER curious. I am hoping Yek's review comes before the last days of 36 months at Sweetwater!!!!

It would be cool if the Friedman had handles on the sides like a Genz-Benz 2x12. However, I'm sure that affects the tone and probably not a good idea but makes for an interesting discussion. The ASM-12 is just small enough that two handles would make it a cinch to carry.

It wasn't horrible hauling it upstairs but I lifted it up and carried it at chest height with one hand on the handle and the other under the cab. I could have just used the handle and carried in on the side but just seemed to work easier. :)

Reactions: yek
Guys I'm gonna chip in with something, after having played one today..

So, I used to own an active CLR and really didn't like it..................... not at all. I tried a friend's RCF, and that, to me, killed the CLR. TODAY, I had the very pleasure of playing the Friedman ASM-12, with my guitar, my Axe-ii, in a studio environment... HOLY FARK!! Was it good!!! It was sensational. I lay-bought it and hopefully I'll pick it up in the next couple weeks and I am already honestly thinking about buying a second one..

Suffice to say, it's a weapon..

From a tech pov. the Friedmann uses a waveguide with the same radius as the woofer. You simply get a much smoother transition between both. In the most critical range of the guitar frequencies.

Compared to other dedicated guitar frfr cabs that uses small treble horns or coax units where the woofer membrane has to load the treble driver - and that's not a very good compromise.

I'm getting the Friedmann for sure.

I'm definitely interested now. I hope someone like Premier Guitar or equivalent will do a FRFR shootout including the Friedman, Matrix, Atomic, Gemini, and other options out there. It's hard to really discern if there's a clear winner based on the subjectivity of most of these reviews. I believe people when they say something is the best they've ever heard, but that doesn't mean they've really heard everything that's out there. Not a practical expectation for the average end user.

sadly you have to buy and decide for yourself. I've been trying things and spending so much money. I do like my setup now more than before but I still feel I am missing something. The CLR what I have tested has been the best that I have tried
but I'm very interested in this. David knows he stuff and I can't believe he would put his name on something that wasn't stellar.

I may just order two and if I don't like them, return them. It will cost me but at least I will know for sure :)

I'm wondering if Mark Day could do a demo on the Friedman ASM-12? I'm sure he has one or two connections from past relationships w/ Friedman.

I'm wondering if Mark Day could do a demo on the Friedman ASM-12? I'm sure he has one or two connections from past relationships w/ Friedman.

They already filmed some videos but not sure when they will come out. Not sure if Mark is doing them or someone else though.

I'm definitely interested now. I hope someone like Premier Guitar or equivalent will do a FRFR shootout including the Friedman, Matrix, Atomic, Gemini, and other options out there. It's hard to really discern if there's a clear winner based on the subjectivity of most of these reviews. I believe people when they say something is the best they've ever heard, but that doesn't mean they've really heard everything that's out there. Not a practical expectation for the average end user.

I don't look at this as a particular "winner" situation, especially since all of us have different needs, tones, etc. I think every company has provided something good to so many players out there. I mean if you look at videos and reviews, you'll see folks playing all of the cab companies mentioned above, including famous musicians. For me, the Friedman works for exactly what my particular needs are. As a hard rock/metal guy, it just has that certain tone that I love when hitting a chord. I can barely explain it further than that. It just has a nice "chug" that sounds clear as a bell and great for mosh pits. :)

What do you know ... the Friedman did come in before rehearsals. So I brought it with me.

Reporting in just before bedtime.
This is just a very first experience.
And the results are colored because I was also testing beta firmware, IRs and some settings, and ha dlittle time to adjust stuff between the songs.

TBH, I'm not impressed so far.
I started off putting it on a table, vertically.
That was no success. Didn't sound well.

On the floor it performed better.
Although there was some annoying low freq feedback at times, even with Low Cut engaged.

The overall tone seems rather scooped to me (reminded me of the RCF I owned).
I'd like to see its frequency chart.

It IS heavy. And it's a large monitor. Would be easier to carry vertically but there's no handle on the side.
The LEds are hard to see (low to the floor) and the controls are hard to reach.

It looks fantastic though.

I'll compare it to the CLRs tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom