My FRFR Shootout (QSC, Verve, RCF, JBL)

BBN

Fractal Fanatic
Most of these speakers were auditioned in my basement, but a couple were at a pro audio dealer. The pro audio dealer had a back room with a stage, where they let me set up their speakers and some of mine….and crank them up.

Please remember, this is just my opinion. There is no science going on here….just my ears and my patches. I don’t make a living playing music, but I have been playing guitar for 20+ years, I play 120+ gigs a year. And like most folks on the forum, I’ve owned an array of tube amps over the years. My style is hard rock…Zakk Wylde/Disturbed tone.

My Rank (from best to worst):
1) FBT Verve 12ma
2) Tie QSC HPR 122i and Atomic FRFR
3) FBT Verve 8ma
4) Tie QSC K12 / JBL PRX612
5) RCF ART200a
6) JBL MRX515 (powered by Crown CE4000)
7) Carvin 1542a

Here’s what I liked and didn’t like (I’ll go from worst to best):

Carvin 1542a – no matter how much Eq’ing I did, it sounded like razor blades to my ears. The horn in these are just not pleasing with guitar signal. I use this as a cheap vocal monitor, and that’s where it’s going to stay. If I didn’t need these for vocal monitors, I would use them to chalk the wheels on my van when unloading gear.

JBL MRX515 – I was very disappointed with this speaker. For $700 (un-powered), I expected a higher quality sound. The JBL boxes seem to have harsh top end. Maybe this is part of the design to help vocals cut through a mix. Anyway, for a 15” driver, this had the least amount of low end handling. As soon as I did any palm muting, it fell apart.

RCF ART200a – this is not a bad speaker at all. Held together pretty well on the low end and had a decent top end tone. My only complaint is that it didn’t have enough volume and girth. But it’s a 200 watt box…so it puts out what I would expect. This is one of the older model RCF’s, so I would think the new models (with higher wattage) would be great. I’m a big fan of RCF.

JBL PRX612 – This is the new JBL powered series. I wish I spent more time auditioning this box, because it had potential. This had a ‘less’ harsh top end than other JBL speakers I’ve tried and a solid low end. The top end seemed like it could be tamed pretty easily with some parametric Eq. This box is worth checking out if you’re in the market, because they’re not as expensive as the QSC K or KW series.

QSC K12 – I know a lot of people love this box, but it didn’t have enough girth for me. The top end was smooth and I liked that quite a bit. But for low end, the chugging/palm muting made this box crap out when I got to a decent volume. At the time I had it side by side with my QSC HPR122i…and the K12 just could not keep up at high volumes. I had the box set flat…no ‘Deep’ button…and I Eq’d it separately so it was not being ‘expected’ to handle the low end that the HPR was. I was feeding it less low end and it still couldn’t handle it.

FBT Verve 8ma – I demo’d this box because the local FBT dealer wasn’t able to get me a 12ma to try. Well as soon as I plugged into the 8ma, I ordered the 12ma. This little box sounded beautiful. Very clear mid range, smooth top end. It didn’t respond as low as the 12” boxes, but the low end it did have was tight..tight..tight. Great little box.

Atomic FRFR – sounds great! Very good match with the Axe. The only reason I didn’t buy one is because they were out of stock for too long. (yes, I know they’re available now). The only thing I’ll say on the down side about the Atomic, is that it could not keep up volume wise to my QSC HPR122i. When they were pushed to ‘louder’ than gig level volumes, the tweeter on the Atomic started breaking up. The QSC did not break up. Atomic is still plenty loud, but just pointing that out.

QSC HPR122i – I used this as my gig speaker for a while. This box has a spectacular low end thump to it. Really pounds for heavy rhythms. The only reason I went looking for a different box is because there is just something a little grainy about the high mid freq range. I always fought with getting that just right on my patches…and I did have it sounding very good….but then after hearing the top end on the K12’s, Atomics….I knew that although the HPR had a punch like no other, I needed something that also had great top end clarity (this led to me to the search for a FBT dealer).

FBT Verve 12ma – this is the FRFR solution for me. After reading all the raves on the forum, I knew I had to hear one of these. So I contacted FBT USA looking for dealers in New England. They put me in touch with a store in Brockton, MA. The store was able to get me a Verve 8ma to try in the store, but could not get the 12ma until I put money down. Well, the 8ma absolutely rocked (I almost left my HPR122i in the store and ran out with the Verve 8ma)….but instead I ordered a 12ma. The 12ma sounds like the 8ma with a little more girth. The HPR122i responds slightly lower than the Verve 12ma….just a little. But after dialing the low end a bit, the two are very close. The mid and top end is no contest. The Verve sounds more open, clean and pleasing.
Jay Mitchell is always talking about how if you have clean solid state power and a true flat response speaker, and your tone still sounds bad….then it’s what you’ve dialed in that is bad. Well when I listened to my patches (created for my HPR) on the Verve, I heard all kinds of nasal and unpleasing tone that I had dialed in to get my QSC to cut in the high/mid area. Now that I can hear them…I pulled those rogue frequencies out (that I dialed in with PEQ) and boom…nice and clean. I can really just use the Axe amp controls and get a tone I like. Not as much need for GEQ or PEQ. I no longer feel that I have to dial in a lot of “corrective EQ”.
This may sound stupid but – all of the amp controls now have much more ‘control’. When I turn up the Presence….it gets brighter….when I change amp models, it’s a big difference. This wasn’t the case with a lot of the other FRFRs I tried. A lot of the amp models sounded similar, and no matter how much I dialed, the top end never really cleaned up nice.
Not any more! For my purpose, the Verve seems to be amplifying the Axe FX more appropriately…or more the way I would expect.

Please remember this is my opinion…your results may vary.

Any questions, please ask away.

Also, if anyone would like to do a true FRFR shootout in the Boston/New Hampshire area, let me know….I’d be willing to pull together a pile of my gear.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

I haven't played in a band in almost a year and dont hope to do so for at least another couple of years. Can the FBT 8ma hold up in terms of volume in a band over the drummer? We had a 300 lb drummer and it was a Thrash metal band. I've already got confirmation that the 12ma can. :mrgreen:

In terms of size, is the 12ma bulkier than the QSC K12?

If I was playing thrash metal, I would go with the 12ma.
For my personal taste, i would probably go with two (of any speaker). If your drummer can hit hard, sometimes you have to be able to put him in his place with a wall of tone.

I think the 8ma would have a tough time keeping up.
The 8ma would be great for a cover band type gig, where you have a nice full PA, and you don't need a cranking stage volume.

The 12ma is a little smaller than the K12. Another plus.
It really puts out for such a small box.

If you already have a K12, I would grab a 12ma and use them both.

I ran a K12 and HPR together....and then the 12ma and the HPR together.
Both of those combos created a monster tone.
Tough on the wallet...but sure is fun to crank up.

I own a FBT 8ma and really like it.Before I used the QSC HPR122i and they sounded good and could get reaally loud. But I share the impression of not linear upper mids. Recently sold it because of the high weight.

The FBT 8ma is a very good monitor. Its neutral with tight bass and amazingly loud for its size. I mostly play acoustic and can concur with our drummer in terms of volume, but he is not playing too loud. The big advantages are neutral sound, small size and weight and the coaxial driver layout which minimizes phasing effects. I use it for personal monitoring.

For loud bands and big stages I would buy the 12ma instead.

DieSchmalle said:
The FBT 8ma is a very good monitor......the big advantages are neutral sound, small size and weight....

And the fact that it can fit in a back pack!
I loved that 8ma. If it was cheaper, I'd buy that as well to keep in my living room. Still may...who knows.

I would actually love to try the Verve 15ma as well ast some point.
I can imagine that it would take the punch of the 12ma a step further...

Very cool report. Your findings shoehorn really well with my opinions of the actual units in your shoot-out that I have tried.

I've been using the little 8ma for a while and it's truly the best value and form factor going IMHO. I really want a 12ma to move air and add the 'thump' back to things when I want to make things fall off shelves and frighten old people. But I've gigged the 8ma with loud drummers; as long as you are on-axis and do NOT require the thump, you can hear it and it works great. What it gives up versus the 12ma (that I have checked out in person next to an HPR122 and the 8ma) is really just more THUMP and slam on the low end. You can hear the 8ma, but you can't feel it rearranging your insides on heavy percussive stuff. :D

Well done report. Real world stuff like what you just did and posted is exceptionally helpful and useful to real folks. I appreciate the trouble you went to and your effort to share it. Bravo!

Mackie SRM450: harsh top end, good for vocals... plenty of bottom end, I have to tame it down with global eq, but it is pleasant (not too tight, not loose, once tweaked).

Mackie SRM350: harsh top end, little bottom end: good for monitor purpouse, it cut the stage, IMHO.

I've owned the Mackie SRM450's...but not the new HD series.
I will say this, a couple years back when I was in search of some powered 12's for small to medium gigs as my main speakers....I went to a pro audio dealer that had Mackie SRM450V2, QSC HPR122i, RCF312 and JBL PRX512's...all set up. I threw in a Three Days Grace CD (chunky guitars and tight drums) and the guy CRANKED them to the point of peaking. Each speaker was fed through an Aux on a Allen & Heath board...so I just went back and forth between all of them.

So slightly different test because I was playing recorded music (and didn't own an Axe at the time), but the QSC was the winner. Mackie and RCF (both being plastic boxes ironically) sounded muffled when compared to the JBL and QSC's. They sounded boxey. The QSC and the JBL both were very clear at loud volumes and very punchy. The JBL top end had a certain bightness/harshness at super high volumes that the QSC's did not have. That's why I went with QSC's.

A little off topic...but just more information on some speakers I've tried.

I love my 12ma with the Axe. Very clear and open and the dispersion is great. We are usually IEM but I have been thinking about picking up a second one so I can use them for a small PA for rehearsal, coffee house type stuff, guitar and vocals, maybe a keyboard etc.

Has anyone used them for a small room FOH solution? Can anyone who has used both share how they compare with the QSC HPR122i volume wise?

Nice to see this kind review, I just got a call earlier today from shop that my FBT 12ma arrived after month and a half waiting :) Too bad I'm on the vacation and can't get it right now, but I sure will right after vacation :)

Actually I have not heard one in action, but I fell it won't disappoint me :)

Any recommendations for slip cover ? Tuki made me nice padded cover for Mesa Vertical Recto 2x12 once.

WKG said:
Has anyone used them for a small room FOH solution?

I have used my 12m's with a QSC MX 1850 for power and they were kind of week but I was also running vocals, Axe and an electronic drum kit through it as well. The room size was on the order of roughly 60X120, I have used them in a smaller room 60X40 with the same equipment and instruments and thats about it when it comes to using the 12" driver to fill things up. After that you need a sub, if it was the Axe only you might be able to get away with carrying a larger room.

BBN said:
Well when I listened to my patches (created for my HPR) on the Verve, I heard all kinds of nasal and unpleasing tone that I had dialed in to get my QSC to cut in the high/mid area. Now that I can hear them…I pulled those rogue frequencies out (that I dialed in with PEQ)
"Rogue frequencies," huh? Are those related to "orphan harmonics?" If a harmonic is orphaned as a child, will it become a rogue frequency when it grows up? :lol:

Sixstring said:
WKG said:

I have used my 12m's with a QSC MX 1850 for power and they were kind of week but I was also running vocals, Axe and an electronic drum kit through it as well. The room size was on the order of roughly 60X120, I have used them in a smaller room 60X40 with the same equipment and instruments and thats about it when it comes to using the 12" driver to fill things up. After that you need a sub, if it was the Axe only you might be able to get away with carrying a larger room.

Thanks, that helps. I am guessing the 12ma's may have a little more kick, 300w vs 400w rating? I really like the 12ma for the Axe but it'd be nice to be able to do occasional double duty without having to sink cash into a pair of different speakers.

WKG said:
Sixstring said:
WKG said:

Thanks, that helps. I am guessing the 12ma's may have a little more kick, 300w vs 400w rating? I really like the 12ma for the Axe but it'd be nice to be able to do occasional double duty without having to sink cash into a pair of different speakers.

The 12mA's will have better efficiency over the 12m's for sure, having separate amps for the driver and tweet is a big plus.

I recently had the opportunity to play through an HPR122i. This was in a big warehouse, virtually like being outdoors as we were rehearsing near the middle of the building. I didn't have time to tweak patches other than messing around with the global EQ a bit.

In this situation, the QSC was adequate but not overly impressive - especially in the low end. And using the LO-Z input from the Ultra's Out 1, I had to pretty much peg the Output knob.

I have experienced a similar thing using Marshall 4x12 cabs outside, the low end disappears.

Jay Mitchell said:
BBN said:
Well when I listened to my patches (created for my HPR) on the Verve, I heard all kinds of nasal and unpleasing tone that I had dialed in to get my QSC to cut in the high/mid area. Now that I can hear them…I pulled those rogue frequencies out (that I dialed in with PEQ)
"Rogue frequencies," huh? Are those related to "orphan harmonics?" If a harmonic is orphaned as a child, will it become a rogue frequency when it grows up? :lol:

:lol:

GuitarDojo said:
Jay Mitchell said:
BBN said:

:lol:

They even have names... like Splash, Honk and woof.

Back
Top Bottom