AFIII My FRFR sounds vs Marco Fanton's, same preset

Indeed. Not sure about the ir, probably not, I realize now. It is a user number. I'm going to contact MF to find out which one he uses. And finally someone hears the difference.
No worries mate! The IR is the most important part in any tone. Unless they're the same, any comparison of the rest won't be conclusive.

EDIT: I checked out the preset with FracTool. It shows that it uses factory IRs, so something funky is happening.

Last edited:
No worries mate! The IR is the most important part in any tone. Unless they're the same, any comparison of the rest won't be conclusive.

EDIT: I checked out the preset with FracTool. It shows that it uses factory IRs, so something funky is happening.
Yes, I just checked too and I was wrong. The ir is factory.

It is weird, but it's like there is the dry sound of the pickups mixed in with the amp and cab. No, there isn't a parallel dry line.
This is something I noticed in this very first vid of this guitar I recorded at 6'43: I kick in the boost on the guitar, and suddenly the dry sound of the guitar jumps out.

I always have to back off the treble and mid with my EBMM Luke 3's as they are quite bright compared to my Gibson Les Paul and Suhr Tele.

I also need to back off the gain slightly on some presets as the active pickups in the Luke are very hot.

Yes, I just checked too and I was wrong. The ir is factory.

It is weird, but it's like there is the dry sound of the pickups mixed in with the amp and cab. No, there isn't a parallel dry line.
This is something I noticed in this very first vid of this guitar I recorded at 6'43: I kick in the boost on the guitar, and suddenly the dry sound of the guitar jumps out.

It sure sounds like it. Very strange. Send me the preset and system setup and I'll take a look. If there is a direct signal in parallel, it makes sense that it jumps out when you engage the boost on the volume pot. No compression makes it louder than the signal going through the amp block etc.

I always have to back off the treble and mid with my EBMM Luke 3's as they are quite bright compared to my Gibson Les Paul and Suhr Tele.

I also need to back off the gain slightly on some presets as the active pickups in the Luke are very hot.
Well, the pickups aren't active, but there is an active preamp behind them. But indeed, the low end in MF's clip can't be explained by the pickups

Depends on which version you have. The Dimarzio one is not bright IMHO. The new one with the Cutlass single coils is very glassy on those.

It sure sounds like it. Very strange. Send me the preset and system setup and I'll take a look. If there is a direct signal in parallel, it makes sense that it jumps out when you engage the boost on the volume pot. No compression makes it louder than the signal going through the amp block etc.
I'm not sure what preset that was in the clip, but I'll send my system setup when I figure out how to. Probably tomorrow.

Can't be done on that guitar. The pickup height is fixed. You need tinker with how the pickup is attached to the body to make that happen. Anyway, I have the same guitar, it's not low output by any stretch. Fairly hot pickup, followed by active electronics.

To the OP: I can hear what you're saying, there is not the same thump in your clip. Are you using a different IR than MF is? To me, it sounds like the difference is post distortion. That kind of low end isn't something that happens before the distortion.
Maybe push a bit the "proximity" parameter in the cab block. A value between 2 - 3 gives good results without walking on the bass player

I did a quick check with my Heritage H150 with SD '59s and it sounded quite similar.
Kramer Stagemaster with Alnico II Pro bridge humbucker was a tad brighter

I've been googling and going through the manual for exporting that system setup but can't find it. Can you tell me how to do that?

I've been googling and going through the manual for exporting that system setup but can't find it. Can you tell me how to do that?
Use Fractal-Bot.
Click the "receive mode" tab at the top.
Select your device.
Click "begin".
Select only "system + global blocks" etc.
Click "Ok".
Attach the file to a reply here.

This is interesting....
Are you using the same G66 preset he's playing in that clip?
Definitely a volume difference.....

It could be a number of things. This stuff about string gauges blew me away. It all adds up.

Attachments

• wk44_MF_Friedman_BE-100.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Spent an afternoon going through menus and ir's.

First I did a reset, and after a while I found the culprit for the lack of lowend: in the Cab block's preamp page, there's also a low cut and that was at 171hz.

I also find that on headphones it sounds better than through the monitors. I use a Soundcraft ui16 and Adam T7Vs. The highs of the latter break up in an unpleasant way. I think I need to ugrade them.
And maybe the bridge pickup on the Luke, I'd like to try something more PAF like in there.
The axe is also connected via usb to a laptop for editing

But the lowend is there now, and the phase issue also seems gone. I'm going to give my ears a rest for the rest of tbe day, and try tomorrow again.

Thanks for all the input!

First I did a reset, and after a while I found the culprit for the lack of lowend: in the Cab block's preamp page, there's also a low cut and that was at 171hz.
This points at one of the things I'd like to have in Edit: I want to be able to point to two blocks of the same type and have it tell me what the differences are. That'd make finding these sort of problems much faster.

I wonder if anyone is able to get the same sound as Marco. I can't. I bought a preset and it doesn't sound the same at all.
Maybe some post processing.
Also: His signature frfrs are 8" I believe. I am a noob, but I can't help thinking that a 12" and an 8" speaker will respond / sound very different(ly). I also asked him what to do to make my purchased preset sound like his, but he gave up after one response.

I wonder if anyone is able to get the same sound as Marco. I can't. I bought a preset and it doesn't sound the same at all.
Maybe some post processing.
Also: His signature frfrs are 8" I believe. I am a noob, but I can't help thinking that a 12" and an 8" speaker will respond / sound very different(ly). I also asked him what to do to make my purchased preset sound like his, but he gave up after one response.
Run the audio from Marcos videos and your Axe-Fx through the same monitors. Still miles apart?

You could ask him to send you a dry guitar signal that you can use to reamp on your side and see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom