AFIII My FRFR sounds vs Marco Fanton's, same preset

Jan Geerts

Experienced
Hi

I love the AxeIII with real cabs, but I'm working with studio monitors lately to avoid using earplugs all the time.
But I don't like the sound, I though it might have been because of ir's, but then I used one of MF's presets. Hear his recording vs mine.
What is going wrong in my setup? I recorded via usb with Quicktime,but with my Soundcraft and analog outs, it's the same

MF's recording is full and warm, mine has not nearly the same low end and sounds harsh. What is going on here?

Last edited:
Ask Marco how he records, if it's direct Axe Fx to DAW or if he ads some room mics. There's definitely some room sound I'm not hearing in your recording. There surely is a part of different guitar, the Les Paul model he uses, and last but not least, that man has over 35 years of performance behind him and knows how to get his sound fingerwise (intensity of pushing the strings, hit it with pick/fingers).
The guitar and the cab do a big part of the job though.
Maybe check if he uses the same cab IR, I believe he works a lot with Valhallir IR. Personnally I use a few presets just to play along one or 2 backing tracks he made, this to get a bit out of my out ballpark from time to time while band activity is zero since almost a year now; and sound is close to the same, even if I can't play half the way he does.

Marco's recording definitely sounds more stereo than yours, as your guitar seems to sound fine in fact. Are you sure using a stereo track or panning left/right if you use two mono channels ? Recently I was with a friend in his studio and we came to the conclusion that using a stereo track sounded way better, don't know why BTW.

Your mix isn't as hot as his. A louder signal is going to sound more full than a quieter one, and when I turned up the volume on your clip it sounded very close to his. Also it sounds like your pickups are hotter than his, and are pushing your amp block harder which will change the sound of the amp. Them's my $0.02.

Your mix isn't as hot as his. A louder signal is going to sound more full than a quieter one, and when I turned up the volume on your clip it sounded very close to his. Also it sounds like your pickups are hotter than his, and are pushing your amp block harder which will change the sound of the amp. Them's my $0.02.
There is a big difference in low-end though, and I don't think aforementioned fingers can add that :D

Ask Marco how he records, if it's direct Axe Fx to DAW or if he ads some room mics. There's definitely some room sound I'm not hearing in your recording. There surely is a part of different guitar, the Les Paul model he uses, and last but not least, that man has over 35 years of performance behind him and knows how to get his sound fingerwise (intensity of pushing the strings, hit it with pick/fingers).
The guitar and the cab do a big part of the job though.
Maybe check if he uses the same cab IR, I believe he works a lot with Valhallir IR. Personnally I use a few presets just to play along one or 2 backing tracks he made, this to get a bit out of my out ballpark from time to time while band activity is zero since almost a year now; and sound is close to the same, even if I can't play half the way he does.

I hope it is the IR. I have been playing that long too, not quite as good as him, but I don't think you can get that low-end just with your fingers :D

your pickups don't sound as hot. because he's playing a les paul which doesn't have very hot pickups, that would suggest to me that your bridge pickup is too far away from the strings. which would also contribute to the lack of bass. there doesn't sound like there's anything actually wrong with the recording.

Marco is using his studio monitors as he's playing, and because he's able to get controlled feedback I have to think they're loud. That will affect the low and midrange sound of the guitar through acoustic coupling; It's why we're always told to fine tune the sound of a patch at stage volume.

He's also on a Les Paul style guitar and they're known for a thicker sound because of the body. I've had several and they were always much thicker sounding than any of my other humbucker-equipped guitars, whether I had Gibson pickups or 3rd-party.

your pickups don't sound as hot. because he's playing a les paul which doesn't have very hot pickups, that would suggest to me that your bridge pickup is too far away from the strings. which would also contribute to the lack of bass. there doesn't sound like there's anything actually wrong with the recording.
Can't be done on that guitar. The pickup height is fixed. You need tinker with how the pickup is attached to the body to make that happen. Anyway, I have the same guitar, it's not low output by any stretch. Fairly hot pickup, followed by active electronics.

To the OP: I can hear what you're saying, there is not the same thump in your clip. Are you using a different IR than MF is? To me, it sounds like the difference is post distortion. That kind of low end isn't something that happens before the distortion.

Can't be done on that guitar. The pickup height is fixed. You need tinker with how the pickup is attached to the body to make that happen. Anyway, I have the same guitar, it's not low output by any stretch. Fairly hot pickup, followed by active electronics.

To the OP: I can hear what you're saying, there is not the same thump in your clip. Are you using a different IR than MF is? To me, it sounds like the difference is post distortion. That kind of low end isn't something that happens before the distortion.
Indeed. Not sure about the ir, probably not, I realize now. It is a user number. I'm going to contact MF to find out which one he uses. And finally someone hears the difference.

Back
Top Bottom